WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by masonormous View Post
    I thought about this for a long while. But I believe It will be easier to do this at my current position. No major job, No car payment, no rent... The less financial obligations I have, the easier it will be to save up, and hit the trail.
    WOW, maybe this is the problem! I am assuming that you have no rent because you are living at home. You have no rent because your mom is subsidizing your existence. Maybe, she is dreaming of the day where she no longer has to do that and you going on a multi month vacation before you are able to support yourself is rather irresponsible IF you are planning to go back home and have your mom subsidize your living. I really get a kick out of entitled kids who think living at home is free. Maybe free for them but not free.

Now, if you are in a position to support yourself post hike then her concerns about responsiblity are not your concern.
    Last edited by Malto; 09-21-2014 at 20:30.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    WOW, maybe this is the problem! I am assuming that you have no rent because you are living at home. You have no rent because your mom is subsidizing your existence. Maybe, she is dreaming of the day where she no longer has to do that and you going on a multi month vacation before you are able to support yourself is rather irresponsible IF you are planning to go back home and have your mom subsidize your living. I really get a kick out of entitled kids who think living at home is free. Maybe free for them but not free.

Now, if you are in a position to support yourself post hike then her concerns about responsiblity are not your concern.
    PS. If you were my kid then your stuff would be in boxes upon your return.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    PS. If you were my kid then your stuff would be in boxes upon your return.

Hello everyone! I am in the early stages of planning a NOBO thru anywhere from April to May of 2015. This is my first post, and will surely not be the last. Now with the purpose of the post...

I am 19, and will be 20 when I (Hopefully) hit the trail. I live with my mom and step-dad, and recently told her about my potential plans to do the AT. She seemed very disapproving of the journey... Thinking it irresponsible to leave my job, and everything else behind. While I understand her concerns, I still would like for her to be more accepting to the decision. By no means will her approval determine whether or not I will be doing the journey, nor am I seeking her approval, I just think it would make it easier on both of us to be on semi-level terms. So far our conversations lead to frustration on my end, and mostly un-needed advice from her... i.e. "you're gonna have to pay your bills" "how do you think you can do this when you have only been backpacking for a week a couple of times" etc.

I don't expect her to understand my reason for doing this, because I do not completely understand myself... It is just something that has constantly been calling to me for the past few months. So I was hoping to gather some advice by some people who are much more experienced in this subject, than I am myself. Any questions, concerns, criticism, and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Ok, since you asked.

...I tell every young person to stay at home as long as they possibly can and take that time to save money...cause your gonna need it. If your living home (my house) your either in school and working part time, or working full time and saving money. I moved out at 19 and had three jobs at one time. If you need a vacation, that's on you, I'm sure your Mother would like a vacation too, most mothers would. now if your moms is ok with you going and doing that, then that's on her. I get your calling, it's part of the human condition, but that doesn't mean your entitled to it. good luck what ever you decide to do...sounds like your going.

You will not be in a better position to go on this trip than now. Or you could pass and wait 45 years. if you got 4k or 5k in the bank there is nothing stopping you. GO NOW

I thought about this for a long while. But I believe It will be easier to do this at my current position. No major job, No car payment, no rent... The less financial obligations I have, the easier it will be to save up, and hit the trail.
    But what about after the hike? Are you planning on just moving back in with mom?

You say your mom thinks you're being irresponsible...well, maybe she's on to something here

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    But what about after the hike? Are you planning on just moving back in with mom?

You say your mom thinks you're being irresponsible...well, maybe she's on to something here
    It is possible that Mom's concerns are not the one she has articulated.

How the hell would any of us know?

Biological dad is said to be supportive, and it's not like this kid is leaving a wife and new baby behind when he goes for a walk.

One can always make an argument (an a good one at that) not to do something.

The most irresponsible thing to do in life is let opportunities pass. Be kind, be smart, and accept the consequences of your decision.

Not it sure why everyone here is reacting why they are.

My son was 19 when he started his thru hike. My wife and I were supportive of his hike--at the time, the last thing he needed was to go to school; he needed to go out and do something on his own. One of the ways to help us stay connected (and worry a little less) was a phone call every so often--maybe once a week at times. Helped us keep track of where he was and it was reassuring to hear his voice and know how the hike was going (both good and bad). As my brother said, he left a boy and came back a man. And I also agreed this is probably the best time for you to go hike the AT--your age and few commitments the main reasons. Good luck on your hike masonormous.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    It is possible that Mom's concerns are not the one she has articulated.

How the hell would any of us know?

Biological dad is said to be supportive, and it's not like this kid is leaving a wife and new baby behind when he goes for a walk.

One can always make an argument (an a good one at that) not to do something.

The most irresponsible thing to do in life is let opportunities pass. Be kind, be smart, and accept the consequences of your decision.

Not it sure why everyone here is reacting why they are
    Yes, how the hell would any of us know.

I don't claim to know and no one else knows what's really going on and that's just an inherent fact when a stranger asks other stanger(s) of their opinion, regardless of how articulate they are.

I don't have an issue with him going on a hike and if his parent(s) are supporting him and they don't mind, then he's one lucky dude. However, they facts he laid out seems to indicate that his mother thinks he's being irresponsible. No one here knows why, but that's what the OP said; BTW, I find it interesting that the OP doesn't live with father, but the father is totally OK....

Seems to me this kid doesn't really have a grasp on responsibility, seeing how he lives with his mother and his own mother expresses her concerns, not over his safety, but his sense of responsibility.

BTW, Mom hasn't articuated her concerns -- he has -- that's all we got to go off. Yes, he's not leaving a kid and wife behind, but I haven't called him a total louse, I've been fairly measured in my response; to me, he just comes across as most kids that have yet to take on responsibilities in life, but not a bad person. I was young once and I can relate, when I think back at some of the dumb, naive things I thought and said. I also admit I may be totally off the mark, but I'm just going off the OP's info presented.

Whatever you do, DO NOT live your life based on parental fears.

I chickened out on some of the biggest endeavors of my 20s because my worrisome mother's anxiety would become downright overbearing. Now, at closer to 40, the best approach is to manage how I communicate with her about potentially worrisome things.

You know what might really help? Show her. During your current prep time, (and ideally before the upcoming daylight savings time change) invite your mother on an overnight hike. Figure out a nearby hiking/camping loop she can handle, scrounge around to outfit her with makeshift gear that will make her experience comfortable, and plan it down to the T. Map, meals, overlooks, potential overnight camp spots... plan out an excellent, albeit brief backpacking experience for her to share with you, and at least some of her fears will be calmed.

It sounds like discussing your trail exit strategy, and show her evidence that you have a plan to re-enter society/school/workforce afterwards, and other fears will also be assuaged.

You can tell people all you want, but nothing works like showing them.

My opinion is that young people with an interest in long hikes should go for it assuming that they have the financial means to do so. Too many things get in the way later in life. I hiked a small portion of the JMT in 1993 at age 19 in the summer before my junior year of college and I can't even recall the reason I didn't thru hike (I know it was vaguely related to wanting to save more money from my summer job) although I remember that I wanted to. Surely there would be time to do so later right? Well, I finally thru hiked the JMT 20 years later last summer and lots of guys my age would never be able to take that amount of time off. And when we're talking about a 4-5 month thru hike, the number of people between college age and retirement age who can do it is pretty small. So if the OP has the funds for the hike, I say go for it, and if there are parental concerns (which is normal), get a SPOT and check in daily. My parents are still concerned about me at age 41 and the SPOT is a huge help.

Parents will always worry about their children. When will they be become self-reliant? Will they be safe in their endeavors? Two years before my Mom passed away, I retired from my profession (Law Enforcement). She worried my entire career that she'd get a knock on the door in the middle of the night with some bad news. Moms (& Dads) worry. I have a step-son in Law Enforcement. My wife & I worry about him. That's just what parents do.

I can only assume that it is physically easier to thru-hike at a young age vs an older one. But, the older age hiker usually is in better financial circumstances to do a thru-hike. And trust me, it costs more money than you think to do a thru-hike.

Advice? Work multiple jobs and save as much money as possible (after paying your Mom some rent $). Start your hike a little later than normal & hike a lot faster than normal. Result? Takes less time, need less equipment, spend less money.

And remember, you're now technically an adult in almost all circumstances (except purchasing alcohol & firearms). I consider an adult as someone who is supporting themselves. Regardless of your age, if you're still relying on your parent's support, you are a kid. Work hard at becoming an adult & chase your dreams & passions.

Journal Entries

If you are dependent on parents for support, you just need to work it out with them.

Parental concerns regarding safety are easy to allay.

I think this will be one of the best times of your life. I am just finishing up the trail this year. I started with my daughter, she finished early because she needed to start school this fall.

I understand your mothers concerns. She should talk with other parents of kids who have done the trail. It is such a great opportunity for growth, increasing confidence and just getting away from everyday life.

I'm sure my daughter would chat with you if you would like to hear about her journey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since you are taking time off from college anyways...I'd tell your parents that you will learn more about budgeting money and time, and planning in general than you would be working an entry level job. You will be attempting something that is challenging, physically and mentally. You'll meet a wide range of people that you would not have gotten to know otherwise. You will have lots of time to think...about yourself...your future...everything else.

Write during your hike, consider it like a school assignment. Describe the Appalachians....do character sketches of the people you meet...write fiction based on the AT. You have a fantastic well spring of stimulation and experiences. Communicating and observing, people, and places is a great skill no matter what you do in the future.

Too often "people" think educational experiences are the only path to enlightenment and true education..wrong.

There is great value in you working now and saving your money for this. You are learning the value of work and money...it's one of the most important things young people need.

Given the choice of working in a minimum wage job before resuming a college education and hiking the AT (assuming you pay!)...there is no question
    that you will get more out of the AT.

Parent of three 20's...and I'd tell them this also. Doing something hard is always worthwhile...

I say if you're young and can take part in any adventure go for it. Most are only able to do this when they're young or old. By the time young kids grow go up people will be living well into they're 100's.

My best friend and I were sent of to Costa Rica 20+ years ago(BEFORE THE TOURISTS ARRIVED) during our summer break between junior an senior year of high school for 3 weeks. We trailblazed(bus rides) all over the country on our own looking for waves. All we had was a hotel the first night, bus ride to the beach, and a hotel for night at the beach and vise-versa on the way back. From then on it was up to us and those are three weeks I'll never forget! I think we talked to our parents once or twice each week when we could get a call out. This experience kept be traveling all over central and south america. Living weeks on a tiny island two hours boat ride from land with no phone and power for a few hours everyday.

The pure youthful joy of traveling at a young age alone is something that I can't reach in my middle ages. No matter how nice a trip it is! I do still get happy but the mind gets jaded with time.

Stay strong. Prove to her you can do it. May work a deal out if you can save money and show her its for the trip and your out buying stuff un-related to your trip you can gain her just. Maybe work a deal with your father to match the funds you save if he can. Maybe mom also.

You can read the rest of the post here.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...n-AT-thru-hike

You will learn a lot from it if you decide to go.
    We had to learn about traveling and dealing with customs, managing a very limited amount of funds and mostly used travelers checks. Many of the older traveling surfers took us under their wings when we where staying in small hotels, hostels, or make shift surf camps from some ex-pats. Learning to deal with corrupt cops over the years took some time. I wish I smelled like a thru hiker in those days. I would of come home with more clothes, more money, and a few watches given as bribes to just get away from them.

As I got little older and trips became less about myself and more about the experiences they got even better.

We visited more remote areas and I would just come home with a few items leaving almost everything to the super poor. Until you've lived in some little village surfing and the locals become your friends. Bring you into there little world. Which happens to be a 10 x 10 shack with no power for a family of 4.
    These are the experiences you really remember. Its the people. Yes I can remember the epic days of surfing but out of the 100's and 100's of days surfing I only really remember a few compared to the number of experiences with the people I meet.
    These are the things to do while your young.

Get out there and have fun!

Images

i have 4 children and parental concerns for all. some justified and others just being an over protective dad, but i don't have the same concerns for any two. because of their past experience i react different. if one asked for money i would just give it. another i would want a business plan, 5 year projection and a power point demo showing exactly how it will be used. is her concern reallthat you will become "Bear Grylls a British adventurer and writer who has a net worth of $10 million dollars"
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I guess we lost this youngster. Maybe he shouldn't hike the AT. Maybe his mom is right. I know my god-daughters are his age and they are on the internet all day. I wouldn't like to see posts in the missing hiker section looking for him only to find out he's partying in some town for a week or two. Just hope he doesn't get any poor thru-hikers in trouble for donating to his partying habits. Hopefully this doesn't happen but I think if I was going to do a thru-hike in the day and age I'd want to be 21. Maybe wait a year kid.

Hey Kid! Are you really serious about this hike????

Now none of this is fact and I'm just stating different scenarios. At least in other countries you just pay the cops off.

Journal Entries

If I was 18 to 21 again I'd hit the trail no matter what. Bet it could be done for less than $100. Health Insurance and other such matters are not something an 18 y/o should worry about.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++