WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Recommendations Please for Lodging to Lodging Hiking Trails

Hello Everyone,

I enjoy hiking alone but next summer I am determined to have my wife join me for a hike. The problem: 'running water' at the end of everyday is her non-negotiable requirement. Hot showers on most nights preferred. Go figure. So I am looking for suggestions for fun/scenic hiking options that go inn to inn, hut to hut, B&B to B&B or whatever.

The parameters of the trip...
    Can be anywhere in the world.
    Wife can only take two weeks off in August so about a 10 day hike would be about right taking in account travel time.
    Hike can be moderately strenuous.
    We enjoy scenery, history, good food and trying new things.

The Camino de Santiago is an obvious choice. I have been considering the 'Portuguese Way' from Porto or the 'English Way' as options. My wife is definitely excited about the idea of a Pilgrimage and enjoying the small Spanish villages along the way. However, I am very concerned about my fair skinned Irish bride melting in the heat and sun of August in Spain. She does not do well in the heat.

So I am looking for additional ideas and suggestions. I would especially like to hear from people who have done a hike like this.

Thanks,
    Scott

SNP has day to day lodges im pretty certain. You could also do a out and back for however long you would like and stay at hostels along the trail
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Britain has many trails with daily lodgings. I have not been, yet.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I have been Googling some of the options in England & Scotland Feral Bill, they look interesting. Still open to any other suggestions people may have.

Mrs. Baggins has traveled the UK pretty extensively, give her a shout out.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Define "running water" and "hot showers"....

The Coastal Path in southern England. My wife and I did day hikes on it about 10 years ago. She loved it. Fabulous views, good food, good eats and good people every day. Another couple we know did a long hike on it, partly based on our recommedation, and had a great time. If you go the whole length it's 300+ miles. Runs along the coast of Devon and Cornwall, sometimes at sea level, occasionally through towns or villages, sometimes (often) on high cliffs several hundred feet above the sea. But probably no more than 1000' total vertical on a really hard day. Mostly well graded, moderately fit people should easily do 2+ mph on most of it.

A couple I know did a hike across England and loved it. The Camino would definitely be too hot in August, most hike it in the spring.

It might be possible to do a Long Trail hike going B+B to B+B, but you'd have to arrange for a lot of shuttles.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If anywhere in the world is the criteria and nightly lodging/showers is required, I would suggest the Swiss Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt. I planned out, but ultimately did not go on, this trip but I know that I will someday. There are lodging possibilities each night ranging from very basic dorms to nice hotels, except in some places where the lodging is mountain huts. It is not a cheap trip nor is it really a wilderness trip in my view, since there is no camping involved and that's why I ultimately chose to do something else. However, the scenery looks to be amazing and one day I will walk this path.

Here's a book I purchased for the hike which I recommend, even though it is slightly outdated:

http://www.amazon.com/Chamonix-Zerma.../dp/1852845139
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I've done 3 inn-to-inn self-guided walks in Ireland - I suspect your wife would like it immensely, especially when the town features traditional Irish music in the pubs. My favorite was the Dingel Peninsula.

I believe there are outfitters who can arrange inn-to-inn on the Long Trail but it will cost big $$$.

I don't see how Shenandoah NP works unless you arrange shuttling. The South District is 45 miles with no lodging option. Your 10 day hike doesn't work there.
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 09-21-2014 at 10:54.

Try the High Sierra Camps in Yosemite Nat'l Park. Hard to get those slots, however. Lottery that is hard to land. You stay in large, cabin tents. Each day, they feed you a scrumptious breakfast. They give you a sack lunch to get your to your next High Sierra Camp (7 - 10 miles away). They feed your a delicious dinner. Running water. Most have showers (dependent on natural water sources). You can opt for self-guided (cheaper) or Ranger-led treks. Typically, 5 - 7 days. My wife & I did a Ranger-led trek in 09. Bring your wallet. Not cheap.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/high-sierra-camps.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    Try the High Sierra Camps in Yosemite Nat'l Park. Hard to get those slots, however. Lottery that is hard to land. You stay in large, cabin tents. Each day, they feed you a scrumptious breakfast. They give you a sack lunch to get your to your next High Sierra Camp (7 - 10 miles away). They feed your a delicious dinner. Running water. Most have showers (dependent on natural water sources). You can opt for self-guided (cheaper) or Ranger-led treks. Typically, 5 - 7 days. My wife & I did a Ranger-led trek in 09. Bring your wallet. Not cheap.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/high-sierra-camps.aspx
    Also if you choose this option, give yourself extra time to acclimate.

Images

Thank you for all the suggestions. There are some great ideas here and I will now do some research to see what will work best.

Images

The Hiker's Haute Route is on our bucket list. Just looks absolutely fantastic.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

A one week option near by is Maine Huts and Trail system. Currently they have four huts with private and/or small bunk rooms. Hot showers, underfloor heating during cold conditions. The cook breakfast and dinner and I think they will pack a lunch. Its mostly valley hiking. All the huts are new within ten years and were designed by architects,far nicer than AMC huts.

A lot of national parks have accommodations you can "base camp" at and do day hikes or overnights from. For example, I'd like do some hiking in Colorado, but thru hiking something like the CT would be a bit too much for me. So, I'm thinking that spending a few weeks exploring the Rocky Mountain NP might be a good way to go.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++