WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Stecoah Gap to Winding Stair Gap

Anyone have any pertinent info on the section from Stecoah Gap to Winding Stair Gap? Headed there in a month and just checking to see if there is anything out of the ordianary to be prepared for. Specifically curious about parking at each location - each has parking but curious about security.

Stecoah could be iffy, I would park in Franklin, NC and get shuttled to stecoah
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I did this section in a couple of out and back trips this summer without any issues. I parked at Rabun Gap, Wayah Bald, and the NOC. If you park at the NOC and go to Stecoah Gap and then double back north a day or two later depending on your speed, you could enjoy a nice meal or shower at the NOC. The only issue I had was a change of camping plans when I got to Cheoah Bald and the bottom felt out. I backtracked to Sassafrass Shelter and got to stay on the bald the next evening on the return trip.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

You could also park for free at The Hike Inn, just outside Fontana, if you stay a night at the front and/or back of your hike. Alternatively, park at Fontana Dam and have them shuttle you to Stecoah Gap.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

I doubt Stecoah Gap is very safe. It's a very exposed spot to park on the road there. I would park at the NOC and get a shuttle. HMU if you need a lift and maybe I can help. I just moved here to Sylva and picked up a friend of mine who hiked from Clingmans Dome to the NOC a couple of weeks ago. Should be real nice weather in a few weeks! Been extremely hot here this past week.

++ New Posts ++