WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New A.T. Film Showing this Fall

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy is showcasing a new A.T. film called "The Appalachian Trail: An American Legacy" as part of its fall membership drive. The film by Sam Heneger is about the trail itself and the extraordinary story of how it came to be. There is a lot of beautiful footage of the A.T. in all four seasons, historic footage, and interviews with a variety of people whose work it is to take care of and protect the A.T., as well as hikers.

At each showing there is a featured speaker beforehand. The events are intended to be a membership drive, to bring new supporters to the A.T. For those of you who are not ATC members, there's no better time to join. The price is a special discounted membership rate and you get to see the film too. If you're already a member and you want to see the film, then you'll need to buy a gift membership for someone else and keep the ticket for yourself. Membership materials are usually sent after the membership drive is over, before the year's end.

There's a special excitement about being in a theater full of A.T. enthusiasts. Or maybe that's just me. The only places you'll see as many A.T. people crammed together in a small space in the dark is at Trail Days and The ALDHA Gathering. It won't look the same (nor will it smell the same). Some of the people will be coming from work wearing clothes you'll never see on the A.T. A lot of the people are new to the A.T., but there are always some 2,000-milers and volunteers, old and new, sprinkled throughout the audience too.

You can buy tickets and find out more at www.relivetheat.com.

Here are the dates, locations, and speakers:

Washington, DC
    Thursday October 9, 2014
    Avalon Theatre
    from 8:00pm-10:00pm
    Guy Gardner "AstroGuy"
    Retired NASA Astronaut and 2014 A.T. Thru-hiker

Cincinnati, OH
    Thursday October 16, 2014
    Cintas Center at Xavier University
    from 7:00pm-9:00pm
    1624 Herald Avenue,
    Jesse Swensgard
    US Air Force Vet, Participant of the Walk Off The War & Warrior Program, 2014 A.T. Thru-Hiker

Carlisle, PA
    Thursday October 23, 2014
    The Carlisle Regional Performing Arts Center
    40 West High Street,
    Pam Underhill, Retired Superintendent of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail

Atlanta, GA
    Saturday October 25, 2014
    Academic Complex - Atlanta Technical College
    Susan Powell
    A.T. Thru-Hiker, Coordinator for Outdoor Recreation at UGA, Smokies Ridgerunner, GATC Member, Trail Maintainer, and Ultralight backpacking expert. You can read an interview with her while she talks about being a ridgerunner in an article about coolest outdoor jobs here.

Charlotte, NC
    Sunday October 26, 2014
    Blumenthal Performing Arts - McGlohon Theatre
    from 6:00pm-8:00pm
    Hayne Hipp, A.T. 2,000 Miler
    Gary Barrigar
    President of the Friends of Roan Mountain, Environmentalist, Outdoors Youth Advocate, and featured in the film "The Appalachian Trail: An American Legacy"

Laurie P.
    ATC

There are also lots of volunteer opportunities, if you're interested in spreading the word about this event or even helping out the day of one of the shows!

More info about volunteering is available here: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/prom...gacy/volunteer

- Anne

Ticket purchased, see you in DC!

Thanks, Overthinker!

If I weren't heading out on a section hike bright and early the next morning I would be attending the DC event also. Maybe next time.

Journal Entries
    Images

How can I see this film if I can't travel to these locations?
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

Good to know, Studlintsean. HighLiner, a DVD of the film will be available later this fall through ATC.

Hey everyone, if you'd like to save $5 off each ticket purchased, you can use the promo code WB14! That brings the cost down to $25. If you've been wanting to join the ATC, it's a great time to just go ahead and take the plunge and participate in a fun show!

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks. Love that trail!
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

Our goal for the membership drive/film showing is 2,185 new members - one for every mile of trail. We're up to 670 tickets sold to new members so far. In trail mileage, that means right up to Sinking Creek Valley, just a few miles south of the Keffer Oak.

Help us get to Katahdin!

If you're already a member, get a gift member for a penniless 2014 thru-hiker now so they'll automatically get the March/April issue of the magazine with their name in it (their name will be in if they report their hike completion to ATC before December 31).

I got my tickets today.
    For October 25 in Atlanta GA.

Images

Excited to see it, but too far away. So as an ATC member, I'll purchase it when it's available on DVD. Can't wait!

I really enjoyed this event last year -- can't wait until this year's, since it's an AT movie I haven't seen yet!

Laurie -- will you be at the DC screening?
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

is this movie gonna be available on DVD? if so i will buy it and watch it at home.

QHShowoman, glad you enjoyed the event last year. I won't be able to attend this year since I'll be heading up to Williamstown, MA for the ALDHA Gathering. Red-Dog, the movie will be available later in the year from ATC at appalachiantrail.org/store.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Our goal for the membership drive/film showing is 2,185 new members - one for every mile of trail. We're up to 670 tickets sold to new members so far. In trail mileage, that means right up to Sinking Creek Valley, just a few miles south of the Keffer Oak.

Help us get to Katahdin!

If you're already a member, get a gift member for a penniless 2014 thru-hiker now so they'll automatically get the March/April issue of the magazine with their name in it (their name will be in if they report their hike completion to ATC before December 31).
    I got two tickets and did not see this post, is there any way I can still gift the second membership to someone else now?

There are still tickets left for the DC showing, but we've sold out the last 2 years in this venue. If anyone wants to go, now would be a good time to get yours.

Ray, I think you can still give your membership to someone else, I'll try to find out tomorrow.

++ New Posts ++