WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: AT First timer

Default AT First timer

What's up guys (and gals), First off let me apologize if this is in the wrong area lol

I am planning a thru hike for 2016, but I was wondering if any of you seasoned trailblazers could give me tips on gear, packs, sleep systems, costs of the trip, ect. I've done some hiking so I've got a pack, but I think it may be a little on the large side for a 2000 mile hike, it's a 4000 Cubic inch. I also have a hammock, but no UQ for it, not sure if that's necessary for the AT or not?

Basically, any info you guys are willing to throw my way would be greatly appreciated! !! Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Whiteblaze, future thru-hiker.

This is not the greatest sub-forum for your needs, I think.
    Search through the site a little for more coverage of what you're asking.
    Gear Forums:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/foru...59-Gear-Forums

Cost of Thru-hiking:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...of-a-Thru-hike

There is so much information to be found. Just take your time and enjoy.

WELCOME TO WHITE BLAZE! TNfire
    from what i have learned over the years, is that most first time thru hikers are also brand new to the hiking/backpacking world.
    so don't apologize for anything, and i hope you have fun on your thruhike :-)

Thanks guys, I'm pretty stoked to start planning finances and what not for this, I also need to find someone to go with me, hiking alone is never fun haha so anyone heading north from Georgia early on in 2016 let me know!

From another newbie !
    Refrain from buying gear as long as you can.
    Sounds like you can do day and weekend hikes with what you've got now.
    Read a lot, ask questions, educate your self before you buy stuff.
    I bought some pieces I wish I would have bought lighter/ better of. Wasted $$ , pretty much !
    Enjoy your hiking now, You do not to have your gear 1 1/2 years before a thru.

I've got a pack, a hammock+tarp, stove and cookware, just trying to get some ideas of what other people have used, recommendations as well as stuff to avoid buying. My pack is a teton sports explorer 4000 and it's got some miles on it to say the least lol I'm not sure it will make it 2000 miles, not by 2016 anyway, which is why I asked about a pack :P I definitely do my research when it comes to gear though...I am cheap so I'd rather buy what works the first time around

Images

It sounds like you have a fair amount of experience hiking, anyway, so that's good.

The thing about long distance hiking, especially on the AT, is that the gear tends to be very specialized. That means the most useful gear usually isn't available at the local hiking outfitter, and definitely not at the hunting and fishing outfitter. Since you're in Chattanooga, you're very close to the North Georgia mountains and one of the best outfitters on the trail at Neels Gap. They have the specialized gear, and the experienced staff to help you pick the right gear first.

So if I had to do it all over again, I would go for a hike in Georgia and stop at Neels Gap with all my hiking gear. This is best done after several days on the trail in cold weather . They'll go through your gear and make suggestions, and you can play with the lightweight packs and all the other fun things they have in the store. No need to buy anything just yet, but it'll give you some good ideas as to what AT long distance hikers are carrying. Go home and do more research, then next fall you can go back to Neels Gap and get exactly what you need for the thru-hike.

The other option is to just start your thru with the gear you have, and replace it as you decide what you really want. There are good outfitters further along the trail, too.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Welcome! You have found a great site and people with tons of experience! I have learned so much about the ways of the trail here and can say confidently, we got some good people One tip I would give would be instead of creating new threads on subjects, search for threads on the same topic, then narrow down your questions to what you cant find or relate to.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Welcome TNfire ,
    The best advice is begin reading as much about gear as possible. Take your time and process all the choices out there , making sure to ask questions. If you have a pack and shelter that you are happy with then you're making progress.

Backpacking technology is constantly improving with ultralight gear growing in popularity.
    Is this for everyone ? Most certainly not. You will decide what"s best for you, because we all have our own hike to hike.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

https://hammockforums.net/forum/content.php for ALL AND THEN SOME of your hammock questions, for sure.

I had to get rid of my hammock after the first week or so - too hard to rollout in wind and rain and stay dry.

Check out the home page of WhiteBlaze - read the articles. LOTS of good data there.

Welcome ! See you in 2016 - I try again then.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Thanks for all the links and info guys, glad I found this site, just looking through all the threads gets me even more excited about this journey!

Old Hiker, when are you starting your trek? NOBO or SOBO?

just curious, is your username inspired by My Morning Jacket? One of my favorite albums if so.

Oh, and

Lol not quite , I'm a firefighter, good band though haha

++ New Posts ++