WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
    That is quite a bizarre story. I guess that I'd expect someone with a dog that expected to be asked for permission to pet it, (unless it's a labeled service animal) to keep it out of public places, which includes the AT. I've met many dogs on the trail and they usually approach me with their tails wagging wanting attention. I pet them. Some dogs aren't as outwardly friendly so I ask the owners if they are friendly. I pet them if they are friendly. Perhaps you might want to pin a sign to the front of your shirt informing people that they need to ask permission to pet your dog. I suspect that would solve the problem, and I doubt you'll get many requests lol.
    The fact that you believe so is proof how far gone people are in this society.
    My dog = my property. Simply put. Nobody has the right to pet him without permission, whether he is a pet or otherwise. Its just people aren't educated on that and just do what they want. My dog does have a vest stating that he is working and very clearly states DO NOT PET. Would you like to know what happens more often when he is wearing it? People reach for him. Yup. Its like pushing the red button that says "Do Not Push this Button" directly beneath it. More over when I correct these people for petting him, many of them get an attitude with me.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    My question is what would your dog due in the event of a encounter with a bear? Will it run with its tail between its legs? Will it bark and just generally raise hell? Worst of all will it cause the bear to go on the offensive and attack you and your dog and anyone else around you? This is something that could happen while hiking the AT or while camped at a shelter. If you can't answer these questions honestly is it worth bringing your dog with you? I certainly would not want to lose a dog under such conditions.

Just something to think about.
    He would sit or stand near me with his eyes on it if possible and his nose working over time, taking it in. The same as he treats goats, horses, cats, birds, cattle, deer, and... skunk (though I ran like a banshee with him on a recall when I realized it). Don't know how he would react to being charged as it hasn't happened by a bear yet. When cattle or horses do it, he just returns to a full heel and waits for me to take over.

There are risks for everyone that chooses to step outside their homes.
    What keeps us doing it? Rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    All you got to know is ; IF? your dog is clean and well behaved, then the last place you want it is shackin up next me for the night. By morning i will have taught it how to beg and hump legs and it will be infested with fleas, ticks, ear mites. And also have picked up a bad case of the mange.

you've been warned.
    Forgive me in advance if you were only jesting here.

But if you touch my dog or any other part of my property with the intent to cause harm, be ready for what comes afterwards. When the dust settles, you and I are separated, I'll gladly see you in court.

I respect you and yours - I deserve the same.

Dogtra you need to calm down just a little bit. when someone posts to a thread it's their opinion it's not personal.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtra View Post

But if you touch my dog or any other part of my property with the intent to cause harm, be ready for what comes afterwards. When the dust settles, you and I are separated, I'll gladly see you in court.

Dogtra, You've done very well at explaining your reasoning and defending your position. Some of us agree with you; some of us don't. That's just how it is.
    The big green smiley face is a clear indication that he was only jesting, certainly not provoking. And it may even be an attempt to interject a little humor and calm into the discussion. Your post above was an unwelcome escalation.

Hey...don't you all find it ironic that the OP's name is squeezebox and we are all arguing about fitting people, dogs, etc. into wooden boxes in the woods?

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Dogtra, You've done very well at explaining your reasoning and defending your position. Some of us agree with you; some of us don't. That's just how it is.
    The big green smiley face is a clear indication that he was only jesting, certainly not provoking. And it may even be an attempt to interject a little humor and calm into the discussion. Your post above was an unwelcome escalation.
    Large reason why I posted the first sentence. Internet communication has its faults. Its hard for me to read something like that and think its okay just because he planted an emote on it. If it was truly uncalled for like you say, then I apologize to you and him. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Hey...don't you all find it ironic that the OP's name is squeezebox and we are all arguing about fitting people, dogs, etc. into wooden boxes in the woods?
    That is ironic. Squeezing everything and everybody into a box.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Everyone take a deep breath and step away from the keyboard. It's all just opinion here, no need to get in a huff about it. Please let's all try to dial it back a bit and be more friendly to each other.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Opinions are like A.. Holes....everyone has one!!! This is topic is like a car wreck....can't help but lookin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Large reason why I posted the first sentence. Internet communication has its faults. Its hard for me to read something like that and think its okay just because he planted an emote on it. If it was truly uncalled for like you say, then I apologize to you and him. Sorry.
    Thank you!

On another subject, I must confess I am one of those irresponsible dog owners. As I read several of your posts, I envied your control over your dog. I can count on my dog to do whatever HE wants. He's an 8-year-old rescued Border collie, and he lives up to the breed's reputation in intelligence and energy. He knows where the food comes from, and he's learned to enjoy being petted, but that's about all the control I have. He cooperates when it suits him.
    My dog doesn't go with me on the trail. The only place he goes is to the vet, so nobody on here will ever meet him.

Every year I see posts about how dogs keep bears away from shelters.

You folks that believe in the old tale that bears are afraid of dogs might want to do some Google.

There are several attacks each year in the Eastern United States where either owner and dog or just dogs are attacked.

Probably won't find it on the AT, because you won't find bear attacks on the AT.......Yet.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I think he was possibly wooing your K9 companion for cuddling & swapping of pesky insects lol.

I'm jealous of your dog's behavior as well. Can't imagine the countless hours it's taken to get to that level. I'm content that my dog will come back immediately when told to do so, regardless of what's catching his attention (haven't tried a bear yet though lol).

I agree with you that if a dog is well behaved & not a bothersome to others, it has every right to stay with you in the shelter. I think many dog owners, on trails, just let their dogs do as they please, resulting in the negative opinions you see on here.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Ace View Post
    I finally figured it out: Shelters were intentionally built to collect in one place all of the people with all of the bad habits listed in this thread so that the rest of us can enjoy a peaceful night alone in the woods.
    That's just awesome.

I think many issues could be resolved by tenting it. My own rule of thumb was I would not use shelters unless there was ample room in them and only if it was cold/rainy. If the weather is nice and/or the shelter is crowded, I would rather tent.
    Last edited by Mags; 08-22-2014 at 17:34.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I think many dog owners, on trails, just let their dogs do as they please, resulting in the negative opinions you see on here.

that's exactly how i see it....and not only on a trail, but in "normal" society as well...........

and most people think its okay as in "hey, it's just a dog----what harm is it?"

one thing ive never understood about people walking their dogs in my neighborhood----why do you let your dog poop on other people's lawns? and then not clean it up? the reason you're walking your pooch around is so that you dont have dog poop in your lawn.......guess what---- i dont want it in my lawn as well.........

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

That is quite a bizarre story. I guess that I'd expect someone with a dog that expected to be asked for permission to pet it, (unless it's a labeled service animal) to keep it out of public places, which includes the AT. I've met many dogs on the trail and they usually approach me with their tails wagging wanting attention. I pet them. Some dogs aren't as outwardly friendly so I ask the owners if they are friendly. I pet them if they are friendly. Perhaps you might want to pin a sign to the front of your shirt informing people that they need to ask permission to pet your dog. I suspect that would solve the problem, and I doubt you'll get many requests lol.
    Yeah, I've learned that when I pass someone, either on the trail or around town, I put my dog on the opposite side of me so that they can't approach her without my permission. My dog is trained and socialized to the point of being "bombproof," it's the humans I don't trust.

On a similar note i'm quite comfortable reading a dog's body language and already know from about ten feet away whether or not I am going to let an unfamiliar dog approach me. I find it a rather comical when untrained owners walk their dog up to me, clueless of the fact that I've already sized their dog up. Inevitably the dog is already sniffing my hand when they announce "I'ts okay, he's friendly," I respond by saying " I know, he already told me."
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Likeapuma View Post

I think many dog owners, on trails, just let their dogs do as they please, resulting in the negative opinions you see on here.
    What people need to keep in mind as well is that those irresponsible owners aren't the ones sitting here on WB, sharing training tips and arguing about etiquette. They're the ones who either don't know or don't care that fido os running around out of control and annoying everyone while they're on their big camping adventure.

All of this anti-dog venting really only serves to discourage people who came here to get useful advice about hiking with their dogs. It's a shame because this site is a great resource, but the negativity causes a lot of new members to leave and not come back.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I hike with my dogs on the trail about 5 times a week. I have spent years training my dogs to sit off to the side of the trail while hikers go by. And as they do they just look super cute to all hikers and the vast majority ask if they can pet them. But at times a hiker just walks towards the dogs and starts petting them. I cannot expect my dogs to hold their command when total strangers approach them and touch them. So yes, please ask to pet my dogs. That way I can release them from my command and then you can pet them all you want. Everyone wants well trained dogs on the trail but when people just walk up and start touching them while under a command it just makes the training that much harder. I certainly don't request that you ask to pet my dogs because I don't want you to pet them. I ask because it is essential to ensuring the next time I command my dog off the trail to sit and stay, they will. Dog training is all about trust and order.

BTW, when I back pack with my dogs we would never stay at a shelter. Even with well trained dogs it is asking for trouble.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    On a similar note i'm quite comfortable reading a dog's body language and already know from about ten feet away whether or not I am going to let an unfamiliar dog approach me. I find it a rather comical when untrained owners walk their dog up to me, clueless of the fact that I've already sized their dog up. Inevitably the dog is already sniffing my hand when they announce "I'ts okay, he's friendly," I respond by saying " I know, he already told me."
    One of my favorite lines in that situation is to greet the dog: "Oh, aren't you a ferocious brute! You don't know whether to lick me to death or beat me to death with that tail! But don't get too friendly - my cats can be very jealous!" When dealing with a poorly trained owner, that sort of thing is important. The owner is anxious about how this other human will react. The dog doesn't know what's scaring the owner but can read it, and gets all defensive.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

Some dogs are freaked out by people with hiking poles, or even hats and sunglasses. Even if a dog is well behaved normally, it can do unpredictable things when put into situations its not comfortable in.

I was stopped and talking to a woman on a trail recently, her normally well behaved dog ran up to an approaching hiker, and bit him on his shorts, ripping them. The dog thought he was protecting his "home" and owner. This dog was very well behaved the rest of the time, but it would bark at certain people it didnt like. Any dog on the trail belongs on a leash around other people. For the dog and owners sake, as well as others.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++