WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pasta Sides

Freezer bags are supposed to be microwave safe. If they are microwave safe, it seems fine to put boiling water in them and let sit. That being said, I don't use freezer bags for cooking since I haven't ever had trouble cleaning out my Jetboil, at least sufficient for my standards on the trail - meaning I don't worry about getting it perfectly clean. Reason being that when I boil water the next morning for breakfast, I let it boil a bit longer which in theory should sanitize the pot before I eat from it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    I do quite a bit of "freezer bag cooking" and have used various brands. The key is to get freezer bags and not storage bags. Quart-sized bags work well. Ziploc sells some now that have flat bottoms.

Trailcooking has some information about the safety aspect.

My favorite is "Thanksgiving dinner" - some instant mashed potatoes, instant gravy, instant stuffing, and some canned meat. For weekend trips I will prep the ziploc bags ahead of time (adding all the dry ingredients). On the trail I add the meat to the bag, add boiling water, and let sit for 5-10 minutes. It is a little more expensive than some other freezer bag recipes (Lipton sides, for example), but I recently priced it out with some friends on my last trip. They bought a $10 Mountain House meal. My ingredients cost about the same, but I was able to get 3-4 meals out of it. Had I left meat out the price per meal would have been about $2.

How much of each do u put in each bag per meal? I assume u don't buy individual packets if potatoes etc...they sell turkey in a pouch like tuna?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Do not like the "pasta" sides - they always taste funny on the Trail for some reason. I WILL use the "rice" sides - love these. A small can of chicken or pouch of Spam added and I'm good to go.

If you don't like paying full price for single MH meals: http://www.theepicenter.com/ : has sales on #10 cans every now and then. I have a few of the pasta primavera and others to divide up into ziploc brand freezer bags in 2016. Hurrican prep until I'm hiking.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I tried using an off-brand freezer bag exactly once. The seams burst when I poured the boiling water in. I was able mostly to rescue the meal by dumping back in the pot immediately, because the Reflectix cozy contained almost all the liquid, but it wasn't a pleasant experience. Given this experience, I'm not about to try storage bags.
    Can't beat that logic.

My solution to the gloppy mess of the pasta sides is to stir them a couple of times during the cooking/rehydration process. This seems to help. Another thing is that I use the recommended amount of water. I don't mind if it is a bit soupy and this could also contribute to my not having the sticking problems many of you seem to have. I have also found that the spirals and the shells seem not to stick as much as the long noodles. But, once again, I stir them a few times to prevent sticking.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Knorr's Mexican rice side, pack of chicken, hot sauce or salsa verde (packs from Taco "H"ell) on a tortilla makes a fine meal. Actually makes more than I can eat in one sitting so I repackage prior to leaving.

One of my favorite home packaged meals is cuscus, sun dried tomatoes, dehydrated green olives, crushed red pepper flakes, dehydrated trout with a little olive oil....yum.

Since I broke away from the Knorr's sides topic...my favorite lunch is...pack of chicken, add tarragon, sliced almonds, two packs of self stable mayo, pack of lemon juice and a dash of hot sauce.. Chicken salad, spread on crackers.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Knorr's Mexican rice side, pack of chicken, hot sauce or salsa verde (packs from Taco "H"ell) on a tortilla makes a fine meal. Actually makes more than I can eat in one sitting so I repackage prior to leaving.

One of my favorite home packaged meals is cuscus, sun dried tomatoes, dehydrated green olives, crushed red pepper flakes, dehydrated trout with a little olive oil....yum.

Since I broke away from the Knorr's sides topic...my favorite lunch is...pack of chicken, add tarragon, sliced almonds, two packs of self stable mayo, pack of lemon juice and a dash of hot sauce.. Chicken salad, spread on crackers.
    Damn another goody...can't wait to try this and the thanksgiving meal!! Thx

I always carry a small amount of instant mashed potatoes to add if my FBC meal is soupy. Thickens it up without adding flavor. Instant refried beans (or dehydrated) work the same way.

I have been doing it long enough that I eyeball the amounts of dry ingredients.

If I had to guess here at work, I would say:
    2/3 cup instant mashed potatoes
    2/3 cup instant stuffing
    1/2 package instant gravy mix
    1 can or package chicken or turkey

That is probably on the conservative side, so it could be up to a cup of potatoes and stuffing.

I try to match the gravy flavor and stuffing flavor to the meat (so turkey stuffing and turkey gravy if I am doing turkey)

They sell both canned turkey, canned chicken, and sometimes you can find vacuum packed chicken. They should be in most grocery stores right next to the canned tuna. Do not make the mistake I made on one trip - I bought a can of turkey and then forgot to bring anything to open the can with.

I have done something similar to swisscross's couscous dish. Couscous, sundried tomatoes, and whatever meat I can find.

I usually carry some soy protein powder with me and add that to most things I make (oatmeal, dinner, etc.) That tends to thicken things up fairly quickly and easily.

Now I am getting hungry.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Breadcrumbs work pretty well as a thickening agent - either purchased as breadcrumbs or (my preference) by buying croutons and crushing the amount needed to make the appropriate amount of thickening agent.

all good ideas as thickeners, thanks.

...from the one who never measures.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    all good ideas as thickeners, thanks.

...from the one who never measures.
    PS, I never know if I'm having soup or stew for dinner, but I like em both so....

Thanks everyone!!! There are some amazing ideas here. I will put some of them to use next weekend!

Journal Entries

Pasta sides really don't cook in freezer bag cooking. They come out pasty. They really need to be cooked to come out good . I've eaten plenty that weren't.

Preparing your own meals using either instant rice, or ramen noodles, is the key to eating good with fbc. Or dehydrating. Both have been precooked and dehydrated and do good in fbc. Texture is important to palatability.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    I have been doing it long enough that I eyeball the amounts of dry ingredients.

If I had to guess here at work, I would say:
    2/3 cup instant mashed potatoes
    2/3 cup instant stuffing
    1/2 package instant gravy mix
    1 can or package chicken or turkey
    You can toss in a half handful of dried cranberries too for Thanksgiving.

Images

Simple trick I use for Knorr pasta/rice meals:

Bring a block of sharp cheddar cheese (which lasts up to a week without refrigeration), cut up about 2-3 ounces into small chunks, and melt it into your cooked pasta or rice. There are a few flavors (e.g. beans and rice) that aren't very good this way, but most are MUCH better w/ cheese. IMO, better than any MH meals and a fraction of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Simple trick I use for Knorr pasta/rice meals:

Bring a block of sharp cheddar cheese (which lasts up to a week without refrigeration), cut up about 2-3 ounces into small chunks, and melt it into your cooked pasta or rice. There are a few flavors (e.g. beans and rice) that aren't very good this way, but most are MUCH better w/ cheese. IMO, better than any MH meals and a fraction of the price.
    It will keep after being in refer?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    It will keep after being in refer?

Yes. Good sharp cheddar keeps very well on the trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thx I love sharp chedder

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Something I learnt quite recently. Hard cheese sweat less if you wrap them in wax paper and then loosely in plastic wrap than if you have them in a Ziploc. You have to keep flies and mites off them, but they actually travel better exposed to a little bit of air. Who knew?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I don't do any real washing of my pot, and I don't do freezer bag cooking, and I do use the Knorr's Pasta and Rice Sides.

When I'm using my MRS Titan Kettle I heat the water to boiling, dump in the pasta or rice, stir, put the lid on, and wrap with my balaclava or some type of cozy to keep it as hot as possible. Usually I'll stir again in about 5 minutes. I let it soak maybe 12 minutes depending on how hydrated it is when I check.

I then eat my meal, scrape out my container, lick my spoon and call it good. Next meal both my container and spoon contact boiling water so I'm not worried that it wasn't cleaned perfectly last time.

I think this whole method is very common amongst thru-hikers, and Knorr's are, needless to say, a staple.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++