WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
    I like the look of that tent, but don't like the fact that you have to stake it out. Can you cook under the fly?
    I cook under the fly...I always stake free standing tents anyway so staking is not an issue for me, like the fact it goes up about 5 times faster also...I've never had a case where I needed a free standing tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    How do I set my tent up in the rain? Quickly, very quickly.

If I'm hiking in the rain then I'm already soaked and I'm going to get the tent a bit wet anyway. Unless it's a torrential downpour, I can get my tent setup fast enough that it's still far dryer than I am.
    Being wet, especially your bag, makes for a bad night in cold temps...or warm for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    By the way what's the difference between packaged wt. vs. trail wt. ?

Thanks
    I don't think anyone answered this. If they did I missed it. Here ya go. From BA's website:

- Packed weight: This is the heaviest you can expect your tent to weigh, straight out of the box or from the store. This weight refers to all packaging, hang tags, as well as the stuff sacks, fly, body, stakes, poles, and guy lines.

- Trail weight: This is the lightest you can expect your tent to weigh, stripped of everything but the essentials. This number reflects the weight of just the fly (no guy lines), body, and poles.

- Fast-fly weight: This is the weight of your fly, footprint and poleset only.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Haaa or u set up in the shelter and carry out!!if is a freestanding tent that is!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1
    Helps avoid Trail Induced Tourette's Syndrome (TITS)

If you have a freestanding tent practice setting it up upside down. Once you have it put together flip it over and quickly attach the rainfly and stake it out.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default BA CS1 in the rain

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    I was @ Neels Gap last year in March when the Big Agnes rep was there. He demonstrated the technique on how to put up their tents (Copperspur or Fly Creek) in the rain.

First, pack the tent body & the tent fly/fitted ground sheet separately. The tent body stays in a stuff sack inside your pack's pack liner (always dry). The tent fly & fitted ground sheet (often wet) stays above the pack liner toward the top. The pole stuff sack w/ stakes stays outside the pack in the wand pocket.

At camp, assemble the poles first. Then, quickly lay down the ground sheet w/ the tent fly over it. Stake the corners of the ground sheet. Attach the fly to the ground sheet at one end. Insert the poles into the corner grommets and erect the tent in fast pitch mode. Bring your pack inside the tent (where it's dry) and take out your tent body from the pack. Attach the corners of the tent body at one end and begin clipping the tent body to the poles. Work your way throughout the entire tent (it will get a little cramped; but, you're dry while you do it).

If it is still wet/raining in the morning, just reverse the sequence. Your tent body stays dry & remains so in your park. The wet stuff stays wet & separated from the dry stuff.

I basically did this this weekend. It wasn't raining Friday night but I had packed the foortprint an fly attached together. I didn't stake down the fly because its more fun when you miss the grommet and the pole springs away. I also have problems getting the poles the right way around the first try, despite the color coding. Pop the poles up and then clip the tent underneath.

Staked it out carefully last night because of the promise of rain. 0415 it started and we've got over an inch since then. I took the tent down under the fly and got it packed away dry. The fly was wet and the footprint mostly dry. They and the poles/stakes went in an outside pocket. I hightailed it out of there during a lull in the rain.

My pack sits under my tyvek doormat during the whole process.

My basement now looks like a used gear sale with stuff hanging up drying and airing.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Will be buying LHG solong 6....any users comment on setting up in rain??

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    I basically did this this weekend. It wasn't raining Friday night but I had packed the foortprint an fly attached together. I didn't stake down the fly because its more fun when you miss the grommet and the pole springs away. I also have problems getting the poles the right way around the first try, despite the color coding. Pop the poles up and then clip the tent underneath.

Staked it out carefully last night because of the promise of rain. 0415 it started and we've got over an inch since then. I took the tent down under the fly and got it packed away dry. The fly was wet and the footprint mostly dry. They and the poles/stakes went in an outside pocket. I hightailed it out of there during a lull in the rain.

My pack sits under my tyvek doormat during the whole process.

My basement now looks like a used gear sale with stuff hanging up drying and airing.

This was my Big Agnes Copper Spur 1
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Images

So Long 6 (or other tents I have used), pack them assuming that it will be pouring. As for the LHG So Long, I put my pack up against a tree or on a branch with pack cover on, get under the tent, Put the tent up with two hiking poles, take plenty of time (rain gear on), to stake out tent, then put pack in after putting pack cover in the vestibule, same with rain gear. Get in tent, use pack towel to wipe down tent, start your night up.

Just thinking! Put up tent in fast pitch mode, as others have mentioned. Put pack and tent body in dry corner. Then fix supper under the better ventilated fly only set up. After supper finish setting up tent body.

Bring dry clothes...el solvos problamo.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    How do I set my tent up in the rain? Quickly, very quickly.

If I'm hiking in the rain then I'm already soaked and I'm going to get the tent a bit wet anyway. Unless it's a torrential downpour, I can get my tent setup fast enough that it's still far dryer than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Being wet, especially your bag, makes for a bad night in cold temps...or warm for that matter.
    My sleeping bag doesn't get wet, it stays in a dry sack until I'm ready to take it out and use it. I set up my tent very quickly, wipe off the the tent floor and my ground pad and go about my business.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Same here. Just set up the tent quickly, then put your gear inside. Anything that needs to stay dry should have been packed that way (particularly the sleeping bag). No big deal.

Now try packing up in the rain...completely different set of rules apply.

Journal Entries
    Images

Always try and wait for lull in the rain. Practice, practice..... Main worry is keeping my bag and pad dry. As of late have been considering Cuban Fiber type shelter because I've heard from the younger generation they dry quicker and that a quick wipe down of the inside in wet weather actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Now try packing up in the rain...completely different set of rules apply.
    Breaking camp in the rain is not an issue for me, everything is inside the tent, pack is hanging on one of the hiking poles used to support the tent, I pack everything into the pack except tent and ground cloth and close it up, then put on the rain jacket or poncho and go outside and roll up the tent and ground cloth and put them in the packs back pocket and I'm on my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Breaking camp in the rain is not an issue for me, everything is inside the tent, pack is hanging on one of the hiking poles used to support the tent, I pack everything into the pack except tent and ground cloth and close it up, then put on the rain jacket or poncho and go outside and roll up the tent and ground cloth and put them in the packs back pocket and I'm on my way.
    Same, if the tent is all wet, no since packing it away neat, cause at the first chance of good weather (not raining) and a break, it's coming out the dry or pitch at the end of the day...which ever comes first.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    I was @ Neels Gap last year in March when the Big Agnes rep was there. He demonstrated the technique on how to put up their tents (Copperspur or Fly Creek) in the rain.

First, pack the tent body & the tent fly/fitted ground sheet separately. The tent body stays in a stuff sack inside your pack's pack liner (always dry). The tent fly & fitted ground sheet (often wet) stays above the pack liner toward the top. The pole stuff sack w/ stakes stays outside the pack in the wand pocket.

At camp, assemble the poles first. Then, quickly lay down the ground sheet w/ the tent fly over it. Stake the corners of the ground sheet. Attach the fly to the ground sheet at one end. Insert the poles into the corner grommets and erect the tent in fast pitch mode. Bring your pack inside the tent (where it's dry) and take out your tent body from the pack. Attach the corners of the tent body at one end and begin clipping the tent body to the poles. Work your way throughout the entire tent (it will get a little cramped; but, you're dry while you do it).

If it is still wet/raining in the morning, just reverse the sequence. Your tent body stays dry & remains so in your park. The wet stuff stays wet & separated from the dry stuff.
    Pretty much the way I figured out how to do on my own. I place the grommets for the tent body under the ones for the footprint so I can release the body and pack it first while still under the fly. Of course it is so light that it is tricky when it is windy when you are trying to get it up.

““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    Pretty much the way I figured out how to do on my own. I place the grommets for the tent body under the ones for the footprint so I can release the body and pack it first while still under the fly. Of course it is so light that it is tricky when it is windy when you are trying to get it up.

"I place the grommets for the tent body under the ones for the footprint so I can release the body and pack it first while still under the fly."

Learned that lesson also.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Images

My solution: suck it up and hike on to the next shelter. :-)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++