WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Question 5-6 day Hike ideas

Looking to do a 5 to 6 day hike next month, from 50-70 miles, anywhere south of Damascus. Would like to incorporate a hostel/ resupply at the midway point. Preference is to drop vehicle, get shuttled to start point, & hike to vehicle (but I'm flexible).

I already have some pertinent info for Springer-Dick's Creek Gap (from Foxiedoxie's thread), but looking at the following sections:

Unicoi Gap/ GA 75 - Winding Stair Gap
    Winding Stair Gap - Fontana Dam
    US 19E Roan Mtn - Damascus

I haven't ruled out the Smokes, but not sure if I want to wait until next spring so I can walk with & shuttle the 2105 thrus.

BONUS- great fall foliage is a plus, since it may be my last hike until next year!

Would appreciate any info/intel/suggestions from anyone who's hiked these sections recently.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Hot Springs to Erwin is 69 miles and a nice stretch, with the highlight reaching the summit of Big Bald at 5,500'. WhiteBlaze's 10-K lives in Erwin and can shuttle you. Only downside is a mid-point resupply would be difficult.

From Iron Mountain Gap to Dennis Cove Road is around 55 miles. Mountain Harbor Hostel at US19E is about halfway in between for a resupply package and a night's stay -- about 30 miles from Iron Mountain Gap and about 25 miles from Dennis Cove Road. This stretch includes the Roan Highlands which is my favorite segment in the southern Appalachians for scenery -- I just hiked there last year and had an overnight stay at the well-run Black Bear Resort on Dennis Cove Road. There are a couple hiker friendly businesses on Dennis Cove Road that would have secure parking and where you could arrange a pick-up with an area shuttler. If you want a little more distance Indian Grave Gap to Dennis Cove would be more like 67 miles.
    Last edited by map man; 09-16-2014 at 21:22.

Journal Entries

I would avoid smokies in thru hiker season, unless spooning with strangers with 14 persons in a 12 person shelter is your thing.

WS gap to Fontana is one of the best sections there is. Plenty of views, NOC halfway, secure parking at end.

Journal Entries

I would avoid smokies in thru hiker season, unless spooning with strangers with 14 persons in a 12 person shelter is your thing.

WS gap to Fontana is one of the best sections there is. Plenty of views, NOC halfway, secure parking at end.

You should save Roan for June to see the rhodies.

++ New Posts ++