WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default NPS Implements Interim Policy Prohibiting Unmanned Aircraft on Appalachian ... - High

NPS Implements Interim Policy Prohibiting Unmanned Aircraft on Appalachian ...
    High Country Press
    The National Park Service has developed an interim policy prohibiting the use of unmanned aircraft on NPS managed lands of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail. This is a new park use that could affect park resources, staff, and visitors in ways that ...

and more »

More...

Default Drones, model airplanes banned from Appalachian Trail - WDBJ7

Drones, model airplanes banned from Appalachian Trail
    WDBJ7
    The National Park Service now has an interim policy that forbids unmanned aircrafts on the Appalachian Trail. "Unmanned aircraft" also refers to model airplanes, quadcopters and similar devices that are used for any purpose. No one will be able to ...
    Drones Banned From Appalachian TrailThe Chattanoogan

all 1 news articles »

More...

So much for getting pizza and beer delivery directly to shelters via drone.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Damn!! What an idea, purpose high elevation fly overs with parachute supplies, or subway tunneling!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    So much for getting pizza and beer delivery directly to shelters via drone.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I'm not covered by this ban

I need a drone for emotional support while on the AT.

I sent off my PayPal funds today to get a certificate from the "DroneSupportSchoolTakeMyMoney.com"
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Hmmm, what about tethered aircraft? Kites as an example. Also including model non-R/C planes. Once had a hiking partner who was pretty flighty. She would be banned?
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Images

Old Hillwalker, have been writing you, but emails have been bouncing back with "permanent failure" error messages. Thought you'd want to know. Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

The term “unmanned aircraft” means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the device, and the associated operational elements and components that are required for the pilot or system operator in command to operate or control the device (such as cameras, sensors, communication links). This term includes all types of devices that meet this definition (e.g., model airplanes, quadcopters, drones) that are used for any purpose, including for recreation or commerce.”
    Hmm. It appears that a baseball would meet the description. Not sure about the weight on a bearbag line. I think they left out something about the device being powered.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I had no idea this was a problem on the AT. Thank goodness we now have a policy that forbids it.

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    I had no idea this was a problem on the AT. Thank goodness we now have a policy that forbids it.
    Wow, just noticed that was post 1000 for me. Wish it had been more meaningful than a snide remark directed to the park service.

For once, the Park Service is trying to get ahead of an issue, instead of playing catch up. You may have seen reports where hikers have been approached by unmanned aircraft (Yosemite, Moosilauke, to name two recent ones). This is not appropriate activity for the Trail, where it is desirable to experience the environment in as natural state as possible--given the number of visitors it supports.

Unfortunately, there are people who think anything is permitted if it's not specifically prohibited (motorized travel on the AT for example). UAV's are dropping in price, and becoming easier to operate with little experience. Did you know that some hobby drones can be programmed to go to a specific GPS location, and it will autonomously go there and hover until it's fuel runs out? It's just a matter of time before they are a common plaything.

There are definitely really great uses for UAVs--maybe someday the FAA will actually create some rules that will make operation safe, useful, and pass the inevitable legal challenges. In the meantime, let's be glad that on the AT at least we won't be surveilled by the local Sheriff (w/o NPS permission, at any rate), or annoyed by the noise of them buzzing down the Trail.

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post

The ban would affect the 700 to 800 miles of the trail's 2,184 miles that run through national park land.said Ron Tipton, executive director and CEO of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.
    http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/6...#axzz3AzMlKkKQ

The conservancy generally supported the temporary ban, but it could see allowing drones' use for wildlife studies or aerial photography, Tipton said.
    If the ATC can find a way to sell one more product, or launch one more fund raising campaign I'm sure they will find a way to fit it in around the ban.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Images

Saw one when i hiked the carvers gap to 19-e. Heard it first and thought it was bees on the rhodos lol. Was pretty neat looking and seemed a good way to film . Not really sure i would like to see one way out on a hike this was about a mile in.

The key word in the article's title is, Interim.

And if you read the article it confirms this is NOT an all-out ban policy; they're just trying to figure out how to deal with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Roanmtnman View Post
    Saw one when i hiked the carvers gap to 19-e. Heard it first and thought it was bees on the rhodos lol. Was pretty neat looking and seemed a good way to film . Not really sure i would like to see one way out on a hike this was about a mile in.
    Those are not too far off http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...science-robot/

I think they are kinda neato, as long as one doesnt take a chunk out of the back of my head, I think Im cool with them. The trail is for everyone, not everything, but I dont see it having an impact on the trail as riding atv's on it do
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Of course the local Sheriff could always check on those "dope smoking hippie hikers" by running a drone past the shelters in his jurisdiction--and send a photo back to your mom. On the other hand, it could be a great tool for maintaining clubs to check on trail conditions, boundary lines and hiker traffic. In either case, its a thing I'd rather not see or hear while I'm on the Trail. We need to hang onto what's left of the "primitive experience" available to AT hikers--slowly being whittled away bit by bit.

Cosmo

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

For what it's worth, I don't want the Trail to turn into an hell of annoying buzzing quadcopters either. The horseflies are bad enough. I was just pointing out that the regulation was drafted very clumsily.

New York already has a ban on all motorized devices in wilderness areas (note that the A-T does not traverse any wilderness areas in NY) - which has already been interpreted to encompass launching, operating and retrieving of drones on state land. The states don't regulate airspace, so they can't actually ban the flight, but current recreational drones are unlikely to make serious incursions on wilderness without needing to be launched, operated or retrieved from the ground on state land.

The ban on powered devices can be inconvenient at times. The last time I worked trail crew, we had the unusual happy situation of working across a private easement. We could take blowdown out with a chainsaw! Ordinarily, removing a few hundred tree trunks with a cross-cut saw takes less time and effort than petitioning DEC for a waiver to let a trail crew bring in a chainsaw for a weekend, so the trail conference gets waivers only for the largest construction projects, involving shifting hundreds of tons of rock, delivering construction materials by helicopter, and the like. Everything else is hand tools only. It does cut down on the noise, but it also cuts down on the maintenance.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

I think it's just a chickens*** rule. I don't see anything so disturbing about an almost silent drone being used on Max Patch, Jane bald or any other place outside a populated area for recreational purposes. The powers that be can't even enforce the no ATV or horses ban so this one will probably work out the same.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    For once, the Park Service is trying to get ahead of an issue, instead of playing catch up. You may have seen reports where hikers have been approached by unmanned aircraft (Yosemite, Moosilauke, to name two recent ones). This is not appropriate activity for the Trail, where it is desirable to experience the environment in as natural state as possible--given the number of visitors it supports.
    Agreed. I'm glad they're getting ahead of this.

Apparently this incident was the straw the broke the camels back as they say, for the Park Service.

Wed Aug 6, 2014 (Reuters) - A tourist seeking to take pictures of Yellowstone National Park crashed a camera-equipped drone into its largest hot spring, possibly damaging the prized geothermal feature, a park official said on Wednesday.
    The incident follows the crash earlier this summer of a drone into a marina at Yellowstone Lake and a string of radio-controlled aircraft violations at Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.
    The National Park Service in June announced a ban on so-called unmanned aerial vehicles, but officials say premier national parks in the U.S. West are reporting a sharp rise in the number of drones buzzing bison and boaters.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0G62I620140806

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++