WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Sorry for derailing the Shelter Etiquette thread so severely that it has been largely stuck on dogs, everyone.

Shelter etiquette tip:
    Don't treat people at shelters or on the trail how you see them treated on Whiteblaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtra View Post
    Sorry for derailing the Shelter Etiquette thread so severely that it has been largely stuck on dogs, everyone.

Shelter etiquette tip:
    Don't treat people at shelters or on the trail how you see them treated on Whiteblaze.
    I only read a few posts but whiteblaze does not reflect what is really on the trail, I will protect my dog at all costs and have never had a better hiking buddy, Getting ready now for a couple of days with him on the trail, Dogs are great and Mean people suck.

It don't matter, as many have said before what's on whiteblaze doesn't reflect trail reality, so it's a pointless discussion, since apparently the vast majority of hikers don't know what we're talking about, then we just have to go out there and figure out for ourselves

The minority view on here doesn't matter

Mean dogs suck much worse than mean people. Mean dog owners suck even worse.

The minority view is that you have a right to bring your misbehaved self and misbehaved dog on the trail.
    And that somehow the rest of are supposed to put up with the antisocial behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    If you have a service animal people do need to make different accommodations, I think.
    I don't believe that Dogtra claimed his/her dog to be a service dog, but instead a "working dog." Certainly, I'd expect anyone to give a service dog room in a shelter if the owner was given room.

Quote Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
    I don't believe that Dogtra claimed his/her dog to be a service dog, but instead a "working dog." Certainly, I'd expect anyone to give a service dog room in a shelter if the owner was given room.
    You are correct.
    He is not a service dog.

Images

every dog owner thinks their dog is great and they are a good owner. kind of like hikers with musical instruments think they're musicians.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries

Shelter etiquette tip:
    At least you didn't mention guns

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Mean dogs suck much worse than mean people. Mean dog owners suck even worse.
    hahaha. you got that right

Quote Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
    i know folks with real service dogs and would not think of staying in a shelter

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    I only read a few posts but whiteblaze does not reflect what is really on the trail, I will protect my dog at all costs and have never had a better hiking buddy, Getting ready now for a couple of days with him on the trail, Dogs are great and Mean people suck.
    Agree!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well as an aussie that is going to visit with the other fine people and dogs doing the AT next year I have certainly learnt a lot. We only have shelters here in the Alpine region and even those are only supposed to be used in an emergency. Also dogs are banned from all state and national parks so you never see them when you're bush walking.
    "THE FOLLOWING IS A JOKE"
    What I have learnt is that I can expect some swinging parties with booze and drugs at the shelters. Rampant nudity and casual sex YIPPY. We get to lynch all dog owners that come into the shelter, but please don't hurt the dogs! (Must carry my own rope so I'm not seen as a hanger on.) I can eject anyone that hasn't bush walked as far as me that day, unless they are good looking (Ok I just threw that part in). I can fart and snore as much as I like even at the dinner table. I can discretely get changed even if that entails flashing the odd wee willy (Does that include dancing naked on the picnic tables after the first bottle of moonshine?). If I get there first I can sometimes set the rules (Not absolutely clear on the circumstances here.) What about vegemite and scroggen are they allowed in shelters? I wish people would stop mentioning bears, we don't have animal in Australia, except in the water, that can eat you. I can see myself having a fabulous time or getting locked up, maybe a bit of both. I am so looking forward to the AT next year! The cultural and language faux pas will be epic.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Well as an aussie that is going to visit with the other fine people and dogs doing the AT next year I have certainly learnt a lot. We only have shelters here in the Alpine region and even those are only supposed to be used in an emergency. Also dogs are banned from all state and national parks so you never see them when you're bush walking.
    "THE FOLLOWING IS A JOKE"
    What I have learnt is that I can expect some swinging parties with booze and drugs at the shelters. Rampant nudity and casual sex YIPPY. We get to lynch all dog owners that come into the shelter, but please don't hurt the dogs! (Must carry my own rope so I'm not seen as a hanger on.) I can eject anyone that hasn't bush walked as far as me that day, unless they are good looking (Ok I just threw that part in). I can fart and snore as much as I like even at the dinner table. I can discretely get changed even if that entails flashing the odd wee willy (Does that include dancing naked on the picnic tables after the first bottle of moonshine?). If I get there first I can sometimes set the rules (Not absolutely clear on the circumstances here.) What about vegemite and scroggen are they allowed in shelters? I wish people would stop mentioning bears, we don't have animal in Australia, except in the water, that can eat you. I can see myself having a fabulous time or getting locked up, maybe a bit of both. I am so looking forward to the AT next year! The cultural and language faux pas will be epic.

Love your sense of humor and wit! It does seem like there is quite a learning curve outside of gear and how to put one foot in front of the other. Hope I run into you out there and catch the naked table dance
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I am so looking forward to the AT next year! The cultural and language faux pas will be epic
    Ah yes, the USA and Australia, two countries separated by a common language.

You should take a look at Jacko's trail journal if you have not already seen it. If was written by a father and adult son from Perth who hiked most of the A.T. last year and definitely made the most of the trip.
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=398405

Vegemite is hard to find in the US, if you need to have some mailed to you on the trail I should be able to assist.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Over the years, I have stayed in shelters less and less. Most my issues in shelters has been people arriving at the shelter late and waking everyone up, or the people that feel they need to get up before dawn. IMO, dogs are not appropriate in shelters for any number of reasons.

Thanks Elf but I actually hate vegemite, very un-australian of me, but thanks for the offer. I've read Jacko's journal and have exchanged some emails with him. All the journals provide some info, but every walk is different, so I take from them what I can and will do my own thing in the end. The only thing I'm planning is getting to the start by the 13th with food and water after that it depends on what I encounter.

SO!
    no farting, snoreing, talking, sleep walking, cell phones, dirty dogs, wet dogs, bad dogs, dogs that bark, fart, snore, get happy, mad, or sad. no tents or hammocks inside, no nudity, dont argue, no messes, no fires, no drugs, no alchohol, no music, no firearms, bear traps.

however its open season on the mice and rodents that call that place there permenent home!

got it!

just ordered a camo hammock, with a gun rack....ill be fine!

RUNT ''13''

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by runt13 View Post
    SO!
    no farting, snoreing, talking, sleep walking, cell phones, dirty dogs, wet dogs, bad dogs, dogs that bark, fart, snore, get happy, mad, or sad. no tents or hammocks inside, no nudity, dont argue, no messes, no fires, no drugs, no alchohol, no music, no firearms, bear traps.

however its open season on the mice and rodents that call that place there permenent home!

got it!

just ordered a camo hammock, with a gun rack....ill be fine!

RUNT ''13''
    Did you set the silnylon gunrack or the cuban fiber gunrack? The cuban fiber one is lighter but might slightly less durable.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

there can be 12 + in the shelter and another 2 dozen around it and it only takes one inconsiderate person to ruin the night for all. one night it was the guy yelling for everyone to be quiet. i only heard him
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++