WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Saw this in a local paper- Bear

Not hoping to scare anyone but I figured this could be a good discussion. http://m.winchesterstar.com/article/bear

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Not hoping to scare anyone but I figured this could be a good discussion. http://m.winchesterstar.com/article/bear
    The man's story did not ring true to me. Popular perception notwithstanding, black bears do not aggressively protect their cubs-- usually.I was inspired to google an update;http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...bigger-animal/

Images

Black bear attacking because she thought her cubs were in danger, all I have to say ➔ this dude needs to play the Lottery and give thanks to his Saviour... no doubt the dog is a hero
    Glad to see no fatalities....
    Ironically enough, God's last name isn't Damn....

Images

I've seen lots of black bears the last few weeks just off the Tunxis trail here in CT. Just yesterday I saw a baby bear and the day before a very large maybe 400lbs bear.

Gotta love them dogs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    The man's story did not ring true to me. Popular perception notwithstanding, black bears do not aggressively protect their cubs-- usually.I was inspired to google an update;http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...bigger-animal/

Just plain stupid people... he should not be allowed to breed

Images

the dog or the human? :P

Very unusual. The more usual circumstance is it's eventually revealed the man and/or dog engaged the animal in a manner that caused it to react. I wonder which it will be.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TrippLite View Post
    Just plain stupid people... he should not be allowed to breed
    Edit..... I read that wrong, I thought the article read that the man initiated the confrontation by throwing and hitting the bear with a rock, it was his dog that initiated the confrontation by chasing the cubs .. it's okay to breed dude
    Been a long, hot day here in Ga... thats my excuse.. ha

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Very unusual. The more usual circumstance is it's eventually revealed the man and/or dog engaged the animal in a manner that caused it to react. I wonder which it will be.
    Update: The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries told TheBlaze in an emailed statement that if the dog had been leashed in the first place, it might never have needed to defend its owner.

“After disturbing a family of bears, the dog chased after and began attacking the cubs,” the statement read. “As a result the sow charged at the man and focused her defense of cubs on him. When the dog began to attack the sow it gave the man a chance to find a rock and hit the bear in order to scare her off. While this situation is tragic, there would have likely been a far different outcome were the dog not involved.”

The department said the man and dog suffered severe injuries in the attack. It noted that while attacks like this are rare, owners are advised to keep dogs leashed in areas where bear might be found as an added precaution.

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation Unfortunately

A dog owner kept his dog unleashed, and almost died as a result.

The dog did what dogs DO: attacked what it perceived as a threat.
    At which point the mother bear did what mother bears do: defended herself and her cubs.
    At which point the dog did what dogs do when faced with a superior foe: run back to its master.
    At which point the bear did what bears do: followed the dog back to the human master.
    At which point the dog owner did what many humans do when they face off against an angry bear: nearly got killed.

This dog was no hero; it was simply a dog.
    The human, of course, was an arrogant dog owner who figured -- like the vast majority of dog owners I've met on the A.T. -- that rules don't apply to them, and they don't need to use a leash.

Important note to dog owners: there's a REASON that the law REQUIRES (not suggests!) that you keep your dog on a leash AT ALL TIMES while on [{EDITED, my mistake} many miles of] The Trail.
    It doesn't matter how friendly or kind your dog is, canines instinctively attack bears.

You generally can NOT recall your dog with just your voice in these situations, all you can do is hope it's only your dog that gets mauled, and not you.
    If the dog survives the initial fight and runs back to you, then this hope is pretty much gone -- YOU are going to get attacked.

Then only one way out of this:
    KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEASH!!
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 08-22-2014 at 22:29. Reason: I realized I had over-stated my case

Quote Originally Posted by TrippLite View Post
    Black bear attacking because she thought her cubs were in danger, all I have to say ➔ this dude needs to play the Lottery and give thanks to his Saviour... no doubt the dog is a hero
    Glad to see no fatalities....
    I'm glad I viewed your gallery and read some of your other posts before responding. Sounds like you are playing avvocato del diavolo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    A dog owner kept his dog unleashed, and almost died as a result.

The dog did what dogs DO: attacked what it perceived as a threat.
    At which point the mother bear did what mother bears do: defended herself and her cubs.
    At which point the dog did what dogs do when faced with a superior foe: run back to its master.
    At which point the bear did what bears do: followed the dog back to the human master.
    At which point the dog owner did what many humans do when they face off against an angry bear: nearly got killed.

This dog was no hero; it was simply a dog.
    The human, of course, was an arrogant dog owner who figured -- like the vast majority of dog owners I've met on the A.T. -- that rules don't apply to them, and they don't need to use a leash.

Important note to dog owners: there's a REASON that the law REQUIRES (not suggests!) that you keep your dog on a leash AT ALL TIMES while on The Trail.
    It doesn't matter how friendly or kind your dog is, canines instinctively attack bears.

You generally can NOT recall your dog with just your voice in these situations, all you can do is hope it's only your dog that gets mauled, and not you.
    If the dog survives the initial fight and runs back to you, then this hope is pretty much gone -- YOU are going to get attacked.

Then only one way out of this:
    KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEASH!!
    Not true - My dog and I see bear all the time, Only chases the ones that come into our camp area - Lots of dog bashing on this site, Do some research and see most black bear attacks have nothing to do with dogs at all.

We had a black bear swimming towards us last month when I had my granddaughter with me at a remote lake - He got pretty close until I let my dog jump in and turn the bear around.

Journal Entries
    Images

Question Which part is not true?

> Not true - My dog and I see bear all the time, Only chases the ones that come into our camp area
    > got pretty close until I let my dog jump in and turn the bear around.

In other words, like I said, dogs instinctively attack bears.
    Which is NOT to say they ALWAYS do so. It's just that, once a dog starts acting like your dog and attacks a bear, you can't simply tell it to hold back.
    Sometimes that's not a problem -- your experience -- and sometimes the dog owner ends up in critical condition when the bear fights back.

The way to have all the positives of dogs being dogs (chasing bears away), but none of the negatives (almost getting killed) is simple: keep your dog on a leash at all times.
    Which is all I said.
    The law generally states that the leash must be no longer than six feet, but I'll accept that a 30 foot leash has its uses.

I stand by my statement that the large majority of dog owners on the A.T. ignore the law on this issue.

> Do some research and see most black bear attacks have nothing to do with dogs at all.

I never said anything REMOTELY like "the main reason for black bear attacks is dogs." Not sure where you got that idea.

Journal Entries
    Images

I stand by my statement that the large majority of dog owners on the A.T. ignore the law on this issue.
    You realize of course that there are a great many miles on the AT where a leash is definitely not required by law or regulation, right?

Quote Originally Posted by NY Hour View Post
    I'm glad I viewed your gallery and read some of your other posts before responding. Sounds like you are playing avvocato del diavolo
    Sounds like you are playing first and second fiddle from the same chair.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Wonder why our friend Dogtra has not commented?

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation I realize that, of course

And I stand by my statement.

Dogs on leashes on the A.T. are so rare, even when required by law, that I am genuinely shocked when I see them.

Journal Entries
    Images

And I stand by my statement.

Dogs on leashes on the A.T. are so rare, even when required by law, that I am genuinely shocked when I see them.
    Not dissagreeing with you. It just good not to assume that the weekender you pass with his pet is breaking breaking the law if you are unfamiliar with the area. It's hard to know which lands are administered by the NPS when you are thru hiking, but easier when you are a local. Assuming everyone one is a scofflaw can add to ones stress.

You realize of course that there are a great many miles on the AT where a leash is definitely not required by law or regulation, right?
    Just because you have the right to do something, doesn't make it the right thing to do. I won't deny that a well trained dog can be off a leash and not be a problem. We also know there are plenty of owners who THINK their dog is well trained, but isn't. But if not well trained, it should be on a leash, whether required or not. In ALL CASES, the dog should always be under the control of the owner (either by leash or training).

Hey look, another thread that's turned into dog-bashing! It's like a rotating door of complainers on here!

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Just because you have the right to do something, doesn't make it the right thing to do.
    So a well trained dog has to stay on leash because YOU think it's the right thing? You sound like a politician! Haha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++