WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default RMNP multi-day hike suggestions

Hey all, I saw the other thread on RMNP, it was helpful. I am specifically looking for some suggestions for a three or four day hike, ending at or near Estes Park. A little background:

We are planning a reunion for a group of folks who participated in a long distance hike many years ago. The reunion will be held in Estes Park. I've been asked to put together a "hike-in" for the reunion. Would like to keep the mileage down to no more than about 8 miles per day as most of the folks are no longer regular backpackers, and most of us will be coming from low elevations. The reunion is planned for Sept of 2015.

Looking for suggestions for a pleasant hike starting near-by and ending as close to Estes Park as reasonable. Perhaps some options incorporated for longer daily mileage for those who may choose. This last is not a requirement, but would be nice.

I've ordered a couple of trail guides and the Trails Illustrated map. Surrounding area suggestions also welcome - doesn't HAVE to be RMNP, per se.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

At ~34 miles, may be the perfect loop in terms of mileage for a four day backpacking trip.
    http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-loo...rand-lake-loop

You can easily tack on "bonus mileage" to different areas if you so chose.

Note that a shorter version can be done if you start from the Grand Lake side. Also eliminates some elev gain coming from Bear Lake to Flat Top. That may be a an option for those getting their backpacking legs again.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Thanks Mags,

I will definitely check this out when I get my maps.

Exactly the type of suggestion I was looking for.

Any others?

The Pawnee-Buchanan loop (same link) at ~29 miles with the Crater Lake option is also a classic. Another option may be the Devil's Thumb Loop at ~25 miles. Also takes in the CDT. These loops, or rather the trailheads, are less than an hour from Estes Park.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Excellent choice, Mags.

(Thread Drift: your "5 favorite hikes" page is outstanding; I've done all but one of those and a couple of them many times (4-pass, LCW). Might have to repeat that IPW loop this weekend....)

Thanks for the kind words. I wrote this article about a decade ago (on a different version of my website). By far my most popular article. I have other hikes I enjoy (esp off trail), but these five seem to fit for various people's needs.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

++ New Posts ++