WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: food $$$$$

Default food $$$$$

hey guys i am starting my thru hike march 2015 and im making my budget. my question is how much money are you spending on food for how long and what are you getting and also whats the main grocery stores off of the trail.im only talking about food for the trail but if there are any favorite pit stops along the way what are they.thanks

Journal Entries

The suggestion for $$$ is $2/mile. Your food stops will be pretty much dictated by the trail itself, weather, working and gifting of trail angels, and the hike you are doing and desire to do. There are some classic 'must do' stops but you will find out about them as you travel. Other then that the guild book has all the info you need, well smartphones apps do help too.

For me, and HYOH, the AT is not about this type of food planning (I realize that money planning is different) , Just let it happen and it will and you should be happier that way. I suggest look no further then your next major resupply.

Images

There are towns within hitching distance of the trail every 3-6 days, most of them have real grocery stores. Some of the really small places just have a rural gas station grocery, good for very short term resupply. But with all the development in the mountains in the last twenty years, there's a surprising number of actual groceries.

For on-trail food I usually spend $10-15 per day. That's for regular grocery stuff -- granola and pop tarts for breakfast, sausage and cheese for lunch, Knorr pasta side and a bag of chicken or bacon for dinner, plus lots of snacks. (Buying freeze dried backpacker food is a lot more expensive.) The cost depends on where you are shopping and what sort of food you like, of course. That means for a 150-day thru I would spend $1500-2250 on trail food, which seems pretty reasonable based on my experience.

I do eat a lot in town, to make up for the limited calories I can carry, and eating in town costs far more. If I didn't, then my on-trail costs might go up a little.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

thanks guys i was more just trying to get an estimate for money purposes not really to dictate where i go. i want to finish and i don't want to have to worry about the logistics of the trip while im there so trying to get it in order now

Images

If you have one of the main thru-hiker guides (the ALDHA Companion or the AT Guide) the logistics are actually pretty easy. Your first resupply is at Neels Gap and the store is right on the trail. The next is at Dicks Creek Gap, easy hitch to Hiawassee, then Winding Stair Gap with an easy hitch to Franklin. Once you've done those you'll be able to handle pretty much anything.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Garlic
    Images

You might want to think about two different food budget line items--trail food and town food. It turns out I spent nearly as much on town meals ($700) as I did on trail rations ($750, with no mail drops). That was for a 3.5-month hike.

There are very many opportunities to buy groceries along the way, as well as C-stores, delis, restaurants and ice cream shops. A milkshake at a wayside in Shenandoah NP will set you back about $5, but it's hard to pass up. Up in NY, I walked a couple of miles off trail for a decent Italian restaurant in a small town. That meal cost more than a couple of days of trail food, but places like that were one of the reasons I enjoyed the trip, not just the walking.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    That meal cost more than a couple of days of trail food, but places like that were one of the reasons I enjoyed the trip, not just the walking.
    Same here. Hiking is great and the primary focus but there's so much more than just walking to enjoy.

Many towns have a Dollar General which has basic hiker food if your not a picky eater. This is generally your best deal. Some towns will have a chain grocery store like a Food Lion or Krogers. The first time you get to one of these big stores, be sure to get one of their discount cards. The cards can save you a lot of money over time. Keep one of the keyring cards and give the rest to your friends.

At 19, you many not realize how much food costs. It costs a lot. Go to the grocery store and buy a weeks worth of food with your own money. Then go buy a couple of meals at a fast food place. Then you'll have an idea of how much it will cost you.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The first time you get to one of these big stores, be sure to get one of their discount cards. The cards can save you a lot of money over time. Keep one of the keyring cards and give the rest to your friends.
    That's a great suggestion! I picked up a Safeway card somewhere in California to save some money on a 1 time purchase and for whatever reason didn't throw it away. I ended up using it several times - saved quite a bit.

(Actually, I put it in an app called "Keyring" on my phone and tossed the card... weight you know... )

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    (Actually, I put it in an app called "Keyring" on my phone and tossed the card... weight you know... )
    To really save weight you should have kept the card and tossed the phone So, 10K when are you going to tell us about your PCT hike?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Many towns have a Dollar General which has basic hiker food if your not a picky eater. This is generally your best deal. Some towns will have a chain grocery store like a Food Lion or Krogers. The first time you get to one of these big stores, be sure to get one of their discount cards. The cards can save you a lot of money over time. Keep one of the keyring cards and give the rest to your friends.

At 19, you many not realize how much food costs. It costs a lot. Go to the grocery store and buy a weeks worth of food with your own money. Then go buy a couple of meals at a fast food place. Then you'll have an idea of how much it will cost you.

that's a good tip for the discount card. and im used to shopping prices but i normally dont buy a lot of boxed items usually just meat and vegetable and some breakfast like eggs and sausage. ive been doing the shopping since i could drive and i do all the cooking at my house since i was 13 or 14 so i have a pretty good start on that. ill probably do a dry run with a week of food and see where i end up.

Start with a $6000 dollar overall budget, SUBTRACT Transportation to and from trail, Gear cost before trail, shuttle cost from Bus, Train station or airport, to AFSP or to hostel, and anything else you buy before you start hiking. their should be $3500 TO $4000 LEFT and remember you got to have money for emergencies such as Illness or injury, so your on trail Expense budget would be between $ 2500 To $3000 with a $500 dollar emergency fund.
    $2500 - $3000 this is for everything on trail= Trail Food, Resturants, Hostel/Hotel, Gear replacement,etc.

The main thing is spend whatever you can afford to but don't bankrupt your self trying to fund a thru-hike. Just ENJOY it. some of the hikers this year are saying you need to budget $1000 a month in order to have a nice comfortable thru.
    $3500 - $4000 should be enough for on trail expenses.

To really save weight you should have kept the card and tossed the phone So, 10K when are you going to tell us about your PCT hike?
    The phone had all my maps and guides - saved a ton of weight! (yes, I had all my eggs in 1 basket but brother, I *watched* that basket!).

I'm still processing the hike... it was such an incredible, awesome experience. The desert, the Sierra, the volcanos, the Cascades. It's the first time I've hiked out west and I'm hooked.

Some towns will have a chain grocery store like a Food Lion or Krogers. The first time you get to one of these big stores, be sure to get one of their discount cards.
    You can also check out the websites for any chains to see if they have cards - some you may be able to get by mail from the sites.
    Some stores may also give you a 1 time use # at the service desk if you explain you are just travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    The phone had all my maps and guides - saved a ton of weight! (yes, I had all my eggs in 1 basket but brother, I *watched* that basket!).

I'm still processing the hike... it was such an incredible, awesome experience. The desert, the Sierra, the volcanos, the Cascades. It's the first time I've hiked out west and I'm hooked.
    As my wife likes to say, "Welcome back- talk to you when you arrive."
    Best of luck with re-entry.

Images

It has all been said really. Will add, mail drops? Ehh maybe a couple. Your taste changes from wk to wk. Go with the flow and enjoy where you are and what is available. Its all good!

BigCranky is 98% correct.
    Food is a big $$$cash eater..
    I have found that if you look hard at what is on the shelf at the stores you can find items that have enough cal. and are cheaper than the commercial pre-made meals. Yes, there are some good hiking meals ( Hawke Vittles, and the one out of Austin, Tx. I have gone blank...) The discount card thing others have talked about is a good idea....use a bogus address or you will get all kinds of crap in the mail and on your email...
    2 years ago I go on the marriott and AAA card thing...this can save you 15 to 30 dollars per stay at hotels.
    Research....is the fruggle way to travel...
    .............good luck, and have fun....
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

I just finished the Colorado Trail and kept track of expenses. I spent about $600 on food but $400 was restaurant food in towns. I also sent two boxes of food which probably cost $100-150 including postage. If I had opted to eat trail type food in town, obviously the total would have been less. Note that I don't drink so the restaurant tab wasn't impacted by cost of alcohol which could be considerable.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Incidentally resupply costs in towns can be wildly different based on whether a large supermarket is present. Small grocery stores can be 2x as expensive as a supermarket like Safeway. Example: $2 clif bar vs $1; $1.89 for Idahoan mashed potato vs $0.99, etc. Sending food to towns with only small stores could pay off.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++