WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: socks

Question socks

I was wondering about socks... For those of you that wear trail or hiking shoes (not boots), what height socks do you wear? Do you wear taller socks to protect your ankles and lower legs or ankle socks? It looks like wool socks are best, but what are other preferences and why?

I wear low cut boots, but prefer the comfort of the tall wool socks.

Images

hiking in what temps? in winter i like snow boarding socks.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries

I prefer ankle socks that cover the ankle. I wear running type low cut now and then . Walking in single-track ruts, sometimes one shoe will scrape the other ankle. Without a sock covering it, it scrapes it raw. Doesnt apply if wearing long pants or gaiters obviously.

Even in Australia we have heard of the Darn Tough socks from Vermont. They also have a life time guarantee, if they wear out you send them back and get a replacement, no questions asked.

For trail runners/hiking shoes I use http://darntough.com/men/mens-hike-t...4-sock-cushion

For mid boots there is a huge range depending on how thick you want the sock. http://darntough.com/men/mens-hike-trek

And for females they have other socks in prettier colours - http://darntough.com/women/womens-hike-trek
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

http://darntough.com/men/mens-hike-t...o-crew-cushion

What else but the Darn Tough ATC sock

Thanks everyone! Muddy Waters, I think that was my point in asking... scraping my ankles with my shoes when my legs grow tired. I'm a bit clumsy anyways. I think that is great advice. Also, I just took a look at the Darn Tough socks, and it looks like there are a variety of styles to choose from.

While on the AT, how many pairs of socks do you keep with you? I was thinking that it would be something like a low crew sock for hot days, a taller crew sock for cold days or night time, and then maybe a liner type sock.

Check out Wrightsocks at wrightsock.com
    I have just started working with them. They are well known in running; especially Ultra runners.
    They have Blister Free Guarantee.
    Check them out. Wear out your socks, not your feet.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Images

I wear trail runners and I use Darn Tough ankle cut. Love them
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

I wear a pair of Injinji sock liners and then darn tough socks over them. Long walks I usually have 2 pair, 1 on, 1 dry spare. If I know it's going to be wet or very cold I carry another pair solely for at night.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elder View Post
    Check out Wrightsocks at wrightsock.com
    I have just started working with them. They are well known in running; especially Ultra runners.
    They have Blister Free Guarantee.
    Check them out. Wear out your socks, not your feet.
    I used to love wrightsocks but I find the quality just isn't there anymore - at least now the ones I was using. The first pairs I bought lasted a really long time with little signs of wear. The last ones I bought practically fell apart and the merino wool ones I bought, the ball of the sock rubbed thread-bare in a very short time.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    I wear trail runners and I use Darn Tough ankle cut. Love them
    That's my lineup along with sock liners
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Not much use for the OP but for those near VT, Darn Tuff has an annual sale at the factory in mid November. Folks from all over VT and northern New England line up for hours. Most socks are at least 50% off and seconds are far less. They make a line of socks for the US military that has a slightly higher acrylic content, a bag of six pairs of seconds can end up being less than $12. Same guarantee applies. They don't advertise it heavily, its always on the first two weekends of hunting season in VT

I still have a bag leftover from last year and they last for years so I think I am set for the next ten years.

Section Hiker

This is my not-too-cold wear with trail runners sock (Injinji) and I love them:
    http://www.footsmart.com/P-Injinji-M...air-62044.aspx

Winter: Injinji toe liners and Darn Tough taller wool sock.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

These: http://www.smartwool.com/socks/run/m...ini-socks.html

Really, really light - no cushion on the bottom. I'd like to get an equivalent from Darn Tough, but I haven't found one as uncushioned.

Best pair of socks I ever had was from a company called Fits - www.fitssock.com

I started with rag wool socks, went on to Thor-los, then Smartwool and thought I was in love with DarnTough. Then an outfitter recommended Fits socks, made in Tennessee. I use the marino wool light hiker quarter socks with trial runners. I've found them wonderfully comfortable, quick drying, and they seem to hold their shape and cushioning on repeated days use, even better than DarnTough, which is an audacious statement given how good DarnTough socks are.

Like jjozgrunt I wear injinji socks with a thicker pair over the top. Never had a blister & when my legs are tired, my feet want to carry on.

I have been trying out the double sock set up the last two weekends with my Oboz's Sawtooths and the setup seems to work pretty good. No blisters and my feet stayed pretty cool.

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Journal Entries

I use a light weight silk liner sock with Darn Tough ATC socks.

Buckeye Bill
    Blackheart

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I've gotten to where I just wear thin liners during warm weather. They're cheap and dry fast and I don't feel bad throwing them away because they cost $24.99 a pair.

In cold weather I wear low cut, lightweight hiking socks. Never, ever anything mid or heavy weight because they take forever to dry and when they get wet they keep my shoes wet longer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++