WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Springer Mountain to Dicks Creek

My husband and I are planning on heading out October 10th or 11th and hike to Dick's Creek. Our current plan is to park at FS42 and hike to Springer Mountain. We are planning on doing this in 6-7 days and wanted to know the best suggested plan as to where to stop and camp. We do have the map and the updated book. We have hiked some of the AT in the past but only spent one night before coming out the next day. I am 52 and my husband 53 who exercise regularly and have hiking experience carry backs weight in and around 35-40 lbs. What are some absolute stop points for camping that you would recommend along with water supply. We both carry a 2L reservoir and I have a platypus water filter system..thanks for any tips or suggestions that will help us on our first multiple day hiking journey. Also what is the weather this time of year. Thanks in advance.

Weather is really nice that time of year, unless there is some tropical activity. You're from Florida, so I assume you'll know about that. Good tree leaf color that time. Search some recent threads here about water issues. Have a great hike,

Camp sites are abundant in GA and water is running well in all places. Leave the plans at home and hike until you feel like stopping. Seven days is about right IMO. As said in the post above it is a great time to hike. Wear some orange as primitive hunting season is that week. Enjoy!

Thanks for the reply's..especially about the hunting the season. Any favorite campsite with great views that you have experienced? Also about food? We plan on breakfast bars to go for the mornings and maybe P and J for lunch...I have the MSR stove so noodles and such and night with trailmix for snacks..what else holds up good and doesn't weigh much. Thanks again for your help

I like FatMan's advice. I would do it that way. However, if you must have a plan this would be my suggestion:

Day 1: Springer to Hawk Mt Shelter 8.1 miles. Last good water source for 6-7 miles.
    Day 2: Hawk Mt. Shelter (bring water) to Preaching Rock campsite (dry). 13.7 miles resupply water at woody gap for night.
    Day 3: Preaching Rock to Neel Gap (stay at hostel; shower bed, laundry). 9.9 miles Get water at Lance Creek, and Slaughter creek.
    Day 4: Neel Gap to Low Gap. Rehydrate well at hostel and bring a lot of water. There will be practically no water between Neel and Low Gap Shelter. 11.5 miles
    Day 5: Low Gap Shelter to Blue Mountain Shelter. Bring water from Low Gap Shelter, while not completely dry section, getting water is a pain. I do not know how water is at Blue Mountain Shelter as I did not stay there for my labor day weekend hike. 7.3 miles.
    Day 6:Blue Mt. Shelter to Sassafras Gap. 12.8 miles
    Day 7: Sassafras to Dick's Creek. 6.3 miles.

I did this part of this section over labor day weekend.

Day 1 was Springer to Gooch Mt. Shelter. 17ish miles.
    Day 2 was Gooch Mt. Shelter to Neel Gap hostel 16ish miles.
    Day 3 was Neel Gap to Low Gap 11ish miles + 7.2 miles of back hiking to find dropped camera (which I did).
    Day 4 was 1/2 day from Low Gap to Unicoi. 9ish miles

Next weekend I plan to finish GA. I will post a trip report here with water/trail condition/what I learned.

Hope this helps.

I recall that in the spring, there were camping restrictions for the few miles before Neel Gap because of bear activity. Have those been lifted, or is a bear canister required?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I recall that in the spring, there were camping restrictions for the few miles before Neel Gap because of bear activity. Have those been lifted, or is a bear canister required?
    No restriction currently. That ended in July I think.

Thanks..that does give me a guide of some such and I've heard or read nothing but good things about neel gap and looking forward to that stop. I read your journal of that one trip you lost your camera...I too have tendency to get blisters and carry mole skin with me....bought new boots last year so hopefully they will be less on this multiple day hike....very excited about the hike....thanks again for your guide. Looks like you didn't drink or eat much either...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by foxiedoxie View Post
    Thanks..that does give me a guide of some such and I've heard or read nothing but good things about neel gap and looking forward to that stop. I read your journal of that one trip you lost your camera...I too have tendency to get blisters and carry mole skin with me....bought new boots last year so hopefully they will be less on this multiple day hike....very excited about the hike....thanks again for your guide. Looks like you didn't drink or eat much either...LOL
    I drank a lot, except day 3. Eat? yea, not so much. I try to camp where there is water to rehydrate since I dislike to resupply water during a hike.

It is a great section. You will enjoy the hike. Make sure you hit Long Creek Falls on day 1. It is just off AT. Hard to miss.

sounds great...I have actually seen long creek falls as we once drove to three forks and hiked in for an overnighter...but I will go see again cause it was so nice....now folks are talking bout bears....a parachute rope and bag over tree for food at night should be good...right?

sounds great...I have actually seen long creek falls as we once drove to three forks and hiked in for an overnighter...but I will go see again cause it was so nice....now folks are talking bout bears....a parachute rope and bag over tree for food at night should be good...right?
    I would, thought I never had to yet because my sleeping locations always had bear cables. Although there are a fair amount of people here (to my surprise) who sleep with their food, I would recommend hanging.

Images

Seven days is reasonable for that section. AO2134's plan is pretty good, though be flexible with the mileage early on -- a 14-mile second day might be a bit much. You can resupply food at Neels Gap. Weather should be great - be prepared for lows around freezing, but overall it should be very nice.

I usually leave camp with 1.5 - 2 liters of water, and plan to get more when I stop for lunch, or when I cross water during the day. For me it's just a lot easier than carrying all the water I want to drink.

The shelters all have bear cables, which you should use if staying near a shelter. I find that convenient because most of the shelters have water, a privy, and a table, and I can tent nearby. Otherwise the PCT method is pretty foolproof if you can tie a clove hitch. I do find inexpensive para cord stretches too much with a full food bag and also digs into the tree branch, so I have some flat Spectra cord that works pretty well. But for this trip para should be fine. I find the key to a bear hang is the OP Sack from Aloksak, which is extremely odor resistant. The only time I have had a rodent in my food in recent years is when I couldn't fit all my food in the OP Sack.

By that time of year I like a hot breakfast - oatmeal with nuts and dried fruit, for instance, and hot coffee. It's chilly in the mornings. Lunch can be anything you can put in a flour tortilla, like tuna packets with cheese and mayo, or nutella and gorp, or PB&J. I also like a bag of jerky, a hunk of very sharp cheddar, and some crackers (the little single-serving tubes of Ritz are great and don't crush easily.) Dinner for us is a noodle dish with extras - a packet of chicken, or of real bacon, and some dried veggies. Try the Knorr Broccoli Alfredo Noodles with a bag of real crumbled bacon - oh my. We take lots of snacks, mostly bars but also gorp and salty stuff like pretzels or Combos. Don't forget chocolate! and a small box of red wine for the first night

Be totally flexible about daily mileage and your final end point. There are plenty of places to get off the trail in Georgia, so enjoy the hike and finish where you finish.

Happy trails!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

all great suggestions....love some of the food ideas.....and the wine...giddy up!!!! we once hung a bag that flying squirrels got into and ate most of our nuts so good to hear about a bag suggestion. didn't realize it would be that cold that time of year...remember I'm from Florida...lol. so the sharp cheese will not spoil on the trip? thanks all to the suggestion....im sure as my departure nears I will have more questions.....so excited.

Images

Yeah, flying squirrels can be a problem. Some folks like the Ursack or similar, which is made of bulletproof fabric that the critters can't chew through. I used one in Georgia many times just for the peace of mind.

Cheddar stays good for days on the trail, even in summer.

Yeah, it could be quite chilly, especially for folks from Florida.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

We did from Neels to Dicks Creek over Labor Day. It was hot and humid! I expect your trip will be much more pleasant.
    Enjoy!

hey AO2134, where is preaching rock; is that woody gap area; I could not find it on the map or book that I have.
    Thanks.

I did Springer to Plumoarchard Gap this past summer.

I got a late start one day one and camped at long creek falls (5.2). Really nice spot with water falls. Gooch Mt. for the second night...ok shelter.

I camped at Cowrock Mt (36.7). Really nice view. Wolf Laurel (36.3) would have been another nice spot as well.

Low Gap Shelter, although I didn't stay there, is probably one of the better shelter areas regarding water supply and extra sites if the shelter is full.

Cheese Factory (56.6) is another really cool site. I didn't stay there, but if I had to do it again, I would have.

My last night at Plumorchard (74.1) was a little lonely because I had the whole shelter to myself. But it was a nice site nonetheless.

Considering I was parked at Dick's Creek and needed to get back home to FL I wasn't able to make it to the NC line. However, I'll be back up there in early October.
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

so how many days did it take you..

hey AO2134, where is preaching rock; is that woody gap area; I could not find it on the map or book that I have.
    Thanks.
    Preachers Rock is on top of Big Cedar Mtn which is the first climb after Woody Gap. The AT goes right over the granite bald and there are a couple of areas to pitch a tent nearby. But I would recommend going a few hundred yards further to a short blue blaze trail to the right. The blue blaze takes you to another rock outcropping and a great campsite. Views are exceptional. But all is dry so as A02134 says you have to water up at Woody Gap.

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Preachers Rock is on top of Big Cedar Mtn which is the first climb after Woody Gap. The AT goes right over the granite bald and there are a couple of areas to pitch a tent nearby. But I would recommend going a few hundred yards further to a short blue blaze trail to the right. The blue blaze takes you to another rock outcropping and a great campsite. Views are exceptional. But all is dry so as A02134 says you have to water up at Woody Gap.

I didn't camp where Fatman suggested, but I did go check it out. I would push a little more and pick this location. It would make for an amazing campsite.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++