WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Thru Hiking Guide everything you need to know + send me your trail blogs!

Hey guys when I started my thru hike on the Appalachian trail there was so much conflicting information out there that I ended up doing just about everything wrong before my hike, like buying all the wrong gear which I had to rebuy stuff spending way to much money.

So I decided to make a website with all the needed information to hike the Trail.

Check it out here: http://www.theslowmovers.com
    image.jpg
    If you guys have any guides or information you would like to add to the website just send it to me and I will put it up. For example if you have a gear layout similar to mine I will put it under the gear link.

Also if you guys have any trail blogs I will put your trail blog on the right hand side of the website.

Feel free to ask questions to add to the FAQ especially if you know some good Questions that new thru hikers like to ask.

****I will also add PCT/CDT guides up on the website and link back to any site you want for whoever wrote them if you want to get it up on the site, just message me through the contact form. Or ask me something in this thread.

Thanks.

Images

the reason there is " so much conflicting information out there " is because there are so many different hiking styles. what is SO wrong about making mistakes and finding your own way.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

all the AT info one needs is right here at WB

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    all the AT info one needs is right here at WB
    +1 Lone Wolf you know everyone thinks they can build a better mouse trap.
    Blackheart

Gear that works wonderfully for one person may not for another, which is why there are a lot of choices in gear. Though suggestions based on the opinions and experiences of one person may work, the only real test is how it works for you. But as Kayak Karl points out, what is wrong with making mistakes that leads you to success? Thats part of the joy of the journey in a manner of speaking.

+1 to what KK and AT Traveler said.

You might look at your hiking as an evolutionary dynamic process where you're constantly, hopefully, increasing your knowledge. What you did buying gear before your hike wasn't necessarily wrong; perhaps, it's more accurate to say it was exactly right based on the understanding you had at that time. It's a fallacy to believe anyone will ever know all there is to know about hiking much less anything else. But, that's OK. We hike on. We find our own way.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    +1 to what KK and AT Traveler said.

You might look at your hiking as an evolutionary dynamic process where you're constantly, hopefully, increasing your knowledge. What you did buying gear before your hike wasn't necessarily wrong; perhaps, it's more accurate to say it was exactly right based on the understanding you had at that time. It's a fallacy to believe anyone will ever know all there is to know about hiking much less anything else. But, that's OK. We hike on. We find our own way.
    My wife tells me I have enough gear to take me and 4 people I don't like hiking.

All the information and resources you need (including scores of experienced hikers) are right here. Dozens of comparative studies on gear, food, resupply, accommodations. Blogs, journals, diaries. If you can't find it, ask. If you can't ask, read. If you can't read, guess. The choices may seem daunting (I though so at first), but everyone falls down on their own bag (lol) at night. You won't like or hate someone else's gear, you will like or hate your own.

I'm not an experienced hiker, however---in spite of all recommendations---I have to choose my own gear. I'll pick out what I think will work for me (because that's the best anyone can do) and try it on the trail. Replace as needed. Rinse and repeat.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

further...

I don't begrudge anyone a website, even you. But in this case it just seems as though the OP came here without hangin' around a bit, and posted what to me seems like a advertisement...Spam if you will. Had he become a member hung around a bit, told a few jokes or whatever, I think it would have been more well received. jm2 cents worth of an opinion.

My original impression was akin to rocketsocks. "An advertisement?", I thought? Here? And shamelessly on his first post?! Really?! I'm surprised it hasn't been deleted already.

So, he's simmered down all the "conflicting information out there" after his thru-hike experience to form his own personal opinion on what he thinks everyone should know. Some people's arrogance knows no bounds.

I'm not going to his site. I've found everything I need here. I choose where to grant my hits.

it's just walkin' y'all

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    With all of this bumping and checking, is there where the "hockey breaks out at the fight"?
    Hockey...I thought we were playin' 5 card hold this in your hand.

BTW, welcome to WB Da-Wart and Tianto. You'll fit right in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    BTW, welcome to WB Da-Wart and Tianto. You'll fit right in here.
    +1 on this, nothin happens here that can't be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tianto View Post
    If putting you in your place, relieving this message board of your tirades and exposing others to your lack of maturity qualifies as an intelligent post to you , then we can start a new thread and show everyone your intellect, or lack thereof.

I have noticed that you and some of the other giant egos on this board have toned it down quite a bit since my arrival, perhaps this thorn in your side will stick around for a while if for anything, to keep you and your clan in check to allow others to discuss things in a civil manner.

As for me, i quite enjoy disarming the message board bullies like yourself, a hobby I guess you could say.
    Ah, now I understand. I have had dealings with your like many, many times on the internet over the past several decades. Uncivil, juvenile, disingenuous. What a worn out old cliche! Instigate, obfuscate, and then retreat behind your trollish facade of self-aggrandizement (You can Google that, so you'll know what it means).

She has come here to troll, guys! She will not go away until she has burned herself out (or gotten herself banned). With some pathetically childish individuals, it is a sick moronic contest regarding how long they will be allowed to abuse others on any given web site. It's nothing new, but still equivalent to a six year old girl throwing a tempt tantrum.

You can try to hide behind anonymity, girl, but intelligent adults can read you like a cheap graphic novel.

Do stick around though, even though your just a movie of the week, a bumper sticker at best!

I been on this site at least for a few years off and on, I had another account name but I can't remember what it was since its been over a year since I used it last.

I did browse this site before I went on my hike but I found all the information here confusing and kinda all over the place. I believe I have consolidated the information into a good starter package for someone to get up and go on the AT by following my advice.

And I do think my advice will work just for about anyone, and the site is there so people can ask questions and I will guide them in the right direction if they ask.

If you guys want to add anything let me know and I will.

Also let me know if you want your trail blogs linked through the website~ would love to get some of your guys blogs/sites up!

Images

the info you consolidated doesn't work for everybody. your hammock setup for me at 6-3 200lbs. a pack cover? why not a packa.
    i don't even post my gear list. been told i don't take enough clothes. told i'm going to freeze with no down jacket and stuff. i just can't see ANYONE having all the answers, even most of them for all hikers. there is nothing on your site you can't find here.
    Congratulations on your thru hike
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

"I did browse this site before I went on my hike but I found all the information here confusing and kinda all over the place."

To a certain extent that can be true, it is after all a largely opinion based website - JUST AS YOUR SITE ALSO IS!, - but again it's because of what was said in the second post on this thread - "
    there are so many different hiking styles!"

"I believe I have consolidated the information into a good starter package for someone to get up and go on the AT by following my advice."

That's good! I'm sure it will be helpful to someone. However, IMHO, and I would say in a great many other thru-hiker's opinions, much info has been consolidated already on hiking the AT right here on WhiteBlaze. WhiteBlaze, being there exists such an extreme varying depth of AT info, it's going to naturally produce a greater variety of opinions when compared to a newer AT related hiking site like your site currently is. It will happen on your site too as it ages! - varying opinions will amass. That's GOOD! That's what's so great about hiking. Each of us gets to individually decide what info we accept, refuse, or not apply as well all hike on own hikes. That is, not everyone does the same hike or hikes with the same style. That's GOOD!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++