WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Thanks to Coleman Ranch in Saguache

In Segment 18 of the Colorado Trail, there was an old horse trailer parked near to the trail. It looked like it warranted further investigation and turned out to be a hiker shelter provided by the Coleman Ranch of Saguache! I made a note to send a thank you to the ranch after the hike but I can't seem to find contact info and figured I'd post a note here! This was the best "trail magic" I have ever experienced personally, coming in the middle of a relative dry segment of cattle country. One of the parts of the trip I'm sure to remember in 10 or 20 years! Here are a few pictures taken the afternoon of August 17:

DSC04606.jpgDSC04603.jpgDSC04605.jpgDSC04604.jpg
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

That was very generous for Saguache Ranch to do that. Kinda neat saying you slept in a CLEAN horse trailer on a maintained trail hike.

I didn't actually stay there myself but it was definitely tempting with the drinks and the wood stove. I ended up continuing on to a dry camp about a mile into Segment 19, but had I arrived later in the day ... well, it would have been very tempting!
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

I passed this trailer very early in the day and didn't even go over to it to explore. Wish I had known that it contained trail magic.

I probably wouldn't have investigated either except word on the trail was to be on the lookout for a trail angel named Apple who was known to be in that area so I was looking for something and apparently found unrelated trail magic!
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Was Apple and the geodesic dome there when you hiked thru? He was providing great magic (cold drinks, snacks, fuel, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Nooga View Post
    Was Apple and the geodesic dome there when you hiked thru? He was providing great magic (cold drinks, snacks, fuel, etc.).
    I never saw Apple or his camp. I think that I read that he leaves on August 15 and I hiked through that segment a couple of days later.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Unfortunately, when I passed through (september 1/2 or so) the trailer was a disgusting mess of trash. Sadly unattended caches of snacks/drinks inevitably turns into a big pile of trash, and hikers love to add to the mix by adding their hiker trash.

On another note, I'm guessing the trailer is only temporary? I can't imagine an unpermitted trailer like this not running afoul of forest service rules..

That's unfortunate. The trailer was in good shape when I was there with one other thru hiker. There was a trash can with a few empty coca cola bottles in it. Maybe the trailer was restocked shortly before I was there. Unfortunate that the ranch will end up having a trashed trailer to clean up after trying to do something good for hikers.

I agree. The few spoils it for the many……..

Yeah this was right where Apple's shelter was when I went through. I had such a good time sitting and talking with Apple that day. I didn't go up to the trailer, but I assumed it was Apple's! Interesting to know that it wasn't.

++ New Posts ++