WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default hikin school around dahlonega

I kinda remember seeing something a while back about a guy running a school for newbies.. Don't remember if I came across it here on whiteblaze, or maybe found it in a youtube... Can y'all provide any more info on this?

Thanks guys!

Images

Sir-Packs-Alot runs seminars in Hiawassee, GA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqdYK...ature=youtu.be
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

If you pay me $995.99, I'll teach you everything I know about hiking. Class starts at 8AM and ends at 8:10AM.

REI has backpacking clinics. Most of what you learn will be from experience.

Get out short periods then grow miles with experience....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lift my foot up, then put it down, repeat... Now for some instruction on weightlifting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzmoqmL7g

Thanks folks. I'm pretty sure it's that one in Hiawassee that Jeff posted that I was thinking about. I'm smart enough to know there's a lot I don't know, and it's not just "one foot in front of the other"! I've watched a bunch of how-to youtube videos on different things, like making a stove out of a tin can, pitching a tent in the howling wind... Even watched one 60 years ago about Davy Crockett 'grinnin down a bar' on a Tennessee mountaintop! But -- there's nothing like being in a setting where you get some hands on experience!

Your wasting your money if you do these classes, The trail will teach you everything you need to know.

this may sound funny, but the BIGGEST thing on my mind is learning exactly how to hang the food from the tree... And I've seen plenty of youtube "how-tos" on this, but it's not the same as doing it myself with someone watching that can make sure I do it right... Hey, if this saves me from getting eaten by a bear, I'll figure my $300 was well spent! And I've seen posts here from some folks that say they don't even do that -- they just keep the food in the tent with them... (I guess I might do that if I was the kind of guy that slept with one eye open and a 50 cal locked and loaded!..).

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    this may sound funny, but the BIGGEST thing on my mind is learning exactly how to hang the food from the tree... And I've seen plenty of youtube "how-tos" on this, but it's not the same as doing it myself with someone watching that can make sure I do it right... Hey, if this saves me from getting eaten by a bear, I'll figure my $300 was well spent! And I've seen posts here from some folks that say they don't even do that -- they just keep the food in the tent with them... (I guess I might do that if I was the kind of guy that slept with one eye open and a 50 cal locked and loaded!..).
    Do what I did...practice at home. The same with setting up your shelter and tearing it down. Practice this on a rainy day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I lift my foot up, then put it down, repeat... Now for some instruction on weightlifting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzmoqmL7g
    Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    If you pay me $995.99, I'll teach you everything I know about hiking. Class starts at 8AM and ends at 8:10AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Your wasting your money if you do these classes, The trail will teach you everything you need to know.
    Agreed

bear_bag_diagram.gif

That picture will be 300 bucks please, paypal is fine.

for another 300 ill show you how to get water.

And another 300 for packing a pack

we are up to 900, I would go with Daddytwosticks, he was only charging 995.99 for EVERYTHING he knows and we havent even learned cathole digging 101 yet. Besides, he was only going to take 10 minutes early in the morning, im a late sleeper and a slow teacher.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

yeah, well, if Daddytwosticks can teach me everything he knows in 10 minutes --- then, well, what does that tell ya?
    and, I've see pics like the one you did, MM, where they said, "Oh, the bears can figure out to get to the food if you do it that way".
    Seriously, I think the school thing is a good idea. I know I can just learn it all by doin, but I think it'll be more enjoyable to know some things first... For example...."There you are, hiking away, you've made it to the top of a mountain, it starts pouring down rain, you're exhausted, there's trees everywhere, it starts lightning ... what do you do"? Or, when the rain stops, what about all those wet clothes? How about these "5-minute meals" -- have you guys seen those? It comes packed like a frozen dinner, but inside is everything you need -- (NO STOVE!) -- it has some kind of flimsy heating gizmo that you pour water (included in a little pack) on the heating thing, wait 5 minutes and it's ready to eat!
    So, no stove to deal with, no dishes -- no muss no fuss -- BUT.. how 'bout the weight of those?

So, hey, I guess there's more to learn, after all, than just dealin with bears! Plus -- it'll probably be fun.

yeah, well, if Daddytwosticks can teach me everything he knows in 10 minutes --- then, well, what does that tell ya?
    and, I've see pics like the one you did, MM, where they said, "Oh, the bears can figure out to get to the food if you do it that way".
    Seriously, I think the school thing is a good idea. I know I can just learn it all by doin, but I think it'll be more enjoyable to know some things first... For example...."There you are, hiking away, you've made it to the top of a mountain, it starts pouring down rain, you're exhausted, there's trees everywhere, it starts lightning ... what do you do"? Or, when the rain stops, what about all those wet clothes? How about these "5-minute meals" -- have you guys seen those? It comes packed like a frozen dinner, but inside is everything you need -- (NO STOVE!) -- it has some kind of flimsy heating gizmo that you pour water (included in a little pack) on the heating thing, wait 5 minutes and it's ready to eat!
    So, no stove to deal with, no dishes -- no muss no fuss -- BUT.. how 'bout the weight of those?

So, hey, I guess there's more to learn, after all, than just dealin with bears! Plus -- it'll probably be fun.
    TBH I had to look and make sure this wasnt in the humor thread before replying....

JUST THROW THE LIND OVER THE TREE!!!! There isnt a secret to it, just do it, boom. Throw it over pull that $h!t up in the tree and go to sleep! lol... Seriously it isnt rocket science and most people I see on the trail dont even hang a bear bag, just sleep with their food in their tent.

Now if your on a mountain and it starts lightning. GET OFF THE MOUNTAIN!!! lol Anyways, Honestly I dont know of a single person that has taken a class on how to hike or camp. I would much rather prefer to take that 300 bucks and pay for three hiking trips than to give it to somebody to show me how to throw paracord over a tree branch.

hmm... I can tell you are not an easy guy to convince, MM. Well, did ya ever see that movie, Jeremiah Johnson, where this guy went to live in the mountains and had no clue what he was doing? He was about to either starve or freeze to death but then an ole, grizzled mountain man found him and taught him all the basics.
    So, that's me, I want to learn the basics before I get started. Been thinking about this hike for 40 years, and plan to get under way in spring of '16. I'm in California now, but I'll be travellin thru GA later this year. So, been pretty frugal most of my life, workin hard, retired now, and the cost of tuition to me at this stage isn't that big a deal, so hope to do spend a 3 day wkend at that school in the next month or two. You could be right -- it might turn out to be time/$$$ wasted -- but, I think it's going to be fun and at least a little educational.

Images

How about these "5-minute meals" -- have you guys seen those? It comes packed like a frozen dinner, but inside is everything you need -- (NO STOVE!) -- it has some kind of flimsy heating gizmo that you pour water (included in a little pack) on the heating thing, wait 5 minutes and it's ready to eat!

I've seen and used them. They're cool as all getout, and the food's not bad. Not real good, but not terrible. You hit one part: they're darned heavy. AND you end up with a lot of waste packaging to hump back out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    I've seen and used them. They're cool as all getout, and the food's not bad. Not real good, but not terrible. You hit one part: they're darned heavy. AND you end up with a lot of waste packaging to hump back out.
    Agreed. If your going to go with a quick prep meal stick iwth boiling water and waiting 15 minutes for it to cure.

I suggest mountain house or backpackers pantry on the low end of price, backpackers gormet on the highend good stuff. As well if you are thrifty you can make your own.

As well as I am a coffee drinker, the stove kit always goes in the pack

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Agreed. If your going to go with a quick prep meal stick iwth boiling water and waiting 15 minutes for it to cure.

I suggest mountain house or backpackers pantry on the low end of price, backpackers gormet on the highend good stuff. As well if you are thrifty you can make your own.

As well as I am a coffee drinker, the stove kit always goes in the pack
    If u like dehydrated meals check out Hawk Vittles.....way better than any others.....IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmm... I can tell you are not an easy guy to convince, MM. Well, did ya ever see that movie, Jeremiah Johnson, where this guy went to live in the mountains and had no clue what he was doing? He was about to either starve or freeze to death but then an ole, grizzled mountain man found him and taught him all the basics.
    So, that's me, I want to learn the basics before I get started. Been thinking about this hike for 40 years, and plan to get under way in spring of '16. I'm in California now, but I'll be travellin thru GA later this year. So, been pretty frugal most of my life, workin hard, retired now, and the cost of tuition to me at this stage isn't that big a deal, so hope to do spend a 3 day wkend at that school in the next month or two. You could be right -- it might turn out to be time/$$$ wasted -- but, I think it's going to be fun and at least a little educational.
    Jefals,
    You never said whether or not you have any equipment. Are you waiting to learn before you buy, or are you already geared up waiting for someone to show you how to use it?

If you already have some equipment then start out with just an overnight, and just give it a try. Go to a local park with camping facilities and camp with you gear. If it rains you'll be confident enough you can bail out easily. If you have to bail it's no big deal. Adjust your gear and try again. Once you feel ok with single overnighters, then go for a three day trip.

You just have to go out and do it, that's what the folks in this thread are trying to tell you.

No, I don't have gear yet, and thanks for asking, because that's another big issue. There's obviously tons of advice out here in whiteblaze about gear -- but there's just too much! -- It's overwhelming! I've been doing a little hiking out here and I do have a pack -- but not one suitable for something like an AT hike. Since I started this post, I already signed up for packs-a-lot's 3 day class, and looking forward to it. I'm sure I'll get good guidance there regarding gear. In fact, it kinda looks like he's into selling gear.

Yeah, I know you can just go and do it, and learn that way, but sometimes learning by experience is less than ideal. I had made mention earlier of that move, Jeremiah Johnson, and I remember one scene where he was out in the snow, shivering, trying to get a fire going, he tried and tried and finally, after hours of hard work, he got a little flame going -- and looks like he just about had it -- only to have some snow from a branch over head dump on the small blaze and put it out! Yeah, he learned from experience, but I bet he wished he had learned to look out for that beforehand!

I'm also reminded of a Will Rogers quote -- I'm sure this isn't the exact quote, but it went something like this..."Some people learn by reading, some people learn by doing, and some people just have to pee on the electric fence" I don't wanna be that third guy!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++