WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lookout for your pup!

Long story short I kinda messed up this weekend. I became too ambitious and up'd our daily mileage yet again as a weekend section hiker to 25.5 miles plus a .7 mile spur trail to get up to the AT. My 6 year old pup Wardy and I are best friends and the only hiking buddy that has never in the slightest bit let me down, in over 800 doggy miles. Always right there behind my heels, obedient, aware and protective(against the unknown sounds of the wilderness). So after us successfully pulling several 20-22 mile weekend day hikes on the AT this spring and summer I thought we could polish off the last 35.5 miles of NC and TN over sat and sun then go dove hunting Monday.

We were doing great, got up to Greasy Creek Gap, started and was averaging right under 4 MPH and were doing good. Got to Cherry Gap Shelter, both filled up on water and up Unaka Mtn we went. About half way up ol' Wardy started slowing down, panting hard. We took a break, I let him drink a liter of water I checked his pads and let him cool down, We hit it again, got up and over Unaka, on the way down Wardy was really dragging now, our distance from one another would increase, I would stop to let him catch up and instead of trotting up behind me he would just lay over in the weeds. We got to Beauty spot, both of us quite beat from the Unaka mtn climb still race through the sunny spots of the fields and dash back into the shaded woods where we take another break, this time unlike most every other break, wardy just cant seem to get his breath. as we start the climb down to Indian Grave Gap poor wardy has nothing left in him, falling further and further behind like never before. I wait, he collapses, I pull him up we go a little further he collapses. we finally has a sit down, I gave him all my water I had left and at that time saw his pads, he had worn through almost every one of his pads (I’m guessing walking down rocky Unaka mtn). I took his pack off of him strapped it to mine and easing him onto the grassy splotches along the trail we slowly made it down to Indian Grave Gap. We were lucky enough to run into a day hiker that gave us a ride back to Erwin. I picked wardy up (95 pounds of pit and lab) out of the car and carried him into our hostel room. He was beat like never before, He laid on his bed without a sign of pain in the world. I sat there with tears down my cheeks patting him on the head. Checked out of our room, carried him to the car and left Erwin defeated. It really taught me a lesson that has cost me several hiking buddies over the years as well as probably some enjoyable experiences, as well taught me to pay closer attention o Wardy as he is not as invincible as I have become accustomed to thinking he is. The lesson learned is that although I have seemed to think it is, its not about killing miles, I haven’t heard of any weekend section hiker pulling a 26 mile day, which I was feeling up to 17 miles in at Indian Grave, but there is more to it then getting the miles done.

I believe that to be a tough little mountain (Unaka), and Wardy and I did 17 miles in 6 hours which included all of our down time of Wardy going down hill fast. My main point is listen to your pups, pay close attention to them and remember, they aren’t wearing boots!
    IMG_2590.jpg
    IMG_2734.jpg

Wardy is relaxin on the couch healing up and soakin up the AC. We will be back out soon walking <20 mile days enjoying the great outdoors
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Great message Gambit. True not just for those around us but sometimes even for ourselves.
    We sometimes push ourselves to hypothermia, heat exhaustion and heat stroke because we think we can make it a little longer, a little further.

So happy to know your pup is going to be okay. My heart skipped a beat when I read where he collapsed. I was afraid to read further at first. He looks like a wonderful fellow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

He is a good boy and has never met a stranger It was just tough learning this weekend that he is getting older and I have to be aware of that. This weekend is the first time I have ever out walked him.

Journal Entries

Dogs usually suffer cut and bleeding pads on the trail. They need protection too and may not be able to tell you they are thirsty or in pain. The first sign is that they do sit down and won't go any farther.

Images

I watch my dog very close, We don't do big miles when it's hot and All our summer hikes are around lakes and rivers.

When I was reading through your experience I wanted to reach through the screen and throttle you whenever you mentioned all the obvious signs of stress that he was exhibiting. But you seem to have learned from it and your dog is going to be ok... so I'm going to calm myself as best I can.

I will thank you for sharing because it may help teach other owners to listen to their dogs BEFORE its too late.

I thank you all for percieving my message as a learning experience and not as animal cruelty. It was a stepping stone for me and as a type this wardy is already back up and trotting around. I learned that as my best hiking partner, he has just as much to say about the trip as I do, I see him as a son and have to start treating him more like one as he geats older, hese my best friend and i can never replace him

They do make booties for dogs, too. Have you tried it?

There is also a product called Musher's Friend for his pads. My dog doesn't tolerate booties well.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    There is also a product called Musher's Friend for his pads. My dog doesn't tolerate booties well.
    Is it mushers secret?

Man oh man, I was worried where this story was going! I'd probably a nervous wreck if my dog collapsed.

Thanks for sharing with us though. It's hard to imagine my 2 year old pup ever tiring out, but the day will come eventually.

I've looked into boots for him. Supposedly, once they get used to them, they actually enjoy them (probably equate seeing them with going for a hike, just like their packs)

https://www.dogbooties.com/

There are many balms that you can try on your dog's pads. Musher's Secret and Tuf-foot are two that come to mind immediately. Its also possible to make a homemade remedy too.

I know boots work on some dogs but don't on mine. He has been trained to wear them and other strange items (ex. Doggles)but they never stay on his feet. Yes, I've had them properly sized and fitted. Yes, I've tried different brands. I just don't want to be constantly scanning for wayward dog booties with every step. But they are definitely worth trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtra View Post
    When I was reading through your experience I wanted to reach through the screen and throttle you whenever you mentioned all the obvious signs of stress that he was exhibiting. But you seem to have learned from it and your dog is going to be ok... so I'm going to calm myself as best I can.

I will thank you for sharing because it may help teach other owners to listen to their dogs BEFORE its too late.
    I am not going to be so kind. You should be throttled...period. Way too into yourself. Thats a big dog and as long as you say you have been hiking with this loyal companion you should have known better. I don't know if I would have posted this story animal control might be watching and come for you. were more into to yourself than the needs of your dog.

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    I am not going to be so kind. You should be throttled...period. Way too into yourself. Thats a big dog and as long as you say you have been hiking with this loyal companion you should have known better. I don't know if I would have posted this story animal control might be watching and come for you. were more into to yourself than the needs of your dog.
    Thank you for being so kind! Like others have stated, I learned from it. And there wasnt any sort of cruelty what so ever, we got off the trail at the next road crossing and I carried him to the car myself. It was hot, terrain was unlike the norm for the area, and he is getting older. I dont really think this is a "prime" instance of "animal control" needing to step in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Thank you for being so kind! Like others have stated, I learned from it. And there wasnt any sort of cruelty what so ever, we got off the trail at the next road crossing and I carried him to the car myself. It was hot, terrain was unlike the norm for the area, and he is getting older. I dont really think this is a "prime" instance of "animal control" needing to step in.
    Relax, Gambit. Animal Control won't be hunting you down over the internet. Nor will your local authorities as your dog has already recovered. The "good" AC officers are more interested in helping owners become more educated and help them so it doesn't happen again, especially in cases where unintentional harm was done or could be done. You didn't mean for it to happen and won't let it happen again, I'm sure.

As for hostilities you may receive. Just brace yourself for them.
    Many people, including myself, become more emotional towards abuse or negligence towards animals. More than we do for people, really.
    As much as you regret what happened, and as much as you care for your dog, the fact remains that he came to harm under your watch. I still thank you for bravely sharing your story... but I'm still struggling not to be pissed off at you too.

Just roll with the punches.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Haaa payback for being an arse hole about my dog snapping at the pony at Grayson highlands...lesson learned...roll with all the arm chair comments...Dogtra caught tons of **** over the dogs in shelters...Throttled!!! Haven't heard that in a while....good one..

Folks, he did as he should; he watered and rested the dog as he could. He checked for injury, I know from an issue that I had with my pup a number of years back that sometimes the injury is not where it appears --- my pups was a slipped disk in the neck that the vet missed the first time (dog was without issue at that vet visit) saw it the second I walked in the morning it started on a walk. He got off trail ASAP and carried the dog to the car then into the room then to his car to get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Longfan View Post
    Folks, he did as he should; he watered and rested the dog as he could. He checked for injury, I know from an issue that I had with my pup a number of years back that sometimes the injury is not where it appears --- my pups was a slipped disk in the neck that the vet missed the first time (dog was without issue at that vet visit) saw it the second I walked in the morning it started on a walk. He got off trail ASAP and carried the dog to the car then into the room then to his car to get home.
    thanks longfan i appreciate the support, anybody that knoes me and my knows that it was simply a buildup of over confidence, as my sidekick i grew to believe in his ability until it became too much in which case I quickly resurected the situation by gettin the ol boy what he needed.

One thing I try to remember when hiking with dogs ( or kids ) is that you should no longer 'hike your own hike': you need to hike your dog's hike. Most dogs give significant body language cues to tell you that they want something; for instance, my dog walks right by my side and looks up at me often to ask for water. I'm sure your dog isn't holding a grudge and will be just as excited to get back out there when he's completely rested up.

Happy hiking with your best friend!

++ New Posts ++