WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Average miles

Default Average miles

I am a total newb to hiking other than here and there a few miles at a time. I was wondering how many miles an inexperienced person could expect to travel on a multi-day hike. I know there are a lot of variables, just looking for a ballpark average to start looking at routs.

6 -20, depending on how good of shape you are , weather, terrain... more then likely 6-10 miles

A lot depends on how heavy your pack is and what kind of shape you are in and how much hiking or running you do generally. Someone in shape may be able to handle 10+ miles a day, someone who is completely out of shape will struggle to do 5.

For the first couple of trips, figure about half as many as you can do on a dayhike; i.e. if you normally hike 12, plan on 6-8.

Quite impossible to say! I depends on your age and fitness, how much weight you're carrying, and what section of trail you're hiking.

The trail ranges from quite easy (in the mid-Atlantic, say Maryland) to quite difficult (Maine, New Hampshire.)

As a 55 year old carrying 30 lbs., I was able to hike consistent 15 mile days on the easier sections of the AT. As a 37 year old carrying 40+ lbs. I could barely maintain an 11 mile per day average.

Don't forget how averages work.... on very long hikes, folks want to take a day or half-day off every now and then.

Also time of year is a huge factor on how many hours per day you can hike. 1 1/2 mph is setting the bar pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by lamarr View Post
    Also time of year is a huge factor on how many hours per day you can hike. 1 1/2 mph is setting the bar pretty low.
    Speak for yourself. 1.5 mph in the White Mountains or northern Long Trail is quite respectable, IMO.

Plan 5 mile days if you've never done any backpacking before, and do a few 2 day trips before you plan anything longer, that way if its kicking your ass you don't have 30 more miles to go before you bail.

I'm in my 50's and went on a multi-day hike (first in a long time) in central VA this summer. I think this was a pretty typical mix of terrain - some rocks, some easy walking, some scrambling, about 1900 ft up and 1900 ft down every day. Pack base weight was about 15 lbs. Perhaps carried a bit more food and water than most as I was going for 6 days with no resupply and this is a dry summer so had to carry a full day of water sometimes. I planned on 12 miles per day, which would have been about right for me I think, except that my right knee started to hurt so I had to cut back. It wasn't really an injury (the knee was fine after a day or two of rest).

If I am backpacking, I like to get in 12-17 miles. If I am dayhiking like this weekend, I like to get 20+. This weekend I am trying to beat my personal best of 22 with 24 miles in under 8 hours. Fingers crossed lol.

I forget his name but the gentlemen that has hiked the AT thru 16 times does 30+ mile day hikes. There is a pic on here of him and a backpacker crossing paths between clingmans and fontana he walked it in one day which is about 30 miles
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Go on some day hikes with a reasonably weighted pack and gradually increase the mileage. See how it feels. If you aren't morbidly obese, 12 miles a day should not be a big strain.

As far as planning a multi-day hike goes, I usually just check the guidebook to see how far apart the shelters are.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Speak for yourself. 1.5 mph in the White Mountains or northern Long Trail is quite respectable, IMO.
    I think a total newb from Ky would be more likey to be hiking the south end. 1 1/2 mph Ga to Va pretty average.

Images

Like others have said there are a lot of variables at play here so I'll just give you what I normally do. My buddy and I are section hikers who try to stay in reasonable shape by doing day hikes and moderate exercise a couple times per week. On a multi-day trip we usually average between 14 and 18 miles per day depending on the terrain.

We are doing Duncannon to Harpers Ferry next month and have upped our intended daily average due to the easier terrain. Planning on 17 to 18 per day.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by lamarr View Post
    I think a total newb from Ky would be more likey to be hiking the south end. 1 1/2 mph Ga to Va pretty average.
    IIRC from Map Man's studes (and from recollection,) the first few weeks out of Springer are no picnic. The stretch from NOC to Fontana dam in particular, not to mention Bly Gap, etc. I was doing 11 miles per day from day one, and very few folks passed me in those days. (As we traveled further north, lots of folks passed me.)

It turns out 1.5 mph is close to the overall pace of the typical successful thru-hiker. Of course, that's day-in, day-out, averaged over five months. For sure, there will be stretches where you're doing 2-3 mph, but there will also be stretches where you're barely doing 1 mph.

Images

Depends on where you are going, and when. For warm weather hiking in mountain terrain like North Georgia or NC, if you plan on about 8 or maybe 10 miles per day to start that would be reasonable. You may go further than that, but it's a good start.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The average inexperienced hiker, even if they are a little over weight and out of shape (but otherwise no specific medical conditions) should be able to hike at least 5 to 6 miles per day starting out, even over some steep terrain.
    Once you know how well you can do on 5-6 miles per day, you can start to see how well you do as you push more towards 10 miles per day and then on towards 15+ miles per day.

I'm an experience hiker that is over weight and not in particularly good or bad shape. I can handle 10-12 miles per day in the steep terrain found in GSMNP. (Much beyond that and I quickly start to run out of steam for the day)

For purposes of gross time planning, an inexperienced hiker can plan on a hiking rate of about 2mph plus 1 hour for every 1,000' of elevation climb. However, hiking with youth can increase this time period... up-to as much as double for very young kids (6yo).

First of all let me say that I love this forum. You guys are awesome, thanks for all the input.
    I'm 41, overweight, but in half-decent shape. Between now and our hike I plan to get in much better shape. I am running/walking 3-4 miles about 3 times a week. My group and I are starting some day hikes and plan a few overnighters before the big one (2016). We are very close to Mammoth Cave and they have some great back country trails with campsites (not in the cave). We plan to go mid-summer so heat I'm sure will be a factor. Still undecided on AT or BMT or a combination thereof.

an inexperienced person should be able to hike " 1.0 to 1.5 Miles per Hiking hour, In an 8 hour day that person should hike 8 to 12 Miles per day. This is the LOW End of it, the better shape your In the more miles you can hike.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    an inexperienced person should be able to hike " 1.0 to 1.5 Miles per Hiking hour, In an 8 hour day that person should hike 8 to 12 Miles per day. This is the LOW End of it, the better shape your In the more miles you can hike.
    As well I think there is a mental game to be won with miles and inclines. When one is inexperienced, walking can become boring quite fast, more you enjoyand do it, that number of fun rate goes up and up
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Just because you have 8 hours of hiking time and you're able to hike 1.5mph doesn't mean you can hike 12 miles in a day.
    At some point, depending upon your fitness level, terrain, and pack weight, you're body is simply going to start to get tired regardless of the amount of daylight left.

AT 2012

I have a friend who is a terrible hiker, but loves to hike. He does quite well with the mantra "never pass a shelter." More seriously, I do think 6 to 12 miles/day would be the daily reasonable range for the average new hiker on moderate terrain. It took me a year of hiking to go farther than 12 miles in a day...
    Lazarus

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++