WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dog Memorial on AT?

How would you folks feel if you hiked up to say...the top of Big Hump and stumbled upon a Memorial Stone of a passed away hiker dog? (Ashes barried under it). Would you feel that this would be innapropriate? Im not sure is it would even be "Legal".

inched_marker_lrg.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I personally wouldn't care, but you have to remember that when you do something like this, you over step your bounds and others may follow suit, then the trail becomes a pet cemetery over the years. Not that your not likely walkin' over burial grounds all along the trail anyway. But it's not your land to decide to do with it as you please. But if nobody knew about it...meh

Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Leave No Trace
    When shall we begin removing the shelters, signs, blazes and memorials? lol

I see how my idea could be perceived as selfish, and how if everyone put a gravestone for their pet on the trail that is would become somewhat annoying to see. What if there were a common area at one spot of the AT, like a designated field or mountaintop where people were known to spread ashes?

Images

from the ATC website...

Scattering of human ashes (memorialization) on NPS lands is prohibited without a special permit from the NPS director.
    The installation of any monument, memorial, tablet, structure or other commemorative along the A.T. or in the A.T. corridor is prohibited without authorization by the NPS.

Spread where u want..... Just don't put up a memorial sign etc...make a small natural rock pile that only u noes about... Keep it natural so doesn't take away from the natural beauty..just my 2 cents!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that solves that lol

But wardy is not a human, therefor I could scatter him with no memorial and it seems that it would be alright

There's a dog grave stone on the way up Mt Albert in NC and I remember seeing others. There are several deceased hiker memorials scattered along the trail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

i agree Saltysack, i plan on thruhiking someday with my dogs ashes, and when i feel the time is right i will probably spread her ashes
    the memorial stone will probably be removed very soon by a trail maintainer or somebody
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 09-19-2014 at 17:46.

Images

Very similar incident involving a grave marker/memorial for a human. Stumbled across a stone memorial 22" tall a few summers ago in Shenandoah Nat'l Park of a teenager who had recently ended his life. I alerted the proper authorities to get rid of the memorial which was within a short walk of an overlook along the Skyline Drive.

As it was explained to me, spreading of ashes in the park with proper notice would have been perfectly legal, just not an inscribed memorial of the deceased.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

I wouldn't have an issue with it. What a great memorial to your best friend.

Images

It's hard to comment on this issue without feeling disrespectful, but I think ultimately spreading the ashes and leaving it at that would probably give you the most closure. Really sucks about your dog. I have an older hiking buddy and his hips are starting to get pretty fragile. Maybe you could put the memorial along the route of his favorite walk? Or your backyard, if your have one?

Journal Entries

As a long time hike leader hike organizer the complaint I have most often experienced with dogs on the trail is the owner imposing their dog on others who did not ask for it nor want it - Dogs are too social for some people and will impose themselves naturally on other people, this is what they do and that is invasive in human terms, I do feel what you are suggesting also may be such taken. Owners who feel it is their right to do so have had me look very unfavorably at dogs on the trail and I generally have a automatically negative view due to this expectation of imposition of a dog on others. With this said I have met a few dogs that have amazed me and I have to keep in mind that not all dogs or owners are the same.

But also is it really appropriate? The hike is yours not your dogs, you dog is just there because you are. I even know a AT dog who got a thru hiker owner along his thru. Seeing the relationship the dog is the owners, the trail was just the delivery method. It is the person's dog, not the trail's.

With all that said a proper dog memorial park in a set location along the trail seems fine, but just maverick'ing your own memorial seems to again be imposing your pet on others who may not desire that imposition.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post

With all that said a proper dog memorial park in a set location along the trail seems fine, but just maverick'ing your own memorial seems to again be imposing your pet on others who may not desire that imposition.
    Sorry for my intrusion on this forum without at least leaving a comment on the subject being discussed. I do agree with Starchild and others suggesting a memorial park for dogs.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

What exactly is the purpose of a memorial? Is it for you? others?

I want my ashes spread at Elizabeth Lake in GNP. No marker, just where I want to be laid to rest.

Journal Entries

If your friend was a hiker dog I have no problem with you spreading ashes anywhere you desire; however, that said, spreading of ashes does not require a monument or a memorial. As a former trail maintainer on the AT, I always thought Panther Gap, between Siler Bald and Winding Stair Gap, would be a lovely place for ashes to be spread. My Spouse, several family members and Trail Maintainers are in agreement with my choice, sunrise in the morning, sunset in the evening. Life is good!

I don't like the idea of memorials on the trail for pets or humans. Give people an inch and they will eventually take 2,000 miles. Spreading ashes, however, is something I don't have a problem with.

My dog isnt dead lol...just thinking in the future folka sorry for the misunderstanding

Maybe someone who has property right close to the trail could start a memorial park for pets? for people ?
    I see your point but keep it contained.
    I basically agree with Starchild, don't clutter the trail with your personal stuff.
    I'll share the trail with you. I won't share your dog with you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++