WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default hiking permits and cost?

I have read in a couple different places that u need a permit to hike and camp in certain areas.
    My question is how many different places do u need a permit and how much do they cost?

On the AT, the Smokies are the only place where you have to pay for a permit to backpack through the National Park. In Shenandoah NP you just fill out a permit as you enter the park; they don't (yet) require a fee. When you are going through NH, the AMC campsites also require a fee, though not a reservation or permit.

Journal Entries

You need a permit for the Smokies, as a thru hiker it runs $20.00 and is good for 7-8 days. You can buy it 30 days in advance of entering the park. I am on my phone or I would give you the website. You also need one for the Shanandoa Park. It is free and you her them at the park entrance. Both permits must be displayed.

Buckeye Bill
    Blackheart

Might be a small fee to enter GSMNP. That's the only permit I know of on the AT.

In VT and NH, there are few campsites that charge a $5 fee. The AMC huts charge a much higher fee, but may offer "work for stay" to occasional thru hikers. (Here we're talking small fees, not permits.)

On western trails you may well need a permit; I know that's the case for the JMT.

Images

Journal Entries

My understanding about the Smokies is that the fee is only needed for overnite shelter stays, which most thru hikers will do. But a legal 'loophole' exists that you can use the shelters during the day (to sleep) and hike at night avoiding the required fee.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    My understanding about the Smokies is that the fee is only needed for overnite shelter stays, which most thru hikers will do. But a legal 'loophole' exists that you can use the shelters during the day (to sleep) and hike at night avoiding the required fee.

Thats not entirely true....

You can only sleep in the shelter without a permit if ya don't get caught...

a few years ago, I was sleeping in a shelter and at about noon, a ranger woke me up to check permit....

I had one for that night so I was good but he implied that he would have kicked me out if I didn't....

As for entrance fee to the park---there isn't one......

Although you technically don't have to pay for a "permit" at Baxter Sate Park, logistically you need to camp in the park at a official campsite which will cost money. The alternative is a very long day hike in from the border of the park and then catch a ride out. Of course the person picking you up will most likely have to pay a road fee if they have out of state plates

Images

Details for Vermont....One $5 fee covers all three pay sites on the AT in Vermont. These include Stratton Pond Shelter, Peru Peak Shelter/Griffith Tentsites and Little Rock Pond Shelter.

Easy to find shelter elsewhere, but $5 should not break the bank.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb One more to add

It would appear a hiker entering Shenandoah must pay an $8 fee when entering the Park.
    http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/entrance_fees.htm
    INDIVIDUAL
    March through November
    $8.00 per person 16 years of age or older when entering by means other than a private, non-commercial vehicle, such as bicycles; taxis and limousines providing transportation only; buses carrying passengers not on a pre-packaged tour such as school groups visiting for recreational purposes; and buses or vans registered to non-profit organizations such as churches or schools.
    I realize this is ambiguous, but "other than a private, non-commercial vehicle" would seem to include hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    It would appear a hiker entering Shenandoah must pay an $8 fee when entering the Park.
    http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/entrance_fees.htm
    I realize this is ambiguous, but "other than a private, non-commercial vehicle" would seem to include hikers.
    This is not enforced except at certain trailheads popular with day hikers (such as Old Rag, Whiteoak Canyon, etc). A non-issue on the AT. There isn't even anywhere to pay the fee, no box or anything attached to the permit station.

Thank u everyone for the info. Much appreciated.

Last I checked you needed a permit to camp in Fahenstock too. I don't know the exact details since I didn't make it that far last weekend. Maybe people generally hike through and don't stay there?
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

There are lots of spots where you can pay to camp, the question was, where must you pay? (A lot of hikers pay to camp in various places, for instance to take advantage of campground showers.)

Fahnestock does indeed have reserved campsites, $15 a night ($24 for out-of-staters) plus a $2.75 walk-up fee or a $9 reservation charge. But few thru-hikers use them.

My recollection - and I could be wrong, it's been a while since I sectioned the East Hudson Highlands - was that the park staff let thru-hikers stay free of charge at Dennytown Road across the street from the water pump, and let them use the showers at the campground. In the past, this was a popular place to stay, although by the time they hit NY, most thru-hikers will just pull the 20 miles from Graymoor to RPH in one day.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    most thru-hikers will just pull the 20 miles from Graymoor to RPH in one day.
    This is what I assumed was the case. I worked in and around Fahenstock all summer, but was never near any trails or campsites (monitoring forestry inventory plots) so I never got the chance to ask. Haha.

On the rare occasion I saw a hiker cross Rt. 301 it was early enough that I'm sure they kept moving.
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Concerning Fahnestock State Park

> Fahnestock does indeed have reserved campsites

When I stayed at Pelton Pond Campground three years ago, when the place was 90% empty, the ranger told me that, as a thru-hiker, I could camp there for one night for free. I was VERY clear I was anything but a thru-hiker, but he comped me the night's stay anyway.
    *NO GUARANTEE* this policy is still in effect, or that you'll get the same level of pity that I got. If the ranger demands payment, replying with, "Goldenbear got to stay here for free three years ago!" most likely won't get you far.

Here are my attempts to assist others in staying there:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=47333
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=47327
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=47326
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=47323
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=47322

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    ,...most thru-hikers will just pull the 20 miles from Graymoor to RPH in one day.
    Actually, it's 18.8 miles. There's also the tenting area 1.3 mi south of the shelter.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Actually, it's 18.8 miles. There's also the tenting area 1.3 mi south of the shelter.
    6 per cent error. Not too bad.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++