WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Default ATKO at Amicalola Falls

Wanted to find out if anyone else going to the ATKO would be interested in sharing a cabin or room at the lodge. I am planning to be there from March 5th - 9th. The cottages are running 800 with taxes for a 4 night stay and rooms are running 600 for 2 double beds or 720 for suite with 1 king and a pullout. Meant to do this sooner as it looks like they are starting to fill up.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Color me sticker-shocked! :O
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    Color me sticker-shocked! :O
    Yeah, me too! I'm going to call and see if they are planning to offer a special rate to thru-hikers since that is what the whole event seems to be aimed at. I was planning to go it alone until I saw the rates. May reconsider where I am going to stay or cut short the time I spent at the Kick-Off
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

I'd jump in with you to ease the pain, but my start date is not nailed down yet, and I'd hate to commit noncommittally.

We're down to (roughly) the six month point, and most all of the Class of 2014 have failed or finished. It's time for the Class of 2015. Things will be getting serious from here on out.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    I'd jump in with you to ease the pain, but my start date is not nailed down yet, and I'd hate to commit noncommittally.

We're down to (roughly) the six month point, and most all of the Class of 2014 have failed or finished. It's time for the Class of 2015. Things will be getting serious from here on out.
    Thanks Danger! It is kind of you to even consider it. I could always just jump in with the camping thing and camp out. I think they have some spots just for thru-hikers that are free and others that would end running 125 for the 4 nights. Guess I was just looking for a few more days of creature comforts. Strange though, once I am out there I don't miss it.

Yeah, I am starting to get real antsy. Checking and rechecking gear. Working to do shake-downs when I can. Fine-tuning and retuning. Goodness, could it just be March already!?!

I'm new to long distance hiking, so all of my gear is coming in the mail, the last of it this weekend. I'm anxious to sleep in my tent in my back woods to try it out. Then, a few overnights away from home in the Shawnee Wilderness in southern Ohio. The hills there are called the "Little Smokies". Next month, when I have a few vacation days scheduled, I'm hitting the forty mile Wilderness Trail loop (same area) for the final Fall shakedown. Then it'll be sit and twiddle my thumbs until March.

Oh, there is retirement! That comes in January. Can't forget about that! The Chief will expect me not to be there starting next year.

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    Wanted to find out if anyone else going to the ATKO would be interested in sharing a cabin or room at the lodge. I am planning to be there from March 5th - 9th. The cottages are running 800 with taxes for a 4 night stay and rooms are running 600 for 2 double beds or 720 for suite with 1 king and a pullout. Meant to do this sooner as it looks like they are starting to fill up.
    pitch a tent

Images

The kickoff is a great event and I encourage you to attend.

If you need motel type accomodations, the lodge is quite nice. You really only need to make reservations for Friday and Saturday nights. The event winds down Sunday afternoon.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The kickoff is a great event and I encourage you to attend.

If you need motel type accomodations, the lodge is quite nice. You really only need to make reservations for Friday and Saturday nights. The event winds down Sunday afternoon.
    Thanks Jeff. Ever since I found out about the ATKO I have seen it as part of the whole package - like doing the approach trail - and hate the thought of changing my itinerary but after seeing the prices I started considering cutting my stay and heading out on the 8th instead if the 9th.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    pitch a tent
    I may just choose to do that!

IMO, the "Kick Off" is scheduled too early in the season, and encourages early season starts. While it's reasonable to start in early March, you're almost guaranteed on losing days to cold and snow, spending more time and money in town than needed. Anytime between March 21 and April 1, would be better suited weatherwise, with plenty of time to make Maine. Those determined to start early could easily find a ride back to the KO is desired.

Not part of the Class of 2015, but hoping to get my son out there for a few miles this summer. In case anyone hasn't been, I've camped at Amicalola Falls before (north of the falls/lodge) and found it to be a great campground...creature comforts like laundry area etc. Just wanted to put that out there who might need this option. (Prices sound steep!)
    Good luck, and happy Trail everyone!

I'm not going for the kick off but my family is coming with me to see me off a few weeks after that. We just booked our reservations and decided to compromise with a campsite for a few nights and then a cottage for the last night. That way they can get cleaned up before they get on a plane back home and I can start the trail fresh. Don't know if this helps but they didn't charge a deposit or anything when I made the reservation so whatever you decide on, you've got some time to save up the money for it too.

I love Dahlonega, GA and Amicalola Falls State Park, wish I lived closer. Do they have the schedule out yet?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    I love Dahlonega, GA and Amicalola Falls State Park, wish I lived closer. Do they have the schedule out yet?
    All I know so far is it is the 6th-8th. If I hear or see something I'll let you all know.

Journal Entries

DaisyStorm and cats.dont.camp - thank you so much pointing out some of the alternate approaches for my stay. Sometime you can't see the forest for the trees and it helps to have a different perspective .

Trees? What trees?

I was originally considering the ATKO but agree that it is to early in Mar. and after seeing those prices, I will pass. So its the 17th of Mar.

Regards,
    Hazmat

Images

Price should not be an issue. The majority of hikers campout for the ATKO.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I'm just not interested in starting quite that early. I'm more with Hazmat around the middle of March. Of course, we're really only talking about a week difference, so...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++