WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Average miles

Journal Entries

Heavily dependent on pack weight, fitness, and how far you WANT to hike in a day. Some do 9-2,with a lunch break. Others do 6-6. Obviously the longer u hike,the farther u go.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Heavily dependent on pack weight, fitness, and how far you WANT to hike in a day. Some do 9-2,with a lunch break. Others do 6-6. Obviously the longer u hike,the farther u go.
    Never thought of just setting a time schedule and walking in that frame, I kinda like it though, although day hiking kinda doesnt permit this.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Just because you have 8 hours of hiking time and you're able to hike 1.5mph doesn't mean you can hike 12 miles in a day.
    At some point, depending upon your fitness level, terrain, and pack weight, you're body is simply going to start to get tired regardless of the amount of daylight left.
    The OP ask for an Average of miles an Inexperienced person should be able to hike, 1.0 to 1.5 miles an hour or 8 to 12 miles a day is a good average for an inexperienced hiker, some people will do less or more and some will stop at 2:00 pm just cause they want to, IT all depends on your personal preference. HYOH.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    I have a friend who is a terrible hiker, but loves to hike. He does quite well with the mantra "never pass a shelter." More seriously, I do think 6 to 12 miles/day would be the daily reasonable range for the average new hiker on moderate terrain. It took me a year of hiking to go farther than 12 miles in a day...
    Hi, 1azarus! I resemble that remark. (Except that I seldom use shelters.)

8-12 has worked well for me on numerous weekend backpacks, so it's what I'm planning to start with on my NPT thru. Since the terrain there is so much more moderate (I've had more elevation change on an overnighter than the NPT does on the entire trail), Just Bill is telling me that I'll find myself kicking it up a notch. We'll see.

In any case, terrain, weather and load are everything. I can quite comfortably walk ten miles on my local bike path with a light day pack in 3-3.5 hours. Ten miles on a rocky trail with 3000 feet of elevation gained and lost and a much heavier day pack (I started with four litres of water, for one thing) took me more than six hours two weekends ago. The same mileage on a hard bushwhack carrying a pack for a weekend, I wouldn't even attempt. Last month, 6.5 miles in those conditions was a tough day.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Not to brag, but I did from the NOC to Fontana Dam Shelter in one day. That's about 30 miles.

Granted, I started at 8am, and hiked down the hill into Fontana in the dark with a headlamp on...... I got in to the shelter at 1030am.

Best answer would be.... you can hike as far as you want... or as far as your feet and knees will hold up.

Ugh I meant I got in at 1030pm.

14.5 hours for 30 miles.

As you can see, there are a lot of different ways to look at this and some strongly held opinions.

I believe a good rule of thumb for a beginning hiker wanting to plan routes is 5 to 10 miles/day. This will be doable without the stress of "will I get back on time" and will give you time to take breaks and assess. (are there hotspots on my feet? Does my pack ride comfortably? How do I like my walking sticks? Should I have brought shades? Do I really like oatmeal this much?)

For section hikes in Maine and NH I would plan 12 to 14 miles for the first two days and then extend up to 16 later in the trip. Down south I would shoot for 13 to 15 the first two days and then would go as far as 18 to 20 later in the trip. I pretty much plan on 8 hours of hiking and the terrain decides how far I go. On thing that took me awhile to figure out is stop for 5 minutes every hour. In the morning it feels foolish but if I skip the morning breaks the afternoon feel a lot longer.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    For section hikes in Maine and NH I would plan 12 to 14 miles for the first two days and then extend up to 16 later in the trip. Down south I would shoot for 13 to 15 the first two days and then would go as far as 18 to 20 later in the trip. I pretty much plan on 8 hours of hiking and the terrain decides how far I go. On thing that took me awhile to figure out is stop for 5 minutes every hour. In the morning it feels foolish but if I skip the morning breaks the afternoon feel a lot longer.
    You're a seasoned hiker, and used to cranking big miles - obviously, from the numbers you quote.

But anyone asking the "how many miles per day" question is a newbie, and it's best to be conservative until a newbie finds his trail legs. If I have beginners along, I plan 2 miles/hour, add 40 min per 1000 feet of elevation change (up or down), and no more than 8 hours in motion in a day. (If I've got a good elevation profile, I might try for a closer estimate using this worksheet.) For you, I'd apply the correction for "fit and experienced hiker". For me, I wouldn't. (I might split the difference if I'm feeling good that day.)

We can always pick up the pace if everyone in the party is feeling strong, but you can't slow down from the planned mileage if you have a ride meeting you or a supply limit.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

all the numbers your getting are averages, take them as such. they range from the slowest to braggers.
    when you start just hike. the you set too high a goal you may be disappointed and try to make up the miles the next day. this is how hikers get hurt (physically and mentally). just one step at a time. the miles will take care of themselves.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries
    Images

8-12 sounds reasonable. Pack weight being a big consideration. Also my experience is the correct foot ware matters quite a bit also. Right now pushing 60 YO and going off at 28 lbs for three days I'm comfortable in the 12-15 range. Anymore and the aches and pains set in to make the hike not fun. When I was 30, Could do constant 20-25's with more weight.

When I started hiking the AT at 40 a 15 mile day was about all I could do. I would recommend 10 - 12 MPD to a noob.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Did you read Karl, above? A wise man indeed. No need to reitur...reitter...um, repeat what he said.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

My husband and I are 42 and we just completed our first long hike this summer, in the midwest. (no mountains) We are a bit overweight and in average physical shape for our age/weight range. I carried 45 pounds with food and water and we did roughly 8 miles a day. Im sure we could have done more, but didn't want to get to the point that we weren't enjoying ourselves anymore.

Images

I would concur at 8 miles a day. Stop once an hour and take your shoes and socks off for a few minutes. Wrap a toe at the first sign of a blister ( as soon as it starts turning red or hurting).

I'm 65 and in decent shape, I target 20 miles per day and given the choice of 16 or 24 to set up at water I'd normally go with 24, regardless of terrain it takes me about 9 hours to hike 20 miles at a comfortable pace and with breaks, longest day was 28, I have torn meniscus in both knees which give me a problem. Before I went on the AT 12 miles was a long day for me, it's more a mental than physical thing, you have to learn what you are capable of...changing from heavy leather boots to trail runners made a big difference.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

When I bring someone backpacking who is totally new, I usually plan for a around 8 miles a day, 10-12 if they are in good shape.

A lot of new people try to do a lot of miles on day one and succeed, but it's the second and third day when the exhaustion catches up with you.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    A lot of new people try to do a lot of miles on day one and succeed, but it's the second and third day when the exhaustion catches up with you.
    It's not just something that happens to "new people."

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Quite impossible to say! I depends on your age and fitness, how much weight you're carrying, and what section of trail you're hiking.

The trail ranges from quite easy (in the mid-Atlantic, say Maryland) to quite difficult (Maine, New Hampshire.)

As a 55 year old carrying 30 lbs., I was able to hike consistent 15 mile days on the easier sections of the AT. As a 37 year old carrying 40+ lbs. I could barely maintain an 11 mile per day average.

Don't forget how averages work.... on very long hikes, folks want to take a day or half-day off every now and then.
    Age has nothing to do with it. It is all about fitness. At 71, I am as strong as I was at 45. Last week, I covered 41 miles of the PCT in 3 1/2 days with a 35 lb pack.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Age has nothing to do with it. It is all about fitness. At 71, I am as strong as I was at 45. Last week, I covered 41 miles of the PCT in 3 1/2 days with a 35 lb pack.
    Yeah, for sure. You're gonna live forever, Shutterbug!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++