WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default bear encounter in georgia

Was hiking north of neels gap today and saw 2 bears. First encounter was cool. Saw a juvenile about 70-80 lbs on the back side of levelland mountain. I heard something else behind the little guy but never saw it It sounded much larger though.

Second encounter is really why I made this post. I was eating lunch on wolf laurel top and had 200 pounder come up the side of the mountain about 50 feet in front of me. This bear made me nervous. He didn't want to leave. I hollered at him and he just kinda sombered off into the brush but never left. I could hear him causing a ruckus and vocalizing close by for about ten minutes before I decided it was time to leave.

Upon my return to neels gap I apparently was not the only person to have an uncomfortable encounter with this bear. 2 other hikers had similar stories within the last couple of days. One of them had their food taken.

So for those of you going thru this section over labor day be wary

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Was hiking north of neels gap today and saw 2 bears. First encounter was cool. Saw a juvenile about 70-80 lbs on the back side of levelland mountain. I heard something else behind the little guy but never saw it It sounded much larger though.

Second encounter is really why I made this post. I was eating lunch on wolf laurel top and had 200 pounder come up the side of the mountain about 50 feet in front of me. This bear made me nervous. He didn't want to leave. I hollered at him and he just kinda sombered off into the brush but never left. I could hear him causing a ruckus and vocalizing close by for about ten minutes before I decided it was time to leave.

Upon my return to neels gap I apparently was not the only person to have an uncomfortable encounter with this bear. 2 other hikers had similar stories within the last couple of days. One of them had their food taken.

How was their food taken away?

Journal Entries

Thank you for this information. We are headed there tonight and will guard our food carefully.

Default bear encounter in georgia

She hung her food up in a tree. The bear climbed the tree and grabbed it

99% of folks who hang food do it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Why don't you tell us what we are doing wrong? Contribute something instead of criticizing.

Hanging a food bag is simple except in the applachalans. Most places the trees are so dense it is impossible to find trees far enough apart, with limbs high enough and correct diameter for hanging.

Much easier in the winter when never an issue with bears.

Personally don't like sleeping with my food but in most locations it is the best option.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm pretty sure everyone I've met who has had food taken hung it. Controversial topic. Like treating water.

Quote Originally Posted by No Directions View Post
    Why don't you tell us what we are doing wrong? Contribute something instead of criticizing.
    sleep with your food

sleep with your food
    and no directions, i wasn't criticizing. just stating a fact

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I'm pretty sure everyone I've met who has had food taken hung it. Controversial topic. Like treating water.
    And by definition almost, everyone that hung it and had it taken, hung it wrong. What LW said is correct, most AT hikers are largely ignorant of how to hang, or just lazy. Good limbs arent common. Especially on steep slopes, so people settle for whatever.

Journal Entries

No Direction

While we can't tell you what you did wrong without seeing how you hung your bag, This video will teach you two ways of the PCT Method to hanging your food bag.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    No Direction

While we can't tell you what you did wrong without seeing how you hung your bag, This video will teach you two ways of the PCT Method to hanging your food bag.
    The PCT method is probably the 'best' method to hang your food. This video shows an alternative method of the PCT hang when 'the perfect limb' can't be found. Even a 'perfect limb' and a 'perfect hang' can be defeated if the bear is persistent enough. A Ranger in Kings Canyon Nat'l Park observed a perfect hang go for naught when the bear chewed the limb for over an hour until he was able to break it & get the food. This was when bear canisters were 'recommended' but not required.

I don't know the percentages of people who incorrectly hang their food bag. But, when bears begin to few backpackers as their equivalent of a Domino's Pizza delivery guy, say 'Hello' to mandatory Bear Canister requirements.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post

Honest question, is bear hunting legal in this particular area? Just curious.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    The PCT method is probably the 'best' method to hang your food. This video shows an alternative method of the PCT hang when 'the perfect limb' can't be found.
    Uhm, what video? Did you mean to include a video?

For those that don't use canisters (required in the Eastern High Peaks Wilderness in the Adirondacks, recommended everywhere else in NY State), New York recommends throwing your line over branches on two trees, and hanging the bag 6 feet below the line (and at least 10 feet from the ground) midway between the trees. (I still use PCT method.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

No Direction

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Uhm, what video? Did you mean to include a video?

For those that don't use canisters (required in the Eastern High Peaks Wilderness in the Adirondacks, recommended everywhere else in NY State), New York recommends throwing your line over branches on two trees, and hanging the bag 6 feet below the line (and at least 10 feet from the ground) midway between the trees. (I still use PCT method.)
    Kev, he was referring to the hyperlink that Buckeyebill inserted.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

OK, found it by another means.

The one thing that the videos don't mention is what to do with the excess line. Make a coil of it, and secure the coil with a slip knot. Just let go, and the line gets hoisted off the ground so there's nothing at ground level. In the morning, fish the line down with a trekking pole.

Kevin's pantry by ke9tv, on Flickr
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

No Direction

I have not had any problems thank you.

Images

My issue with sleeping with my food is that I might eat it!

As much as I want to bear proof my food by hanging, I also want to keep at bay skunks and other hungry, curious critters.

Images

I must be doing something wrong... I've hung my food from tree limbs. I've hung food from the cable devices... I've slept with my food in the tent... But I've never had a bear get my food. So, my food must really suck!
    Biggie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++