WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Negative Thoughts After a Rough Section Hike

It is amazing how one bad trip can make you question yourself. I hiked Amicalola Falls to Unicoi Gap Sept 1-5 and it was probably the worst hike I have ever been on. It started out as a 13 day, Amicalola to Fontana section trip, but was quickly cut short due to the humidity. That is the only reason I can come up with for the trail to have whipped me so badly.

I weekend section hiked a lot of Georgia earlier this year, and I was knocking out 16-18 mile days without any problems. On this trip, I have never felt so drained after an "easy" 10 mile day. I had to have been dehydrated half the time. Pouring sweat, I was drenched as soon as I started hiking. It was miserable.

I would have bailed at Neel Gap if I had found a ride, but everyone I called was unavailable. So I pushed on to Unicoi and got picked up there. It was a disappointment of a trip.

Thinking back on it now, I am questioning my idea to thru hike next year. If I can't handle Georgia without quitting when it gets rough, what makes me think I can handle the entire AT? It is kind of depressing.

Anyone else having pre-hike blues/second thoughts?

Journal Entries

We were hiking in that area over Labor Day, and yes it was hot and humid! When it was finally over, I felt so beat up, even though our mileage was a fairly modest 12+ mpd. I don't think I could do a thru-hike. I would have a rough time staying with it through the summer heat.
    But that's why I have enthusiasm for section-hiking. I can pick and choose the time of year for each section, avoiding heat, humidity, storms, bugs, drought, blizzards, etc.

Sorry to hear that you had a rough go at it. I think it's normal to question things after a bad trip, or at the end of a bad day.

A few thoughts:

To whatever extent you were suffering as a result of humidity, fatigue, etc., you have tons of time to get stronger before next year. It sounds like you're already fairly strong, anyways, as you're generally able to do 16-18 mile days. You should think of this trip as a dud, and maybe take away from it the learning experience of knowing what it's like for the hike to really suck. Unfortunately, there will probably be sections of next year's thru hike that suck even more. You might get sick, hit a week of rain, have a small injury, etc. Be ready for it to be awful, and then, most importantly, don't quit on a crappy day. Wait until you've had a good day before you entertain thoughts of pulling out (before or during the hike).

Sometimes it's great and serves a purpose to just voice the 'damn, that sucked'. Sounds like it did, and sorry bud. Now just go have yourself another hike. Just my two cents.

* Side note - my tentative plan to combat the rainy day blues will be to keep a laminated picture of my cubicle (i.e., past life) in my pack. Gonna pull that sucker out whenever I'm feeling down.

Images

I had a pretty rough section hike on the LT last week. I'm getting pretty far North, days are getting shorter, trail is getting harder, I couldn't cover my planned distance, it rained alot, the trail was muddy and some nights got below freezing. I also didn't run into a lot of people. General when I do section hikes on the AT I meet groups of people I pass several times or share shelters with. The Northern 140 miles of the LT offers a lot more solitude.

Although being unable to knock off big miles was discouraging, and at times I was pretty lonely, I looked back on the trip fondly. I was proud of myself for pushing forward when I had chances to get off the trail, and I took away some lessons as I continue my push to finish the LT this year.

My point is, try to take this experience as a learning opportunity. You learn about yourself and your limitations. Also, keep in mind a thru hike offers a lot more freedom. You usually hike with groups and friends that will help support you. If the humidity is getting to you, maybe you hike to town and take a 0 or do less miles until the humidity breaks. Section hikes are difficult because you have a set distance in a set amount of time.

I did that same section over labor day weekend. It was rough with temperature. I sweat a lot normally. That weekend was out of control. I had to change into new socks twice a day and still had god awful blisters. We did 17 miles day 1. 15+ miles day 2. I did 18+ miles day 3. and 10+ miles day 4 ending at 12 PM.

It was hot. It was rough. You would be long gone before you get those temps. By the time you see those temps, you will have your trail legs. I wouldn't let it get you down, but then again, I just started hiking so what do I know.

Journal Entries

I would suggest you get and read Appalachian Trials by Zach Davis. In it he discusses the "SUCK" and how to handle it with a smile on your face. Good luck on your thru attempt next year.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
    Blackheart

been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I've hiked that section in spring, summer and fall, and I know it feels a lot worse in the hot/humid weather, and it really is a challenge to stay hydrated. I live in Florida, and that heat/humidity is what we suffer through down here over half the year. Labor Day weekend was miserable humid along most all the east coast this year. As far as it affecting your thru hike plans, my suggestion is take a little time off hiking to think more about it before cancelling your plans, then get back out and do some day hikes to build endurance. When hiking in hot weather, take more breaks on the trail, try to keep a wet bandana around your head or neck during the day, eat more salty foods, and try adding some electrolytes to your water, like Mio Fit, Gu-Brew, or NUUN tabs.
    Last edited by Praha4; 09-30-2014 at 12:58.

I think everyone has a bad day or two occasionally, where everything seems wrong and you start to question yourself. It's small part physical and a big part mental thing, it's easy to quit when you have an option, harder to keep going when there is no requirement to.

My favorite answer to recruits in basic when they said they couldn't go on. Your not dead or unconscious so get up and keep going until you are.

Then you throw on a pack again and everything is sweet, the world is okay and the miles come and go.

I live in a hot humid area and most of the spring and summer walks are in 30 - 40C (84 - 104F) temperatures and you have to adapt your walking to the conditions. Sit and think about what went wrong and then improve it. Hot humid weather, you need more water and electrolytes especially if you sweat heavily, you also don't usually feel like eating much during the day so you are not getting the fuel your body needs, try glucose tablets for a bit of an energy hit or other easy to eat high energy foods and then more water. Have a siesta in the middle of the day 11am - 2pm and eat after you have rested. Eat big meals in the early morning or after dark when you cool down. Take a water bottle to bed and if you wake during the night more water. Shorten the distances traveled or do some night walking.

From what I have read in others journals by the time you hit the hot and humid weather on the AT your body should have had a chance to slowly adjust to those rising temperatures and humidity and it won't be such a big problem.

Now coming from my end of summer to a Georgia spring in mid march next year, that will be my big problem. Freezing my you know what off will be the reason I'll want to quit so watch out in the shelters for the aussie spooner "I'm just friendly not trying to steal your heat".
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

I wouldn't worry too much, maybe hot weather is just not your strength.
    In cold weather I am just about unstoppable, but put me in a hot, humid summers day and I turn into a soft, floppy puddle of hopelessness !!
    that's why I started my thru in early March and finished by early July..mostly to avoid the heat.

Do enough hiking to understand your strengths (and weaknesses) and then plan accordingly.
    and everyone has bad days...... You do need a strategy to deal with them. One of the best pieces of advice I have seen on WB is to not make a decision to quit your hike while on trail. Get into town for a couple of days & then see if you still feel like quitting.

I've quit at least one or two section hikes due to overly hot and humid conditions. One trick for hot weather hiking... take off your shirt, soak it in a stream, wring it out, and put it back on. Might be a bit uncomfortable for the first few seconds, but it'll feel great over the next hour or two as it's drying. Do the same with your bandana. Splash some water on your face when you get a chance.

There are several products out there called "neck coolers". Basically, you soak them and the beads inside swell with water, then it cools you as the water slowly evaporates. I've seen instructions online on how to make your own too. My wife and I each have one, and they really do work.

As for the "bad" hike, consider the alternatives. You could have been at work instead, or too injured to hike. Look for those silver linings.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I've only quit a hike once and that was the Bartram Trail where a long road walk begins (hiking north). I had just hiked through 20 miles of terribly maintained trail and was done with it...... so I told myself I'd call the shuttle guy and if he could come I would quit - otherwise I'd continue. He came, and I left.

Quitting ate at me so much I was back the following weekend to finish. I learned my lesson and now no matter how much I may want to quit in the moment I keep moving. And the feeling passes eventually.

I think you're right to use this trip as an indicator for your upcoming thru hike. If it were me I I'd get back to Amicalola ASAP and beat that section by successfully hiking it.

What's the saying? I believe it's: "A bad day on the trail is better than a good day at the office" Well, apparently that's not true

I find it difficult to believe humidity in Sept would be much of a problem, if it were you got some serious prepin' to do for Virginia, Maryland, Penn....; because you'll be there in the summer during a thru-hike.

Sometimes we just go thru bad periods and when we are not performing up to what we are normally use to, that messes with our psyche and we start making excuses for the cause. Next time don't be so quick to assign blame to what ails you and try and figure out the problem, but remember everyone goes thru bad patches and sometimes you just have to slow down and deal with it and not let your reduced performance affect your psyche, so much.

BTW, roughly how much hiking experience do you have?

Georgia has the toughest hiking south of New Hampshire...I wouldn't be too concerned about getting whipped by "easy" 10 mile days there using a full pack. I doubt that many NOBOs go faster than that under much easier (i.e., cooler) conditions.
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Quote Originally Posted by joshuasdad View Post
    Georgia has the toughest hiking south of New Hampshire...I wouldn't be too concerned about getting whipped by "easy" 10 mile days there using a full pack. I doubt that many NOBOs go faster than that under much easier (i.e., cooler) conditions.
    Georgia is a piece of cake but I wouldn't want to try and hike it at any time other then the early spring. I really hate hiking in hot, humid weather. It saps my energy big time. The way to deal with it is to try and do most of the miles early in the day while it's still at least a little cool out. Drink a lot of water and replace those electrolytes. Take plenty of breaks later in the afternoon when the heat becomes insufferable.

Anyway, don't let one bad trip discourage you from attempting a thru. Two bad trips, maybe A thru hike is not all sunshine and butterflies. You have to learn to take the good with the bad and hopefully the good out weighs the bad by a significant amount.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I can't speak specifically to hiking, but with any physical activity you're going to have some days that are better than others. The key is to stick with it and recognize that even if your performance wasn't the best on a given day it was still better than sitting at home on the couch. You're going to go through peaks and valleys (pun intended) and that's ok.

During my High Sierra hike a couple weeks ago, I had more elevation gain than I have ever hiked. Very steep, very long and unforgiving, not to mention the altitude and carrying more weight than I have done since the military in 09. I hated life a hundred times for each ascent. I was huffing and puffing, my knees hurt, thirsty etc. By the 3rd day I was feeling and doing much better. My point is, don't be so quick to give up, your body then your mind will adjust quickly. Also, I wasn't prepared physical for that type of hiking so, to get a jump on the hike, get yourself in better condition, hike more, weight train and work on cardio.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

[QUOTE=Pedaling Fool;1911857]I find it difficult to believe humidity in Sept would be much of a problem, if it were you got some serious prepin' to do for Virginia, Maryland, Penn....; because you'll be there in the summer during a thru-hike.

The humidity can be almost unbearable in GA even in Oct. It was for me in 2010 and I am pretty "used to" the humidity from where I live. Like others have said, don't expect as much out of yourself under these conditions and drink extra, rest more often, etc.

Bad hikes make good memories, might be why eveyone loves their thru hike so much
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Maybe this is heresy, and if so - here goes anyway, I guess.

I did what you did, went out on a big section hike to see if I thought I might like to do a really long hike one day, such as a thru-hike, and I actually found out that, at this point in my life, I don't want to do that. For me, it was more that the emotional pain and strain of being apart from loved ones for so long was a serious problem and definitely a red flag that that might be a hike-ending issue. It also showed me that, even though there were parts of it that were fun and adventurous, it wasn't fun and adventurous "enough" to warrant spending six months on it. There are a lot of things I like to do, whether that's running, cooking, reading, being with friends... but I don't like doing any of those things enough to want to do them all day, every day, for six months.

I don't know, maybe if I quit a job, told everybody I was thru-hiking, geared up, put six months aside to do it - I'd feel as if I had to follow through no matter what. Maybe the embarrassment factor of coming back early would propel me through a long hike, I don't know. I do know that by a few days into it, I was counting the days until it was over, and that was a huge surprise to me, I had never expected to feel that way.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, despite what anybody else says, try and figure out what this hike is saying to you, and be as honest with yourself as you can be. It isn't the end of the world if you decide not to go on a thru-hike. I, for one, am extremely glad that I had this experience before I made a huge commitment like embarking on a thru, I know a lot more about myself than I did before and that alone was worth the price!

Jane

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++