WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default setting up tent in the rain

How ? What's the best procedure for setting up a tent in the rain?
    I received my BA copper spur 2 yesterday, set it up in the yard, took a nap, I'm excited.
    It's a palace compared to the Fly creek 1 , which feels more like a bivy. Yes it does weigh a lb more.
    By the way what's the difference between packaged wt. vs. trail wt. ?
    Hasn't rained here for weeks, so I set up my tent and it rains. Go figure!
    And yes how to set up in the rain?
    Thanks

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I have the CS 1 squeezebox. I also got the footprint with the thought of leaving the fly and footprint together when I packed it up. When setting up I practice laying the tent out so that the fly covers the footprint, place my stakes to hold it down, then sliding the pole under the fly to set it up while keeping the inside dry. I then can get inside and set up the body of the tent while covered by the vestibule, again keeping the inside of the tent dry. Not as easy to do if it is very windy but I keep trying
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Virginia Tortoise

I have a Seedhouse SL1. BA makes some nice tents. What I have done in the past is always carry a poncho. If it rains, stick your hiking poles into the ground, place the poncho over them, place your pack under the poncho. Then put the tent up in the rain. Finally, throw the backpack into the tent and do the rest of the setting up in the tent. You can always shake out the poncho and bring the hiking poles in after the rain stops or the next morning.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I have a Seedhouse SL1. BA makes some nice tents. What I have done in the past is always carry a poncho. If it rains, stick your hiking poles into the ground, place the poncho over them, place your pack under the poncho. Then put the tent up in the rain. Finally, throw the backpack into the tent and do the rest of the setting up in the tent. You can always shake out the poncho and bring the hiking poles in after the rain stops or the next morning.
    Nice idea mikec !! Sounds worthy of carrying a lightweight poncho. Between my setup and your poncho idea i might have a fighting chance of keeping things dry when things are wet
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Ah the old setting up the tent in the rain question. The best option I have ever come up with is using an sil nylon tarp, string it up and put the tent up under it then use the tarp as an area to cook etc under. I use this when I'm traveling with family and I give the tarp to my wife to carry. Means she also has some shelter if we become separated. Comes in handy for lunch stops when it's raining as it only takes a minute or 2 to set up and pull down. Now I've reduce my solo tent from 59 to 19 oz I have the option to carry the tarp as well as it weights 14 oz.

Practice on rainy days. Eventually you'll get a feel for what works... and what works for you.
    Have fun.

Umm, don't set it up in the rain More often then not, there is a lull in the rain around dinner time. Wait for it. I've spent many nights in the rain under the tent, but can't remember the last time I actually had to set it up in the rain. Got to have good timing.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

One of the reasons I really like my Hexamid is that I can set up in the rain without getting the interior or separate ground sheet wet, that is if the tent wasn't already wet from the prior night. I've been setting up in the rain a lot and usually I get just a few drops inside. My pack is sitting on the ground under the pack cover while I set up the tent. Then the pack cover comes off and the entire pack goes in the tent.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I agree with Slo-go'en. I wait for a break in the weather if it looks like there is a chance, and set up then. Otherwise, I just set up the tent (Hexamid) and dry out any water on the inside as best I can (the rest runs down onto the mesh and out anyways).
    The one who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
    -Albert Einstein

When do you need a shelter? When it rains! In my opinion, if you are carrying any form of shelter that is difficult to set up in rainy weather, maybe find a different shelter system. Being able to set up/take down a shelter in rain and get in/out in the rain without soaking the insides is one of the key factors in a shelter purchase, IMHO.

I carry my tent and rain gear in the back pocket of my pack so I don't have to open the pack to get it. If you're using a tent with a rain fly that goes on after the inner tent is up you're going to have water inside, you'll just have to wipe it dry once you're inside. The tent I use has the bug netting and bathtub floor attached to the tent so it can go up without getting water inside...also only has four stakes so it goes up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    ... The tent I use has the bug netting and bathtub floor attached to the tent so it can go up without getting water inside...also only has four stakes so it goes up fast.
    The best way.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I carry my tent and rain gear in the back pocket of my pack so I don't have to open the pack to get it. If you're using a tent with a rain fly that goes on after the inner tent is up you're going to have water inside, you'll just have to wipe it dry once you're inside. The tent I use has the bug netting and bathtub floor attached to the tent so it can go up without getting water inside...also only has four stakes so it goes up fast.
    Which tent?

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I'm kind of surprised no one has stated the obvious method of setting up a tent in the rain yet... It's pretty much exactly the same as setting up a tent in dry weather except you curse throughout the process.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCheek View Post
    I'm kind of surprised no one has stated the obvious method of setting up a tent in the rain yet... It's pretty much exactly the same as setting up a tent in dry weather except you curse throughout the process.
    Haaa or u set up in the shelter and carry out!!if is a freestanding tent that is!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For one I have all my junk in a sylny dry back so that doesnt get opened until the backpack is in the tent. Secondly I fold my tent or roll my tent for that matter, the same every time. It takes me about 1.5-3 minutes to setup my tent. Once the tent is up, the inside should still be pretty much completely dry, I get my lab situated on his side of the tent after dryin him the best I can with his dry towel. and then I use my dry towel to to dry the outside of my pack off, which since I ude a pack cover, doesnt take very long. Now that all my possessions are inside the tent, I bath a little bit and start getting bed setup. With low profile fly flaps, and some concentration to detail, I ussually can lay down completely dry when its all said and done.

I did this process at Doll Flats 2 years ago, rained like crazy all day from overmountain to Big hump and all the way to Doll Flats, great time lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheCheek View Post
    Exactly

In all seriousness though I don't really do anything different other than just try to do it quicker. I carry a small quick dry towel, the ones you can wring the water out of, so I can wipe up any water that got it before unpacking the contents of my pack. Like Gambit said it helps to have the stuff in your pack in a dry bag. I use a trash compactor bag. Works great.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Like others, my tent is always in the top of my pack. Pull the rain cover back and remove the tent and reposition the rain cover. Pitch the tent and then dry any water from inside. Then place the pack inside the tent to unpack. This is one situation where a hammock is superior to a tent, if the tarp is separate from the hammock. You can rig the tarp and then rig the hammock underneath the tarp. The tarp provides shelter for unpacking, cooking, etc. For me cooking is problematic with my tent as I do not cook in my tent. So if it is raining, I'm pretty much limited to eating cold or uncooked food.

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    Which tent?
    I can't speak for Drybones, but Hilleberg & TarpTent tents set up this way. Another reason why they are at the top of my tent shopping list. Actually, they are the only tents on my Tent Wishlist.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Try setting it up upside down.
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++