WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hydration on hip belt?

Has anyone tried to put one of these on their hip belt?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411322276.830956.jpg

Or these?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411322345.154612.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by punchcard View Post

Or these?

I've tried various water bottle holders on my belt for day hikes, and always found that no matter where I put them, they interfered with my gait or arm swing. With a backpack, I mount two Gatorade bottles on my shoulder straps using thin bungee cords. The cords only weigh a few grams and don't find them to be a bother at all.

Images

I use a Platypus "Holster" attached to my shoulder strap with 2 small carabiners. It is easy to get off for a drink and the carabiners keep it from flopping around. It holds a 1 liter soft Platy bottle and it's not in the way when getting my pack off or on.006.JPG
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

I often carry a 20oz bottle of gatorate in a hipbelt holster to supplement my bladder of water. Most of my hiking is in dry areas where there are no streams or lakes to refill from, so I need to carry or cache all my water for a trip. However, even on the JMT, where there was water everywhere, I found I still liked sipping that bottle of gatorade throughout each day.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

I've never put water on my hipbelt. I have alternated between keeping water on my shoulder straps using the straps ULA provides for this purpose and keeping water in my side pockets. I've gravitated toward the side pockets since buying one of the zPacks shoulder pouches which I found extremely useful on my last hike. I'm probably going to buy a second shoulder pouch and keep water in my side pocket in the future. I can store two 1L smartwater bottles in the ULA circuit side pocket, more than enough for almost all situations.

So these are what is new? I guess my old army belt with two canteens would be considered old and moldy. Works okay for me when in the desert on a day hike. I do get some funny looks from time to time. Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Images

Haven't tried those but I many thousand miles with these.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds great. What are they?

Images

Sounds great. What are they?
    they were here super simple bottle pouches I made based on the pouches sold by I think Outdoor research. Instead of elastic I sewed in a cord and cord lock. I have a total of four each sized for a 32oz. Gatoraid bottle. Generally I carry two bottles and use the other two for food. Additionally, I have two small pouches on the front of my hipbelt for small items such as pills, lighter etc.

if you use pouches the key to to sew them firmly on the hipbelt and if using multiple on the side, to each other. I'm on my third generation and the main upgrade was sewing the bottom corner of the pouches together. This greatly reduces bounce and also keeps the hipbelt from twisting into a mess when you take your pack off.

this is a great beginners sewing project or you could use an existing product out there. I like that I was able to make them out of the same material as my pack, you wouldn't know they were part of the original pack.

Or these?

I haven't used those, but my last few trips out I have used the Nalgene Bottle Carrier Handheld for 32 Oz bottles. I ordered two from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I place them on my hip belt as far towards the back as possible. 32 oz Gatorade bottles fit in them very snugly! They do occasionally "travel" towards the front - but I don't find occasionally pushing them back to be much of a bother. As another poster said, sewing them on would eliminate that.

Oh, and they do not negatively affect my hiking which is good!

Kelly

That is a runner's water bottle carrier (1st picture). I own it & use it occasionally when I run. The water bottle (20 oz) is anatomically contoured to the small of your back. The 2nd picture is a smaller water bottle that is affixed to a waist belt. I think the volume is 12 oz.

When backpacking, I will carry two, 1L water bottles on my pack's waistbelt in a Janddt Mountaineering water bottle carrier. If water is plentiful, I'll only have water in one bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I've tried various water bottle holders on my belt for day hikes, and always found that no matter where I put them, they interfered with my gait or arm swing. With a backpack, I mount two Gatorade bottles on my shoulder straps using thin bungee cords. The cords only weigh a few grams and don't find them to be a bother at all.
    probably my favorite feature of the ULA Circuit are the built in bungees on the shoulder straps. Can have 3 liters at your disposal at all times if needed.

I'm a big fan of the gatorade bottles on the shoulder straps as well. Narrow enough to not interfere with arm swing, but plenty of capacity for most hiking. I'll typically toss a 2L platypus bottle into the pack during the summer for dry stretches. Only weighs an ounce and more than doubles my capacity when needed.

++ New Posts ++