WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Wearing Contact Lens

Hi:

I am planning a SOBO thru-hike on the trail and am wondering about what to do for my eyesight. I wear disposable extended wear contacts (change every two weeks). I have worn them backpacking on shorter trips (up to a week), bringing glasses and an emergency pair of lens with me.

I'm wondering if anyone has worn contacts while on the trail, or would I be better off just starting out with glasses.

I use 1 day dailies to avoid needing to carry solution and the case. Just be sure to get enough to last your full trip beforehand.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Glasses fog up and are a pain in the rain.
    I always hike with my contacts. But since I have to take mine out each night, I carry a pair of glasses too.

But with contacts you only have to remove once every two weeks, I'd just always carry an extra two pair, replacing from a bounce box every two weeks.

Images

I also always hike in contacts. Why not, I do everything else wearing them (except sleeping). Just a matter of washing your hands, which you should be doing anyway, right?

Yeah, I'm not a supporter of glasses on the trail. I wear contact lenses that can be slept in, though I'm sure I push that to the limit. I would only trust my fingers around my eyes if I could wash them thoroughly in town. Though I do carry one emergency set with me just in case, the rest get bounced ahead.

Just a note: If you have a dry eye problem it is not recommended to sleep in contacts even with the brands that can support it.

I did 500 miles of a SOBO attempt in glasses and it worked, though there were many sunny days that really had me wishing I had sunglasses. Hiking in the rain also proved difficult, sometimes almost bringing me to a complete stop. The lenses fogging up happened, but not too frequently.

Just like you, I have done several shorter trips with contacts. I do two week disposables that I cannot sleep in. It is a pain, since I also have to carry glasses and contact lens solution. I also always worry about dirty fingers when putting them in and taking them out.

My final solution was to get LASIK - I am scheduled for it next Friday. Definitely the most expensive way to lose weight from my pack, but not dealing with contacts will be well worth it. I am also looking forward to being able to wear sunglasses and nap with impunity.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    My final solution was to get LASIK - I am scheduled for it next Friday. Definitely the most expensive way to lose weight from my pack, but not dealing with contacts will be well worth it. I am also looking forward to being able to wear sunglasses and nap with impunity.
    LASIK would be nice. Not just from a weight savings perspective but from a general quality of life standpoint. Unfortunately my eyes have never really stabilized so LASIK isn't an option for me. Would be horrible to get it done then have it all thrown down the drain two years later. Good luck with your LASIK operation. It can be scary... I had a friend that was blind for two full weeks after it was done but thankfully it wasn't permanent.

Journal Entries

I wear contacts and push them way beyond the limit. (I'm talking months not weeks.) I figure the damage will be done putting my fingers in my eye rather than on the extended use. I suppose the won't work for everyone but it works for me. I gave up on glasses as they don't work well for an active lifestyle (hiking, windsurfing, scuba diving, hanggliding, dancing, whatever.) An extra (several pairs) for backup when they fall out unexpectedly, they're light and don't take up much room and don't break like all the glasses I've worn.

do you guys recommend any type of contacts? i have extremely dry eyes and have not found a brand yet that i would feel comfortable for taking with me on the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MarsAndBuddy View Post
    do you guys recommend any type of contacts? i have extremely dry eyes and have not found a brand yet that i would feel comfortable for taking with me on the trail.
    I wore these a month at a time on the AT, PCT, and CDT. I only took them out in town where I could practice proper hygiene. Each evening and morning I put rewetting drops in each eye. http://www.webeyecare.com/Night-Day-...FYQ9aQodL6EAqg
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Journal Entries

I wear glasses now, but bring contacts for backup.

When i was in college i left my CSI extended wear lenses in for over a year without removing.

thx for the link - i see that these have some great reviews - i will definitley have to try these out - thx again

Images

For past thru hikers, how easy/hard was it to find contact lens solutions in towns ?? I'm wondering if I can find solutions along the way or need to have mail drops instead.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Glasses fog up and are a pain in the rain.
    I always hike with my contacts. But since I have to take mine out each night, I carry a pair of glasses too.

But with contacts you only have to remove once every two weeks, I'd just always carry an extra two pair, replacing from a bounce box every two weeks.
    If you wear glasses you absolutely need to wear a hat with a brim on it that's going to shield your eyes in the rain, otherwise you'll be cleaning the water off of them constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    For past thru hikers, how easy/hard was it to find contact lens solutions in towns ?? I'm wondering if I can find solutions along the way or need to have mail drops instead.
    I had one mail drop for contacts/maps but none for solution. There were enough grocery stores and Wal-Marts near the trail. I'm assuming in a pinch you could find some at a Dollar General which most of the small towns had.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    I had one mail drop for contacts/maps but none for solution. There were enough grocery stores and Wal-Marts near the trail. I'm assuming in a pinch you could find some at a Dollar General which most of the small towns had.
    Thanks. That's what I was hoping.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

++ New Posts ++