WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default MYOG Liberty Ridge Shell Kit

A couple of years ago I made the Liberty Ridge wind shirt/jacket fro Thru-Hiker. I have really liked it and gotten a lot of use out of it. My only regret was it did not have a hood. I considered adding one, it would be easy enough. but then I saw AYCE has this new material Pertex Quantum which is a breathable waterproof fabric. The other is water resistant and wets out after about 15 minutes of rain. This time I made a hood pattern from another jacket I have and sewed the hood on in place of the collar. The finished jacket weighs in at 3.3 oz. Now to field test it.

Liberty Ridge Jacket.jpg

Looking forward to your impressions after the test. I like the kit, but wonder if the Pertex Quantum, even though "breathable" won't be like wearing a sauna suit.

Jimmyjam-
    I could be wrong, but I thought the quantum was a DWR level of waterproofness? Never used it personally, but I know Zpacks uses it in their bivy and calls it a "water resistant breathable". Thru-hiker does sell the Pertex Shield, which I believe would be a better choice- http://thru-hiker.com/materials/coated.php.

I used the STORMFIT WPB with some success, both for a bivy top and rain cape- http://questoutfitters.com/h20.html#...oof/breathable Fabrics.

That said- if testing is successful, please pass the good word! Nice looking work as always!
    If not, looks like you got a real sweet windshell for less weight than a Houdini.

A random tip- I got some 1/16" tent pole shock cord to play with in poles. Bit to flimsy for that, but good for wrist cuffs, waist, or pack pockets in a channel. YMMV, but I found the stretch lycra binding to be annoying as it wet out and made me "feel" wetter than I was.

If you are happy with your hood, great. If not, if you have access to one, I copied the Hood off the Patagonia Houdini. It's a four piece hood (two sides, "Mohawk" head panel, and drawcord/brim panel. Once I got the pattern set up it has been my favorite hood for any project. I did not use the crown of the head drawcord in it. I did let the face cords run long and ran the tails through a third cordlock, when it's windy enough to justify the extra cinch, I just pull the cord over my head and cinch down to get the same effect with out the extra sewing hassle of the crown of the head channel.

Images

Damn Bill you are right, I mean I was wrong. or I posted wrong- the fabric that I used was the Pertex Endurance not the Quantum. I'll let you know how it works in the rain. First I am going to experiment with sealing the seams on some scraps. I'm so confused.

++ New Posts ++