WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2015 AT Guide

Default 2015 AT Guide

Hello!
    When does AWOL typically release the next years AT Guide? Getting way to excited for my 2015 Thru-hike!

Images

I believe that it's January. But, if you go to his website, you can contact him directly and ask.

http://www.theatguide.com/
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

January is correct

NO offense to AWOL..... but you do not need a guide book. It's extra weight, takes up space, and you'll rarely look at it.

On my 400mile section... I printed, in size 10 font, the mile list from summitpost. It says if there is a camp, shelter, food, water.... it was all of maybe 3 index cards cut in half..... put it in a ziplock bag, and in my side pocket.

Simple is better..... just look at the closet the hiker hostel has in GA of all the **** people "thought" they needed. One thing I remember seeing in it.... was an AWOL guide. I considered taking it... b/c I was like, "wow free $20 guide"..... then I realized I didnt want to carry that. I was glad I passed.

There are many things that people don't "need" but they take it anyways because they "want" it. HYOH.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

You don't "need" a guide but man are they ever helpful. Just having maps of trail towns, services in trail towns, phone numbers, etc. makes it worthwhile to me.

And now you can get a PDF version for your phone - why not have a guide? It actually makes no sense *not* to have one.

Images

I see AWOL's guide used daily at our hostel....probably 90% of our guests carry AWOL's or The Companion.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

The AWOL guide is excellent value for the money. It was a very helpful resource on my section hike this year.

Get the AWOL guide in individual pages and only carry the pages you need. Put the balance in a bounce box or have someone mail them to you as needed.

Those that don't carry a guide (or maps) are the ones that want to look at your guide (or maps) when they see you using it.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nooga View Post
    Get the AWOL guide in individual pages and only carry the pages you need. Put the balance in a bounce box or have someone mail them to you as needed.
    Planning to split mine up into 500 miles sections and have the next section mailed to me with care packages from home. Gonna be color-coded and filled with notes from those who have gone before me.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

I'm going to get the loose leaf version for 2015. I cut up my bound 2014 version and it held up well.

Images

Lots of hikers buy two copies....one for themselves and one for the folks back home doing all the support during the hike.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

The guide is a great resource for planning your water stops. Will also tell you how far things are from the trail like huts, towns, springs, etc. Like others have said only carry the pages you need.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nooga View Post
    The above.

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    Planning to split mine up into 500 miles sections and have the next section mailed to me with care packages from home. Gonna be color-coded and filled with notes from those who have gone before me.
    The above again. I'm looking through my old 2012 - going to get a 2015 to re-plan AND 3 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I'm going to get the loose leaf version for 2015. I cut up my bound 2014 version and it held up well.
    Above again - did so in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Lots of hikers buy two copies....one for themselves and one for the folks back home doing all the support during the hike.
    Above is why I'm getting 3 in 2016: one for me, one for the wife, one for my dad.

LOTS of things in a hiker box I thought were pretty cool; however, didn't "need" them. The Guide I would have grabbed if I hadn't already been carrying one. Great resource for me at the time and to continue to plan for the next attempt.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I have been building my files to down load to my phone. It will be camera, map, and data base. I can have the wife email me the section info at resupply points and file it in the phone.
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I've always used 2 guides as well.... It's a lot easier to call my wife and tell her the name of a place and what page it's on in the guide to ship me something than it is to try and give her all the info over the phone.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I've always used 2 guides as well.... It's a lot easier to call my wife and tell her the name of a place and what page it's on in the guide to ship me something than it is to try and give her all the info over the phone.
    Good idea, I think Old Hiker said something about it as well. Looks like I'll buying a couple of 'em.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hikehunter View Post
    I have been building my files to down load to my phone. It will be camera, map, and data base. I can have the wife email me the section info at resupply points and file it in the phone.
    I have built notes about the trail state by state in my phone. Got so upset with myself when I lost my phone and realized I didn't have them all backed up. I like the idea about having them available for email. Ill have to do that.

http://www.summitpost.org/appalachia...e-chart/593282

This tells you everything you need....

If I want to find out where the Wendy's is in Erwin, I guess I'll need AWOLS.... or Internet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++