WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    just pointin' out most dog owners don't agree with you. nothing intimidating there. you seem on edge
    You have absolutely no idea just how many dog owners and handlers I know, and just how many of them agree with me. But unlike you I know that I can't prove that or even produce nonbiased statistics on the matter to support my claim. For the record, I'm not "on edge", I just dislike you.

I like dogs and dogs like me, but PLEASE keep your flea and tick infested dog out of the shelter so other people don't have to deal with your dog. Sure you have the best well behaved and friendly dog in the world, but that does not matter. I, nor do anyone else wants your dog walking on my sleeping bag, licking my face, begging for food or barking in the middle of the night every time it hears some sound in the woods or someone moves around in the shelter.

If you hike with a dog you have an obligation to tent away from everyone else. You have no right to inflict your dog on others. We have a right to enjoy the woods without your dog. The only ones who think a dog isn't a problem are the selfish, inconsiderate dog owners.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I like dogs and dogs like me, but PLEASE keep your flea and tick infested dog out of the shelter so other people don't have to deal with your dog. Sure you have the best well behaved and friendly dog in the world, but that does not matter. I, nor do anyone else wants your dog walking on my sleeping bag, licking my face, begging for food or barking in the middle of the night every time it hears some sound in the woods or someone moves around in the shelter.

If you hike with a dog you have an obligation to tent away from everyone else. You have no right to inflict your dog on others. We have a right to enjoy the woods without your dog. The only ones who think a dog isn't a problem are the selfish, inconsiderate dog owners.
    Thank you Slo-go'en. That needed to be said. Maybe it will help.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

... keep your flea and tick infested dog out of the shelter ...
    Assumption.

...your dog walking on my sleeping bag, licking my face, begging for food or barking in the middle of the night every time it hears some sound in the woods or someone moves around in the shelter...
    Assumption x4. When inside of a shelter my dog will be on his pad only, he isn't allowed to approach people to give or receive affection (nor would I want him near you), he doesn't beg, and he doesn't bark. However if he did any one of those things, or any other disruptive behavior, he would lose shelter rights. I'm very strict with him and wouldn't want him to get away with bad behaviors - for fear that it may become a habit.

If you hike with a dog you have an obligation to tent away from everyone else.
    No, I don't.

You have no right to inflict your dog on others.
    Yes, I do.

We have a right to enjoy the woods without your dog.
    Yes, you do. The wilderness is large, it is possible to share ground or floor space.

The only ones who think a dog isn't a problem are the selfish, inconsiderate dog owners.
    Considering your level of prejudice, there really isn't anything I can say or do to convince you otherwise.

i'm gonna go hiking soon, not take a tent, sleep in shelter, right next to my dog, and hang dry my wets in the shelter

Can't we all just get along......Dogtra....shelters suck!! I hike w my jrt...better off in your tent w the dog...my dog does keep the mice away!!he is a mouse killing machine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I'm glad that there are some people that won't mind me bringing my pet skunk with me. He's normally fine, but when he cuts lose... WOW. All over the place! I wouldn't have thought it very nice to bring him into the shelter before this thread, but I see that animals have rights too!

I am a dog owner and completely agree. We I bring my dog, he listens, we tent. no problems.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

dogs are more comfortable in or near the tent, will not be stepped on & less on edge with less people around
    better off tenting

Quote Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
    Well, I'm glad that there are some people that won't mind me bringing my pet skunk with me. He's normally fine, but when he cuts lose... WOW. All over the place! I wouldn't have thought it very nice to bring him into the shelter before this thread, but I see that animals have rights too!
    You must realize that childish statements like that only serve to invalidate your side of this debate.... Please do better.

Dogtra
    You certainly do not have a right to inflict your dog on other people.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Dogtra
    You certainly do not have a right to inflict your dog on other people.
    Then please tell me where it says that I don't and who says so. Please.
    Outside of the warm and tolerant people here in this thread, that is.

Once a year or so we get someone like Dogtra. Why can't we all admit that she has all the answers and the rest of us are wrong?

I don't have all the answers, tyvfm.

I happen to disagree with you. Its not the end of the world.
    Must have said it a dozen times now but I'll say it again - IF me or my dog are disruptive, we WILL leave the shelter. I'm not debating that dog owners have a right to stay at a shelter even if they're a PITA. I AM saying that I will not tolerate being judged by peers based solely on the presence of my dog. If I'm at a shelter, park, etc that has laws in place prohibiting dogs from staying in shelters - I would honor that.

dogs are allowed in shelters with permission from all other hikers using the shelter, be prepared to move out and tent if more hikers show up. straight from the A.T.C.
    with that said your dog will sleep better in the tent and be more rested away from the shelters

once a year or so a newbie comes in here, and they get their tails chewed off by self righteous self appointed trail law

this board does more to turn people off of the trail than introduce people to it.

telling people to just stay home?!? SMH shame on yall

the cabal has spoken, the law handed down on the mountaintops... all lesser hikers obey!

I think this horse is beyond dead.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

funny how that happens when folks get called out on their arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    dogs are allowed in shelters with permission from all other hikers using the shelter, be prepared to move out and tent if more hikers show up
    So if his dog has been in the shelter all evening, sitting on his mat & not causing an issue for any other hikers... They'll be "forced out" when one of the AT Supreme Overlords of whiteblaze comes walking in late?

I'd point out the closest flat ground for you & go back to sleep lol.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++