WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Smokies - Late Oct/Early Nov.

Anyone who lives down there know what it's like?

Fall foilage? Temps? Snow?

Coming down this year, staying in Cosby, and would like to bushwack up to Guyot summit since I passed by it on the AT, but didnt actually summit.

Thanks.

Foilage peaks normally just before halloween. Temps can be anywhere from 70s to teens, and snow is possible but not likely.

Last time I went down there in mid November, it was 11 degrees the first night (campsite 37/Walnut Bottom). Not that this is typical, but it can happen. We were told at the time that it had been 7 degrees on Clingman's the night before.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Foilage peaks normally just before halloween. Temps can be anywhere from 70s to teens, and snow is possible but not likely.
    Absolutely true. Superstorm Sandy dropped record October snowfall in the Smokies two years ago. Ten days earlier we were hiking the ridgelines in shorts. Kinda chilly and foggy that day as I recall.

Thanks for the help all.

Images

I hike a lot in November in NC. Temps are all over the place, it could be single digits at night, or it could be in the 40s. Get a good forecast for the mountains before you hit the road.

Smokies weather

NOAA Newfound Gap point forecast (>5000 feet)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

likewise, im in TN and go backpacking year round, and have found winter can be hit or miss..

some days in shorts, some in long pants.....

after sandy dumped her storm in the smokies---the first few days had upwards of 3 to 4 feet of snow on the AT, but it was really warm and melted kinda quickly.......

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Based on climate data, the Hi/Lo temps around Cosby should be about 68º/38º.
    Based on climate data, the Hi/Lo temps around Guyot should be about 48º/32º.

Actual temperatures can easily be +/- 15º.
    I've seen permafrost in the trees and snow on the ground above 5,500' that time of year. But that's been rare in recent years.

I'd love it if you would take along a GPS and report back with a track log. One of my goals is to bushwack to Guyot some day. I recently hiked the AT by Guyot summit myself and didn't see many good starting places.
    You might want to consult with Goggle Earth as see if you plot an estimated path that avoids the large patches of downed trees. I've heard stories of people who have spent an hour trying to climb Guyot and never touched the ground because of the number of blowdowns in places.

There is a pretty good water source up there however.

Images

not that ive been there but i think you'll find the summit of guyot to be dissappointing.....

other than grabbing it for peaks above 6000'........

Images

Heading down there in 2+ weeks, getting closer to Springer then Franconia Notch to Katahdin

Images

There are no views from the summit of Mt. Guyot. The peak is rather rounded and forested with fir trees. I did go to the top about 30 years ago. Last week I did a loop that passed by there. There is a small pile of stones and a faint path that appears to go toward the summit from the AT.

Images

Photo taken 9/9/2014 just south of Mt. Guyot.BigCreekLoop9.2014 100.jpg

Images

I'm only less than an hour's drive and no longer go there. Too many hikers there now and Rangers. I hiked several hundred miles there in the 80's and I'll let others have my reservation....
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    not that ive been there but i think you'll find the summit of guyot to be dissappointing.....

other than grabbing it for peaks above 6000'........
    Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    There are no views from the summit of Mt. Guyot. The peak is rather rounded and forested with fir trees. I did go to the top about 30 years ago. Last week I did a loop that passed by there. There is a small pile of stones and a faint path that appears to go toward the summit from the AT.
    You don't go to Guyot for the views... you go for the bragging rights... highest peak east of the Mississippi with no trail to its summit. The fact that it is also located in one of the most remote sections of the park means that not many people tag this summit.

BTW, when I was walking by and looking for an entrance to climb the mountain, I didn't find any stone piles or anything that looked like a faint path. If any one has specifics on where to find this supposed path, it would be nice to know.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 09-17-2014 at 22:59.

Ray's Weather. Ray knows the mountains.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The day before you leave check out the weather center and Local Yocal weather .com that will give you good idea what to expect everything else is just speculation no one knows what the weather will be like a month from now.
    with my experience of hiking in the smokies in wintery conditions my best guess would be Cold and wet.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    You don't go to Guyot for the views... you go for the bragging rights... highest peak east of the Mississippi with no trail to its summit. The fact that it is also located in one of the most remote sections of the park means that not many people tag this summit.

BTW, when I was walking by and looking for an entrance to climb the mountain, I didn't find any stone piles or anything that looked like a faint path. If any one has specifics on where to find this supposed path, it would be nice to know.
    Well, I wouldn't say Mt. Guyot is remote necessarily. Heck, you can see it from I-40 and thousands of hikers walk along its shoulder every year. Few people do make the torturous journey up to the summit though. I've looked up that way several times for an easy way to the top and it doesn't exist. My GPS even shows a turn off for "Mt Guyot Spur", but it's not there anymore if it ever was.

As far as fall foliage goes, it is slightly different every year depending on how early/late fall arrives, but a good safe bet is anytime between Oct. 20th-30th. You can check out the Smokies webcams to give you an idea of how/when the leaves are changing.

www.nps.gov/grsm/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

Ryan
    Last edited by Violent Green; 09-22-2014 at 21:34.

Thanks for the all help all.

Going to Guyot for bragging rights mostly b/c it's Bushwack from the AT. I have a general idea of where the summit is from between Snake trail and the closest shelter.

I will be in this area soon and was thinking about trying to find the trail to the summit. I have been through here once, heading SOBO, but will be heading NOBO this time. Any tips for locating it?
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

Any tips for locating it?

the only tip i can give is good luck.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++