WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

etiquette-the customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Sorry for all of my posts. I don't know how to edit posts yet to cut back on my responses potentially flooding a thread.

"Take special measures at shelters. Keep your dog leashed in the shelter area, and ask permission of other hikers before allowing your dog in a shelter. Be prepared to "tent out" when a shelter is crowded, and on rainy days." Taken from the site you linked.

First come, first serve. I will ask but once accepted I will not leave because I don't have the permission of a hiker that may come after me. The "be prepared" bit is something I've already covered. If you feel so very strongly that I'm breaking the law then feel free to report me to the authorities. But from my experience out on the trail, the canine hikers don' receive as much discrimination as they do on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    etiquette-the customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group.
    And that there is a problem, I think. There was already some thoughts over who gets priority to stay in a shelter, thru-hikers vs others. Thankfully "etiquette" does not equal law or regulation.

As long as the dog is a thru hiker it should be fine!!!. People need to relax ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtra View Post
    And that there is a problem, I think. There was already some thoughts over who gets priority to stay in a shelter, thru-hikers vs others. Thankfully "etiquette" does not equal law or regulation.
    The thread is a discussion of what hikers consider etiquette. Simply because one person holds one opinion does not make it a rule of etiquette. General agreement by a group is what makes etiquette.

For instance, farting in a shelter is generally given a pass, and even encouraged to some degree by hikers, but not considered polite by non-hikers.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

...and hiker table manners--isn't that an oxymoron--should we even go there?
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtra View Post
    Lone Wolf - I will not fall victim to online intimidation or passive aggressive insults to my integrity.

However if you, Kevin, or anyone else can tell me that shelters are legitimately off limits to dogs (whether in general or specific locations along the AT)....
    THEN I'll respect that and setup my tarp. Without that I'm afraid "....Because...." just isn't good enough.
    just pointin' out most dog owners don't agree with you. nothing intimidating there. you seem on edge

Occasionally lucid

Wet gear stays outside.
    Dogs stay outside unless it is a good mouse catcher.
    I set up the tent in a shelter once to get away from the mosquitoes. I was the only one in the shelter so I was cool with myself.
    GA -> ME
    '86 -> '89

How about fartin' at the table? How about right before meals. I've let some and had others say they smell tuna and it makes them hungry. Is that poor etiquette or just being mean?
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Food fights in shelters are poor etiquette. The splashes attract mice.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I ussually like to: fart while sleeping in the buff due to suffereing from IBI, dry my wet clothes by hanging up a clothes line over everyones personal space, let my wet muddy lab tramps around inside, smoke more then cigrits haunched in the corner, cook on the sleeping floor, not being clean while doing so, leave lots of snacks out for later int he night, drink a six pack o busch belching alot crumpling my cans and tossing the in the small meazly fire someone else created. No need to use the smelly privy ill just hunker down behind the shelter against the wall and do my business there. Ill stay up late at night on my phone calling home and im sorry if I accidentally take some of your stuff as i pack up the next morning no harm ment
    To the shelter Im your bunk buddy lmao
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Discourtesy abounds in the woods regardless of shelters. Shelters are just places where a bunch of different tired, smelly, and opinionated people can concentrate and piss each other off.

In the west where there are no shelters, people will still congregate around prime camping areas and do whatever the hell they please. In a sense you cant get too pissed off, because it is the wilderness and there are few "rules", per se. But in another sense it is endlessly aggravating when people insist on shoving their lifestyle in everyone else's faces just because they can. This happens in city life every single day, but in the woods it is more bothersome because you go out there to largely be left alone. There is a certain expectation of etiquette---as in not camping too close to other folks, being discreet with your bodily wastes, packing out trash, being respectful with cell phones, and being reasonably quiet after dark.

As in civilized life, however, most people are only concerned with etiquette when it affects them directly; not when they may be imposing on others and have to modify their lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken Skullz View Post
    Uhh, nobody said that thru hikers have precedence at shelters over day hikers or section hikers. They have a lot longer days than the above mentioned folks and deserve the space in my opinion.

The worse they smell the higher the priority they get in a shelter.
    Thru-hikers are more experienced and better prepared than most section hikers so there for thru-hikers should make room for the ill prepared section hikers. Day Hikers only use shelters as day use such as Lunch breaks and if a day hiker did have to sleep in a shelter I would gladly give up my space for that person. Take tent and use it.

Nice opinion
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

I always sleep in a tent so I don't have a true shelter experience, but I do normally tent near a shelter. I have to say that every person that I've ever met in and around shelters has been pretty nice. Threads like this make it sound like everyone staying in shelters is a terrible person. That is hardly the case.

Would it go against shelter etiquette by using ouija boards in or near the shelters

i gave up my shelter spot a few times, even set up my tent once for a father daughter team that wasn't quite prepared. i do prefer the tent 99% of the time
    as me and my dog would usually be hiking by 5 am or so. she was a big black fur coat, so we hiked in the shadows as much as possible, and we night hiked quite a bit. can't say i always kept my dog out of shelters, if my friends in the shelter would offer us a spot and welcome us in, then we would shelter. at times others would come and we'd go set up the tent anyways to make room. but the one shelter etiquette i would always do would be to gather my things and go away from the shelter 50 feet or so and pack up, we were usually the first out of the shelter in the morning. we loaded a shelter or two with wood if bored & or waiting on a friend to catch up. its not work if you enjoy it :-)
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 08-21-2014 at 15:07.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    I always sleep in a tent so I don't have a true shelter experience, but I do normally tent near a shelter. I have to say that every person that I've ever met in and around shelters has been pretty nice. Threads like this make it sound like everyone staying in shelters is a terrible person. That is hardly the case.
    Indeed. The bad apples do tend to stick in the memory, though. Most shelter crowds are quite congenial.

I dislike shelters because of the damp, the wind and the vermin, none of which are nearly as much of a problem in my tent. The vermin of the human variety are vanishingly rare, while the damp, the wind and the mice are pretty much a given at the shelters.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Would it go against shelter etiquette by using ouija boards in or near the shelters
    Probably not. But chalking a pentagram on the shelter floor is right out.

Well, I have had dogs most of my life but would not take them into a shelter. It just doesn't seem right. I have only been on the AT in Virginia and have not seen any dogs actually. I have stayed other places and without specific acceptance noted I think most people expect that dogs would not be in a shared sleeping place. If you went somewhere that most people would expect dogs to be like a dog park, no one would expect someone who is not a dog lover to show up and make everyone remove them. I just think the favor should be returned, why make everyone accept them? I had one dog that was very comfortable sleeping outside and in fact did not like staying in a tent. If the dog is going to sleep outside the shelter then I don't think there should be any issue from anyone. I will make a run at the AT when I retire in just under a year. It would be nice to take my dog but right now I don't intend to. Not only because of shelters but hitch hiking, hotels and restaurants when visiting towns.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++