WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Question for those who use a Polycro ground sheet

Recently got one from Gossamer Gear. It works great under my tent at a light weight. However, I also like my ground sheet to double as protection for my sleeping pad (Thermarest NeoAir X-Lite) when I coyboy camp of sleep in a shelter. In my first use of the Polycro directly under my sleeping pad, I found it be hilariously slippery. My thermarest was sliding all over the place with my body weight on it. It would have to be a PERFECTLY flat surface for it to work.

My question, does this get better as the sheet gets used and accumulates some debris, or is this a characteristic of the material? If not, any recommendations for a light material with more friction?

Images

Never had that problem. Best tent floor protection wt./performance beats tyvek. I use this mostly in shelters as cowboy camping on the east coast is less utilized. I have seam seal across the tent floor to limit sliding inside my tent, you might see if that works.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I know some folks get months of use out of their polycro ground sheets but for the life of me I can't get one to last a week without tearing and once it starts tearing... it's over.

I've also experienced a lot of sliding on polycryo, I suspect this has a lot to do with sleeping style and the pad used. I'm definitely in the "active" sleeper category and the last time I was out was using an older Thermarest with pretty slippery nylon body. My new Xtherm feels a lot more sticky so I'm hoping there will be less sliding. Overall I like the weight of polycryo but not crazy about the slippery-ness, the way a gentle breeze can pick it up when setting up under a tarp, and the lack of bathtub protection in heavy downpours if using a shelter with no floor. Especially with the last one in mind I'm planning to eventually move to a sil or cuben bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorse View Post
    Recently got one from Gossamer Gear. It works great under my tent at a light weight. However, I also like my ground sheet to double as protection for my sleeping pad (Thermarest NeoAir X-Lite) when I coyboy camp of sleep in a shelter. In my first use of the Polycro directly under my sleeping pad, I found it be hilariously slippery. My thermarest was sliding all over the place with my body weight on it. It would have to be a PERFECTLY flat surface for it to work.

My question, does this get better as the sheet gets used and accumulates some debris, or is this a characteristic of the material? If not, any recommendations for a light material with more friction?

LOL. I hear you. I've had the same thing happen as a side sleeper tossing and turning from side to side all night while cowboy camping with a polycro ground sheet and NeoAir Xlite set up. You came to the same reasoning I have with this set up - make sure to be sleeping on very level ground. I don't know if this would appeal to you based on your already highly wt sensitive gear choices but you could add a few dots of McNetts Seam Grip to the underside of your Neo Air for better grip. I've seen a spray that is possibly more gram weenie agreeable that can be spayed on a ground sheet or the underside of an inflatable pad that also increases friction. I've never done this though and don't remember where I saw it. Light Bulb - how about spraying the underside of the NeoAir with Hair Spray to increase tackiness?

Even though the polycro does get some surface micro abrasions in it with use it doesn't significantly increase the tackiness IMO. What I notice does improve the friction between the polycro and Neo Air is all the darn duct tape I soon have used to repair the easily punctured and ripped polycro. This has had me scratching my head wondering why I simply didn't opt for a piece of Tyvek in the first place. This is why I limit my polycro use as a ground sheet these days on longer hikes.

I used a polycro ground sheet for all of my thru-hike. Didn't experience the slippage problem with a neo air.

Journal Entries

Don't notice any issues with xlite either

always the dirtbagger, ist polycro the same stuff that you use to storm seal your windows at home with a blow dryer. Same stuff that you pick up aT lowes?

Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    always the dirtbagger, ist polycro the same stuff that you use to storm seal your windows at home with a blow dryer. Same stuff that you pick up aT lowes?

Floyd
    Why yes, yes it ist.

Images

Yes, Mr.Floyd, this film is used for insulating windows and doors, available at Lowes, HomeDepot, hardware stoves. It's cheap and here's a picture of the stuff:
    http://www.amazon.com/3M-Indoor-Insu...nsulation+film

Images

Have used the polycro and still do sometimes, it just seems to rag out premature. Usually just go with a tyvek strip, not just under bivy but also to sit, eat on, etc...etc... multiple uses. Also having a flat sleep spot is a must, before I pitch shelter... lay on ground and check the lie, sometimes shifting leaves, etc, creates a flat lay.

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Have used the polycro and still do sometimes, it just seems to rag out premature. Usually just go with a tyvek strip, not just under bivy but also to sit, eat on, etc...etc... multiple uses. Also having a flat sleep spot is a must, before I pitch shelter... lay on ground and check the lie, sometimes shifting leaves, etc, creates a flat lay.
    To me, using my painter's drop cloth footprint in this fashion (checking the "lay" before pitching my tent) is probably the most important feature of my footprint. My shelters are not freestanding. By using the footprint in this way, I can lay on it and check the slope and, because it's clear plastic, see roots, rocks, acorns, etc. It looks pretty strange when I'm going through this process of moving my footprint around the site and laying on it, moving it, laying on it, etc. Like a dog making his bed! But it makes for choosing a great shelter site.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    To me, using my painter's drop cloth footprint in this fashion (checking the "lay" before pitching my tent) is probably the most important feature of my footprint. My shelters are not freestanding. By using the footprint in this way, I can lay on it and check the slope and, because it's clear plastic, see roots, rocks, acorns, etc. It looks pretty strange when I'm going through this process of moving my footprint around the site and laying on it, moving it, laying on it, etc. Like a dog making his bed! But it makes for choosing a great shelter site.
    They don't call Dogs, mans best friend for nothin'...

I use a sol emergency blanket, tough stuff with dual purpose. Will add some heat on colder nights if used to cover. Yes moisture will condense also.

Journal Entries

If u pack up a Sol emergency blanket wet, and forget and leave it, all the reflective stuff comes off. Its messy . must be similar to xlite issues with moisture inside.

Yes it does get packed wet, but dries quickly when i stop during the day to air it, tent and the bag out at lunch. The silver and orange do fade, but have never noticed it getting on my bag or clothes.

I've used those SOL and mylar space blankets for colder shoulder season ground cloth non-stealth use. The SOL is about $4 and weighs about 2.9 oz but I cut one in half giving me two cowboy/tarp ground cloths weighing just under 1.5 oz each and measuring 28"x84." Beats Tyvek, polycro, silny and CF for warmth and doesn't break the bank. I too have experienced the orange flecking off though. The regular mylar sheets work too at an inexpensive price but shred a little faster.

++ New Posts ++