WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question To the graduated hammock thru-hikers!!! I have a question.

Hey my fellow hammock hikers!

I'm planning on doing the thru-hike in 2016. I'm worried about bringing my hammock, my UQ and then having to go to ground. As far as I've read there is a part of the trail where it's a field.

Should I bring my ground pad instead of my UQ and using my pad as the bottom insulation OR should I bring both? I'm fine with those extra ounces but I don't know if it's worth it.

Advice?

-hikeyours

Not a graduate, but in the same predicament as you. From what I've read, you can hang the whole way, just can't camp at some spots i.e. Max Patch. Just keep walking until you hit the trees.

I am considering swapping my UQ out for the Whites, however. I'm hoping to get at least one night in an AMC hut, and it would be nice to have a pad for that.

Stir Fry

I used a ULA Air-X as my pack. It has the advantage of using a sleeping pad as the padding in the back pack. I only used it 4 times from Springer to Marion Va. and was in my hammock the rest of the time. I used a 3/4 Therma Rest as the padding instead of the air mat that it comes with.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by overthinker View Post
    From what I've read, you can hang the whole way, just can't camp at some spots i.e. Max Patch. Just keep walking until you hit the trees.
    I do carry a cut down z-lite in case I need it, but you don't have to skip the views on Max Patch or other spots with no trees just because you're in a hammock. Here's my Blackbird on Chestnut Knob...

074.jpg
    -tagg

Umm..I'm not sure what you mean by, "part of the trail is a field." I hammocked the whole way through and never had a problem hanging. You ARE in the woods. The only thing you have to decide is, can you deal with a night or two on a hard platform if you're staying in a shelter? And, when I say shelter, I mean the lean-to's, as well as the huts in the Whites. Basically, I was unable to hammock in Baxter State Park (I was SOBO and had reserved a lean-to), in the Whites ('cause I stayed like 2 nights in huts...you can probably get around this with proper planning), and that was pretty much it. Now, in the Smokey's you're required to stay in the shelters; however, being there in off-season, I had the shelter to myself and pitched my hammock in the lean-to. Now, that being said, you may NOT be there in off-season (especially if you're NOBO), and they might not want you to hammock up there due to lichens. It "could" be a problem. Other then that, you're golden! I loved my hammock and super-sized tarp, especially when it rained!

From what I've read, you're okay putting up a hammock if you're okay putting up a tent - that is, if the shelter is full. I'm considering taking the BMT through the Smokies to get around the regs and congestion at shelter sites.

Images

At 11 oz I took my neo air and set my hammock up as a ground bivvy with a tarp lines and hammock lines to my trecking poles. They did not have to support any weight really just kept the net off me and the stakes gave the tarp a good low lie shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    At 11 oz I took my neo air and set my hammock up as a ground bivvy with a tarp lines and hammock lines to my trecking poles. They did not have to support any weight really just kept the net off me and the stakes gave the tarp a good low lie shelter.
    I used an UQ on my hike but if I were to do it again I would consider a NeoAir XLite instead. It's very light weight, gives you the option of going to ground or shelter and is not a disaster if it gets wet. I'm with Busky.

Not a graduate, but will be attempting a NOBO hike for 2015. I plan on bringing a Gossamer 1/8th" along with my UQ, to use in as a mat under the hammock, "yoga" mat, and as a pad in case I have to go to ground. It won't be a comfortable night, as the pad provides laughable padding/insulation, but it is better than nothing, and I can always lay any extra clothes, my pack, to lay on as well if necessary. I don't plan on having many/any nights on ground on the trail, so I am OK putting up with a couple nights without ideal gear for going to ground.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    I do carry a cut down z-lite in case I need it, but you don't have to skip the views on Max Patch or other spots with no trees just because you're in a hammock. Here's my Blackbird on Chestnut Knob...

074.jpg
    Thank you for showing this. I love being outside the box
    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
    Albert Einstein

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=18107

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I carry half a z-lite as well, for a sit/nap pad, and for those times when I want to sleep out in the open. Six ounces of versatility!

Hung the whole way with an underquilt. The only two places I missed having a pad were on wooden bunks inn the Dungeon at Lake of the Clouds hut and at Chet's Place in Lincoln, NH

I'm starting in 2016 and using a hammock all the way. My only concern right now is the cold.

I'm doing Southern half AT in 2015 with a 2/3 size UQ but planning to take 17oz, 3/4 size Insul Mat blow up along. The Insul Mat will be extra insulation for my lower 1/3 if it's really cold and it will be shelter back-up, just in case. May be shipping it home when when it gets warm. DAT

This is 90% of the reason of why I've pretty much made up my mind to go to the ground for my thru. The fact that I know I will want a pad at some point. I don't particular mind staying in shelters. Most of the time I'd rather hammock/tent. But a nice shelter, especially if it's only one or two other people in it. Why not? I like to change things up.

I think in the end I just found I'm making more compromises and carrying more weight/bulk with my beloved hammock then I am with my dreaded ground pounding tarp tent. Is the comfort of my hammock worth the extra weight? I haven't decided on that one yet. Keep in mind, the weight i'm carrying is a VERY large factor in this. It is a thru-hike after all, and I know you feel every pound on your back.

I have never used a partial underquilt (2/3 or 3/4) but want to get one to experiment with. I don't know how I feel about them. A full length makes sense to me, it's like having a full length sleeping pad. However, many of the lets call em "proffessional/very experienced" hammock campers use partial under quilts with great success. I hate finicky systems though, so I'd like to attend a hammock hang before I make the purchase to try a partial.

Top Quilt - 24oz
    3/4 Under Quilt - 17
    1/2 a thermarest ccf - 7oz

total weight = 48oz insulation

In my hammock I would use my quilts and supplement my foot box with the ccf pad if necessary. However, I feel like with a partial UQ... I'll always be supplementing. I hate cold feet. Going to the ground/shelter.. Lay out my ccf pad for my torso, put my pack at my feet with the trash bag on the outside, my pillow at my head. Lay my underquilt over that and sleep on top of it using my topquilt on top of me. I'd probably sleep, however, as much as that sounds like it would work, it prob is a lot less appealing when used in practice.

With my tent setup... well I have a full length inflatable sleeping pad and sleeping bag for shelter/ground use.

For some reason, I'm leaning towards a tent for my thru. However, I prefer hammock camping.

I forgot to add..

Inflatable pad = 13oz
    Sleeping bag/quilt = 24oz

Total weight = 37oz insulation

Even with a heavier bag your still lighter.

I think when most people say, you tend to be a little heavier with a hammock setup, that is where the extra weight is. My hammock,suspension, tarp, and bug net weigh 24oz. I could go with a lighter hammock like grand trunk nano 7 and shave 6 ounces off my setup but its less comfortable/durable.

Ahh... decisions decisions, isn't it fun?

Sorry if I didn't answer your question and gave you a bunch of useless information. I think I turned this into a tent vs hammock thread. However, that is what thru-hikes have come to with all the great option out there.

Best of luck on you hammock endeavor. Get over to hammockforums if you have not done so yet. Best information on hammocking on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Top Quilt - 24oz
    3/4 Under Quilt - 17
    1/2 a thermarest ccf - 7oz

total weight = 48oz insulation
    To each his own, but just for the record, this is my setup:

Top Quilt (JRB Sierra Stealth) - 17oz
    3/4 Underquilt (Warbonnet Yeti) - 13oz
    1/2 Thermarest ccf - 7oz

total weight = 37oz (same as your ground setup)

I agree that you can get lighter by going to the ground, but for me the weight is negligible compared to the comfort of being in my hammock. That's the best thing about today's gear market - there are plenty of options to find what works best for you.
    -tagg

My attempt will be early in 2016. I am using a double layer hammock, putting a good emergency blanket between the two layers of the hammock. They are light and reflect a surprising amount of heat (it's one of the tougher ones and can be used as a ground cloth if not often. I have a back country bed that has a slot that I will put a thermarest into. One of the ones that also reflects heat. I have a really cheap light ground tarp that I use to stand on and will use as a ground cloth if I have to go to ground. From what I have read, I expect I will only have to go to ground maybe 2-4 times. If I am in a shelter the integrated sleeping back will take care of that. I was a tent dweller for years and only in the past 6 months went into a hammock. I am older and the comfort of the hammock is not something I am going to give up for a few nights on the ground. I expect to be walking for about 160 days or more as I am no speedster, and want to take my time. I would rather sleep well for 98% of those nights. I also don't want to go into a shelter unless I have to. I don't need mice chewing through my stuff or dropping pellets in my gear. I also snore a lot so would probably drive everyone nuts anyway. A tent would be easier for me at this point as I am much more familiar with them but I have found enough positives to the hammock to work on getting better at it. I hung a few weeks ago in the rain. In the morning I packed under the trap in a few minutes and wrapped up the tarp last. Nice to have no mud or wet tent to deal with. The tarp I kept outside my pack because it was wet, but at least it was not a muddy wet. Tenting has its advantages too and if I was out for a week with my wife I would go with that as we like our time together. Solo on the AT, I am hoping to get the hammock down to as much of a science as I am with a tent. All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    To each his own, but just for the record, this is my setup:

Top Quilt (JRB Sierra Stealth) - 17oz
    3/4 Underquilt (Warbonnet Yeti) - 13oz
    1/2 Thermarest ccf - 7oz

total weight = 37oz (same as your ground setup)

I agree that you can get lighter by going to the ground, but for me the weight is negligible compared to the comfort of being in my hammock. That's the best thing about today's gear market - there are plenty of options to find what works best for you.
    I'm sorry I should have pointed out. My quilts are rated to 20*F, it seems your JRB is rated to 40-45*F

I'm impressed with the weight of the Warbonnet Yeti, however my 3/4 length UQ from HG is 45"x52" while the Warbonnet is only 40"x46". Hence, the weight difference. What works for you may not work for me as we all know.

Do you take your topquilt down to the twenties?

I have yet to purchase my UQ but I am sold on the Yeti combined with my Thermarest Z-Lite Pad (that has good R Value). The pad will work if I go to the shelter or ground, as well as working with the UQ in the Hammock. I also use a Sun Shade to reflect heat that doubles as a ground cloth, sit pad and wider insulation around my shoulders, or placed in the footbox when the Z-Lite Pad seems to be overkill. Versitility of the Sleep System is why I am going with the lighter weight 3/4 UQ and still able to sleep in shelters should the occassion arise. My weight is not adversly affected and yet, as has already been mentioned, my sleep is more comfortable and restful! I keep looking for an excuse to not hammock and purchase a Henry Shirer Rainbow... but alas, as long as I have a majority of nights with trees, I just gonna spend it hangin around!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++