WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default weather Mid Oct. US19-Erwin

Hello to all,

I was planning on doing some hiking from US19 to Erwin. Can anyone tell what the weather is usually like in Mid Oct? Or can you tell me where to find a reliable source.

Any information is greatly appreciated and very welcome, plus I appreciate having a lighter pack!!

Thank you,

Floyd

Images

Since you will be going over Roan Mtn @ 6200ft+, it will be possible to get into the upper 30s at night. Days can still be cool ,50-60s too. It may be sunny and warm or cloudy and rain. I once went over Unaka Mtn on 10-4 in almost a foot of snow. The weather is subject to change with a front moving through but a check of local weather a few days before your trip should give you an idea of what to expect......
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

I figured I would keep an eye on mountainforcast.com, and a couple other places. I'm not certain if that site is very accurate or not. I realize weather in the mountains can change on a dime, but if I have a better idea of what the yearly average, or what others have experienced in the past, that would be helpful.

I will definitly pack warmer clothes, and keep an eye on the weather beforehand.

Is there still a drought in the area?

Any information helps

Thanks,
    Floyd

Not sure on the elevation differences. I was there in May and it got into the 40s (estimate) at night.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...?climoMonth=10

Images

It's been dry in some East TN valley areas, but the mountains have been getting plenty of rain....
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Default Ray's Weather

Keep an eye on Ray's Weather at www.raysweather.com. They offer highly localized forecasts for the Blue Ridge in NC, including forecasts for Ashe, Watauga, Avery, Mitchell, and Yancey counties (which your US 19 to Erwin section will be within or along the border on the TN side of all the way). Ray's is very elevation-specific, and I have found their localized forecasting over in Watauga and Avery counties to be excellent for the last several years.

AO

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alleghanian Orogeny View Post
    Keep an eye on Ray's Weather at www.raysweather.com. They offer highly localized forecasts for the Blue Ridge in NC, including forecasts for Ashe, Watauga, Avery, Mitchell, and Yancey counties (which your US 19 to Erwin section will be within or along the border on the TN side of all the way). Ray's is very elevation-specific, and I have found their localized forecasting over in Watauga and Avery counties to be excellent for the last several years.

AO
    +1 on Raysweather. Click on Avery County and look at the forecast for Beech Mtn. before you go and it should be very similar to the Roan Highlands. October up there could definitely be cold but could be really nice too. You just don't know until you go.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Hey thanks folks.

I have used Rays weather before for forcasts in Piscah and other places, very accurate, or as accurate as you can be in the area. Thank you for all the information. Nothing is better than first hand accounts. Looks like I may need to get a couple of small peices of clothing.

I really am looking forward to this. I need this trip badly.......

Thank you again for the wonderful info.

Best,
    Floyd

BTW,
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 697 miles and counting!

That really makes me smile..... I really get it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    BTW,
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 697 miles and counting!

That really makes me smile..... I really get it.
    Hopefully in won't end up taking quite that long. Two weeks from tomorrow I will return from my next trip and change that tag line to 821 miles and counting
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

++ New Posts ++