WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tyvek wind shirt?

I read people talking about rain vs. wind jackets. So i looked around at wind jackets, sticker shock !!! ,
    I have enough Tyvek left over from a ground cloth to make a jacket. washed it so it's soft.
    I could buy a cheap plastic rain jacket, cut it up for a pattern.
    Oh! yea! and what about dying Tyvek so so it doesn't look so stupid.
    Your opinion ??

Just get a cheap driducks or I really like my OR helium 2 rain-wind jacket 6oz but not cheap....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Just get a cheap driducks or I really like my OR helium 2 rain-wind jacket 6oz but not cheap....
    Yep, Frog Toggs (aka Dri ducks) "ultralight rain suit" (be careful, lots of other Frog Togg models, heavier and more expensive), 20 bucks, works great as a wind jacket but is also waterproof. comes with pants, total 20 bucks 11 ounces for large (total weight).

They make a Tyvek Lab coat which should do the trick. The only problem is you may have to buy a box of 30 of them for $140...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I tried the painters suit....I'd oass

Pass

Tyvek is not breathable enough for a true windshirt, you would be better off just wearing your rain gear. You can however, usually find some cheap wind shirts on clearance - Stoic, Brooks, etc for ~$25.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    Tyvek is not breathable enough for a true windshirt, you would be better off just wearing your rain gear. You can however, usually find some cheap wind shirts on clearance - Stoic, Brooks, etc for ~$25.

Ryan
    Absolutely. Wind shirts definitely do not have to be a pricey affair. Heck, I got a Marmot DriClime out of season on an Eastern Mountain Sports clearance rack for $18 marked down from something in the $50 neighborhood.

If you were willing to sew your own-
    Argon 67 from http://dutchwaregear.com/argon-67.html
    or M50 (back in stock) from http://thru-hiker.com/materials/breathable.php

M50 is a hair better, but Argon is only $10 a yard. They both pretty well weigh the same.

I use a Patagonia Houdini- retail is $100, but they go on sale as low as $50, especially if you take a bad color. I just use these, 2 yards of fabric, zipper, notions, shipping, tax- $25-$30 to make your own isn't worth it to me.

Why don't you go to a Goodwill-type store and look for "windbreakers". Ages ago when I was a kid, these types of jackets were call windbreakers and could be had for a very cheap price. Not very trendy or light, but they get the job done. I have an old "GAP" windbreaker that must be 30 years old, no lie. It has a hood and stuffs into it's own front pocket. I think it weighs about 8 ounces. Looks like something you'd wear on a sailboat, but gets the job done.

We use tyvek for ground cloths, it is waterproof and very tough. Wear it while you hike and you will get drenched from sweat. We carry the Montbell wind shirt, like 3 oz and very handy and small if you just need a light windproof cover.

Images

If you have the skills and the patience, the kit from thru-hiker is top notch. I think mine weighs about 2.5 oz.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yep, Frog Toggs (aka Dri ducks) "ultralight rain suit" (be careful, lots of other Frog Togg models, heavier and more expensive), 20 bucks, works great as a wind jacket but is also waterproof. comes with pants, total 20 bucks 11 ounces for large (total weight).
    I'm a fan of the 20 dollar Frog Toggs and use the jacket from hiking to everything else. I have found an issue over the past couple years. The jackets seem to soak through fairly easily after hr or so in constant downpour. Also, worse, when held up to light, have seen multiple pin size holes in body section. Note, this jacket had no abrasion or briar contact. Seems to be some sort of manufact. issue. Just my experience.

I tried wearing the frogg togg pants a few years ago...tried to step over a log and split the crotch out ...definitely cheap...not durable..I can't wear rain pants as I sweat way to bad..thinking about a rain kilt....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    I'm a fan of the 20 dollar Frog Toggs and use the jacket from hiking to everything else. I have found an issue over the past couple years. The jackets seem to soak through fairly easily after hr or so in constant downpour. Also, worse, when held up to light, have seen multiple pin size holes in body section. Note, this jacket had no abrasion or briar contact. Seems to be some sort of manufact. issue. Just my experience.
    That hasn't been my experience, maybe you did just get a bad lot? Frogg Toggs are not durable, that's for sure, but my jacket lasted me 950 AT miles last year, kept me plenty dry and warm.

And yes, the pants are c-r-a-p, but they do still work.

Hiking skirts are great though, Salty, though on the AT last fall some red-necks did give a hiker (not me at that time) some serious crap about "wearing a dress" on the trail. They didn't want to stay in the same shelter as a "guy wearing a dress". The mind boggles! Anyway, I use the Frog Togg jacket and a sil-nylon "kilt" (skirt) for leg rain protection on the AT, but use the Frog Togg pants for leg protection in Colorado because out here the warmth of the pants is better. I did rip out a crotch once as well, but that just makes for better ventilation!

I found that my Dri Ducks pants were more water resistant than my (much) more expensive Outdoor Research Helium II. However, the pants were torn to shreds at the end of my Colorado Trail hike and had to be patched up with duct tape in large amounts to keep it serviceable until the end of the hike. I do not find the pants to be very breathable, however, and was warm when wearing them in temps above the low 50s. The OR Helium II could be used as a wind jacket comfortably even into the low 60s so it felt more breathable.

zPacks just came out with a new wind shirt although it is certainly not inexpensive... my guess is that it will offer the best performance for the weight.

I would be afraid of passing out or sweating to death, that stuff doesn’t breathe at all. Disclaimer: I do tend to run a bit on the warm side and I’m a big sweater.
    On the flip side, I like it as a ground cloth, (though it will eventually break down and suck up water like a sponge), and I made a pair of jamming rain mits that trapped so much heat I could often wear them by themselves while hiking in 15-20 deg temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I found that my Dri Ducks pants were more water resistant than my (much) more expensive Outdoor Research Helium II. However, the pants were torn to shreds at the end of my Colorado Trail hike and had to be patched up with duct tape in large amounts to keep it serviceable until the end of the hike. I do not find the pants to be very breathable, however, and was warm when wearing them in temps above the low 50s. The OR Helium II could be used as a wind jacket comfortably even into the low 60s so it felt more breathable.

zPacks just came out with a new wind shirt although it is certainly not inexpensive... my guess is that it will offer the best performance for the weight.
    I haven't had my helium Il rain/wind jacket very long as was a warr replacement for a foray.. How did it shed water? Im hoping will work better than dry ducks...$150 msrp....I hope so...also has great reviews for the weight...I'm thinking about a rain kilt as pants don't do it for me...sweat too much

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I haven't had my helium Il rain/wind jacket very long as was a warr replacement for a foray.. How did it shed water? Im hoping will work better than dry ducks...$150 msrp....I hope so...also has great reviews for the weight...I'm thinking about a rain kilt as pants don't do it for me...sweat too much
    For me, the Helium II seemed to wet out after 45 minutes to an hour in sustained rain when I wasn't exerting myself enough to sweat. Obviously, it would wet out sooner if I was sweating heavily. Before my last trip, I treated the jacket with McNetts. I had previously used it on the JMT and on an AT section hike and I didn't experience much rain on those trips. There is no doubt that the Helium is aesthetically better than the Dri Ducks and more durable and breathable but I'm not convinced it is better in terms of the time before it wets out.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Thx... Hopefully I'll have a better experience w it...as haven't really put it to the test....too hot.... Maybe they changed it?? Pertex?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++