WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Labor Day sale at REI

Not a lot of deals but a couple good ones are:

Copper Spur 2 for $299

Darn tough socks 25% off
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

too bad its not fly creek..

I haven't stepped into an REI in more than a year and haven't spent one dollar with them in at least that long. I used to make it a point to stop in at an REI wherever I was traveling regularly spending $2000 or more per yr patronizing them I, as well as a few others I've spoken too, don't shop at REI as much as we once did since the instituting of REI's new harder line return policy. REI once had a very amenable return policy that, despite their claim that the new return policy was needed to prevent fraud, etc, could have been amended in other ways to protect themselves without being so aggressive.

Darn tough socks 25% off
    That is a better deal than the tents.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I haven't stepped into an REI in more than a year and haven't spent one dollar with them in at least that long. I used to make it a point to stop in at an REI wherever I was traveling regularly spending $2000 or more per yr patronizing them I, as well as a few others I've spoken too, don't shop at REI as much as we once did since the instituting of REI's new harder line return policy. REI once had a very amenable return policy that, despite their claim that the new return policy was needed to prevent fraud, etc, could have been amended in other ways to protect themselves without being so aggressive.
    Wow...I just thought someone might want a good deal in some socks

LL Bean now has the best policy. Granted, their inventory may not be right for everyone, but if you do not like something send it back. Even after an extensive trial period. The Cresta Hiking Shorts are top notch. I live in them.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I'm not sure what the old policy was, but early this month I returned a tent to REI that I had for just over 1 year. The sales attendant gave me full credit back to my credit card and said that its 100% satisfaction for 1 year. I was just over a few days so she went ahead and did the return.

I"m not sure why someone would need more than a year to decide if something works for them or not.
    --

Hike Safe.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sympathetic joy View Post
    I"m not sure why someone would need more than a year to decide if something works for them or not.
    Yep. The mind absolutely boggles that anyone would think REI doesn't still have an excellent return policy. The only reason they started limiting to "1 year" (and they are flexible on that) was to stop abuse, like people returning items that were completely worn out after years of use, expecting a full refund. Again, the mind boggles.

which darn tough socks do you suggest, I generally wear just over the ankle socks, I plan on getting a pair of compression sleeves for what that is worth.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    which darn tough socks do you suggest, I generally wear just over the ankle socks, I plan on getting a pair of compression sleeves for what that is worth.
    It's a personal preference I guess but I like the ankle high version the best.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I have one pair of light cushion hikers and one pair of medium cushion hikers that I rotate when hiking. Both are micro crew length. The medium cushion ones come in a special ATC edition. I don't think REI has these, but they do have the light hiker. I get them from SocksAddict. They are on sale for about the same price as REI, plus free shipping.

http://www.socksaddict.com/3880-Darn...l-Edition.aspx

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I have one pair of light cushion hikers and one pair of medium cushion hikers that I rotate when hiking. Both are micro crew length. The medium cushion ones come in a special ATC edition. I don't think REI has these, but they do have the light hiker. I get them from SocksAddict. They are on sale for about the same price as REI, plus free shipping.

http://www.socksaddict.com/3880-Darn...l-Edition.aspx
    Hey, those are mine, too !! I really like them. Just be careful: I've had 3 (three!!) singles disappear in the dryer. I now have 3 (three) unmatched singles. Sheesh. I thought the underpants gnomes just took underpants.

I also liked the LLBean Cresta socks, but they don't make them with the bug repellent added anymore.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    Wow...I just thought someone might want a good deal in some socks
    I love REI. I have never abused their return policy, and wish others had not so it might hav been able to be maintained... But I do not fault them for changing it.

I like their branded gear, and my only complaint is that they don't have more outlets in the he south....

Thankfully, I am in north California right now and I will make a trip down today to get ready for an upcoming trip. Thanks for posting.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Hey, those are mine, too !! I really like them. Just be careful: I've had 3 (three!!) singles disappear in the dryer. I now have 3 (three) unmatched singles. Sheesh. I thought the underpants gnomes just took underpants.

I also liked the LLBean Cresta socks, but they don't make them with the bug repellent added anymore.
    Also, Darn Tough Socks come with a lifetime guarantee from Darn Tough. It doesn't matter where you buy them. If they wear out, they replace them. Unfortunately they don't guarantee against old hikers losing socks :-(

But OH, just wear two socks of different colors. If anyone laughs at you just tell them "HA! I have another pair just like this one at home!"

$299 for the CS2 is the lowest price I've seen for a new one from any retailer. I think they only offer that price 1x year.

Journal Entries

Thank you I may have just bought a lifetime supply of Darn Tough socks.

Quote Originally Posted by sympathetic joy View Post
    I'm not sure what the old policy was, but early this month I returned a tent to REI that I had for just over 1 year. The sales attendant gave me full credit back to my credit card and said that its 100% satisfaction for 1 year. I was just over a few days so she went ahead and did the return.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yep. The mind absolutely boggles that anyone would think REI doesn't still have an excellent return policy. The only reason they started limiting to "1 year" (and they are flexible on that) was to stop abuse, like people returning items that were completely worn out after years of use, expecting a full refund. Again, the mind boggles.
    This situation was not what I was referring to. I'm not into nor ever entertained abusing REI's older return policy. I even publically spoke out against it when I felt others were doing so. Like when I've heard of some returning obviously well used non warranty issue gear, like shoes, in order to obtain free replacements. YES, that's return abuse. I'm referring to two REI branded shirts I recieved as gifts that the non REI Member buyer lost the receipt for and which was paid for in cash. They were unused with the tags and REI's tracking #'s still attached. I explained to customer service at what REI they were recently bought and the exact date they were purchased which was only two weeks previous. I attempted to exchange them for a larger size of the same yr, model, design, color etc but just a size larger. That's all I wanted. REI refused to do that. That DEFINTELY IS NOT the same REI return policy of old!

Sorry, Hikernutcasey. Didn't intend to drift. I did have to clarify though.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

That DEFINTELY IS NOT the same REI return policy of old!
    Based on the anecdotal stories I've heard, how heavy-handed the return policy is interpreted is dependent on which employee helps you and what mood they might happen to be in.

Images

I'm referring to two REI branded shirts I recieved as gifts that the non REI Member buyer lost the receipt for and which was paid for in cash. They were unused with the tags and REI's tracking #'s still attached. I explained to customer service at what REI they were recently bought and the exact date they were purchased which was only two weeks previous. I attempted to exchange them for a larger size of the same yr, model, design, color etc but just a size larger. That's all I wanted. REI refused to do that. That DEFINTELY IS NOT the same REI return policy of old!
    This sounds like an extreme, outlying case, and probably has nothing whatsoever to do with their return policy, just a grumpy employee or whatever. Never, ever heard a story like this at any REI, this is a first. Unacceptable, of course, but one of a kind I bet.

YEah, sorry for the drift!

I'm not into bitching about stuff like this. That's not my style. However, I do think the way I was treated in this incidence was uncalled for. I spoke to the REI Customer Service Manager at this store in Atlanta. She too took a very hardline no exceptions approach. I was promptly told this was REI's new return policy at any store. I didn't believe them. As you say Colorado Rob, I too thought it may be that particular REI store or perhaps me encountering a couple of REI employees in a bad mood so I went to a different Georgia REI and received the same hardline this is the new return policy talk. I wound up with two REI shirts too small that didn't fit and there was nothing I could do.

Again, I apologize Casey. Didn't intend to move so far from your original post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++