WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

This thread is getting creepy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Since when?
    LEO's haven't used "mace" since the 1980's. They all carry pepper spray, which is much more effective. The way mace worked was you had to spray it below the subjects head/nose, then the vapors of the mace would rise and you would inhale it. If you failed to properly hit the target or it was windy or the subject was prone it was useless. Pepper spray you go right for the face and oaks instantly (but not ALL the time!!)

Quote Originally Posted by A.T.Lt View Post
    LEO's haven't used "mace" since the 1980's. They all carry pepper spray, which is much more effective. The way mace worked was you had to spray it below the subjects head/nose, then the vapors of the mace would rise and you would inhale it. If you failed to properly hit the target or it was windy or the subject was prone it was useless. Pepper spray you go right for the face and oaks instantly (but not ALL the time!!)
    Accidentally sprayed myself with pepper spray, (long story how it occurred). A small drop of the spray only hit my forehead, but the vapor from that single drop was enough to burn my eyes and start me wheezing. A little goes a long way!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by A.T.Lt View Post
    A.T.L.T., I know what you are talking about, but to the average person the term Mace is usually used to generically describe civilian self defense sprays, most commonly pepper spray...Just think of how many people incorrectly say Bear Mace. I'm not even sure if they still make civilian sprays that are strictly CN Tear gas.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

A.T.L.T., I know what you are talking about, but to the average person the term Mace is usually used to generically describe civilian self defense sprays, most commonly pepper spray...Just think of how many people incorrectly say Bear Mace. I'm not even sure if they still make civilian sprays that are strictly CN Tear gas.
    That's what I took it to mean...all encompassing, anything that hurts and burns.

Journal Entries
    Images

Not sure why you would want anything characterized as "civilian".

Fox Labs 5.3 is well regarded, and comes in options that are small enough to be inconspicuous and accessible on a hitch or when fido come bounding up the trail. Or when sizing up a creepy shelter mate.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Not sure why you would want anything characterized as "civilian".
    I only threw the word civilian in there to mean the sprays that I've looked into that are commonly available to the public at stores or online.

I guess it's a moot point for you and I to discuss since sadly most of us are not even able to carry pepper spray in your state.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 09-17-2014 at 19:55.

Images

I know! I still call it mace still regardless!

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Man View Post
    Getting followed? Creepy.
    On a less than serious note, if I am following you on the trail, I'm not creepy, we are just going the same way!
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    On a less than serious note, if I am following you on the trail, I'm not creepy, we are just going the same way!
    And if I happen to be following behind you going uphill, please ignore all the creepy grunting and moaning you hear it's just me trying to fight my way up the hill. nothing personal.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    And if I happen to be following behind you going uphill, please ignore all the creepy grunting and moaning you hear it's just me trying to fight my way up the hill. nothing personal.
    Better a hiker grunting behind me, than a big brown furry thing with claws. The creepy thing I need to get pointed out to me is poison ivy.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Should I ignore your deep breathing?

Images

Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don't walk beside me either. Just leave me alone.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

It's like beauty....in the eyes of the beholder.

And I thought it was only guys who grunted!

Talking You nailed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    What makes a creepy person? Usually all it takes is a judgmental person who isn't afraid to label another.
    Yep, almost everyone. It's a fun topic anyhow!

Journal Entries
    Images

I guess it's a moot point for you and I to discuss since sadly most of us are not even able to carry pepper spray in your state.
    Looks like the law has just been changed, and it now legal for adults to carry pepper spray in MA now.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...ief_new_g.html

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Looks like the law has just been changed, and it now legal for adults to carry pepper spray in MA now.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...ief_new_g.html
    Excellent news! Thank you for the article!

Fair warning! I'm weird not creepy! I'd even go for goofy!

Quote Originally Posted by lamarr View Post
    Fair warning! I'm weird not creepy! I'd even go for goofy!
    The only thing creepy about me is the speed at which I hike. Wait a minute - that's creeping. Sorry about that.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++