WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone know who "pond" is ?

Anyone know Pond?
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is Pond.
    https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=12329612&fref=pb Adam Jones, he has been tagging everything. Shelters, signs, ski resort warming huts, even rocks. He needs to be stopped. He is in northern NH or southern ME.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Why every year does some A.. hole have to do this crap along the trail? I guess my assumption of people who hike appreciate and respect the wilderness is way wrong...Leave no trace!!! I don't get it....what happened to the guy a few years ago by the trail name of Rifle who did this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I doubt you, but how do you know who he is?
    And agreed whomever doing this is an @sshole.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

We tracked him down on the Internet, Facebook, Instagram, etc. We then confronted him online. He knew that we had him dead to rights so he and his hiking cronies are now spamming the hell out of our accounts, admitting that it is him and that there is nothing we can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by grimtongue View Post
    We tracked him down on the Internet, Facebook, Instagram, etc. We then confronted him online. He knew that we had him dead to rights so he and his hiking cronies are now spamming the hell out of our accounts, admitting that it is him and that there is nothing we can do about it.
    Also we are currently thru-hiking and he is about 7 days in front of us.

Why do dogs pee on every tree... we'll never know nor understand.

...funny how these type things have a way of working themselves out, often with thee offending party carrying a bucket and a soupy rag while wearing an ankle bracelet.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Has anyone contacted Laurie P at the ATC?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

We saw his handiwork a few weeks ago on a rock a mile or two north of Spivey's Gap. Agreed ... what an @sshole.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Quote Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
    Why do dogs pee on every tree... we'll never know nor understand.
    Maybe give him new trail name AKA "dog pisser". He leaves his sign where ever he goes.

Images

Screen grabs of admissions along with photos of handy work sent to the ATC, the NPS and local authorities can have an impressive impact.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

GA-ME 2011
    Images

And where would one find those admissions and photos?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Has anyone been able to follow up on this? To believe nothing can touch him is rather foolish, many people are taken down because of admissions and photo proof shown over the internet. Has anyone contacted the authorities?

The reality is that vandalism cases like this are only a misdemeanor and virtually impossible to prove. Even if you could prove who did it, the guy will be far out of the jurisdiction of the authorities where it occurred. Few jurisdictions will extradite someone more than 50 miles for such a petty crime, even if they knew who he was and where he was. This kind of stuff is not high priority to most in law enforcement and they aren't going to spend monumental amounts of time and effort to track this guy down for writing his name on a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by 78owl View Post
    Maybe give him new trail name AKA "dog pisser". He leaves his sign where ever he goes.
    puddles

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    The reality is that vandalism cases like this are only a misdemeanor and virtually impossible to prove. Even if you could prove who did it, the guy will be far out of the jurisdiction of the authorities where it occurred. Few jurisdictions will extradite someone more than 50 miles for such a petty crime, even if they knew who he was and where he was. This kind of stuff is not high priority to most in law enforcement and they aren't going to spend monumental amounts of time and effort to track this guy down for writing his name on a sign.
    Even though the damage is spread along the AT? While I'm sure what you say is true, it still angers me greatly. There is basically nothing preventing others from doing the same in the future. How pathetic is that...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    In the event that some of the vandalism occured on federal lands, which seems likely, then there is a much greater chance that action will be taken.

I would be interested to know if someone really does have a facebook or email message where he admitted to the vandalism and also to know if the ATC or authorities have been contacted directly.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

the sad thing is it is not just one person. he can't be doing it in a vacuum and others probably know what he is doing and some have watched.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Default Please report incidents at www.appalachiantrail.org/incidents

If you have information to share, please fill out an A.T. incident report form with as much detail as possible, available at www.appalachiantrail.org/incidents and email it with photos you may have, to [email protected]. This will reach the NPS A.T. Chief Ranger as well as pertinent ATC staff members. Graffiti is taken seriously by the chief ranger and he will do whatever he can, but he has to have something to work with. Local police will not likely be interested. In national parks or forests and on some state lands, the law enforcement officers will be, but a long-distance hiker is usually not in their area long enough to be caught. However, the A.T. Chief Ranger has direct jurisdiction over significant portions of the A.T. in many states, including most of Maine.

Laurie P.
    ATC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++