WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Where will you be for the Total Eclipse on August 21, 2017?

August 21st, 2017 will be the first Total Eclipse of the Sun (TES) visible from the continental United States in 38 years. This will be a very exciting event that should attract astronomers and sky watchers from around the world. The path of the eclipse cuts right across the United States and will bisect all three great trails.

It looks like the best viewing on the Appalachian Trail should be from Standing Indian Mountain or Mount Albert. The path of the eclipse goes very near these peaks. I welcome suggestions for other potential viewing sites in this area.

On the CDT it looks like the TES will cross the trail somewhere in the Wind River Range in Wyoming. This location would be the best bet to have clear skies on eclipse day. If you would rather see the eclipse with all the perks of civilization, Jackson Hole looks like one of the nicest locals on eclipse route to establish a base. The center of the eclipse will pass just a little north of town.

The eclipse crosses the PCT in Oregon. The crossing of the trail appears to be well away from any road crossings just north of Mount Jefferson.

Anyone have plans to view the TES along these trails? Any additional viewing locations recommended? I'm thinking combining a Yellowstone Trip and then camping near Jackson Hole the night before the eclipse would be the best bet for me. Better start making those reservations.

Looks like another standing indian loop trip...thanks for the heads up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to Mexico for total eclipse, 8 minutes of totality, very interesting.

I didn't have plans before but I guess I do Now! THANKS for the heads up!

Images

We are already planning on being in the middle of Wyoming, only a couple hundred miles from home, for this event. We had the privilege of seeing an annular eclipse in the middle of the Utah desert a couple years ago; fantastic stuff!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I didn't have any plans but I need to think about this now! Given the timing in the summer, lots of possibilities. It so happens that I've entertained the idea of the CDT in 2017 and maybe being in WY at the time of the eclipse would work out well in a NOBO thru hike?

Thanks for the heads up .
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Grand Teton National Park.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Quote Originally Posted by full conditions View Post
    Grand Teton National Park.
    Yup, me too. I'll be sure to bring bug juice and a Bible though because shortly after the TES the world will end.

Images

titcomb1.jpgGrand Teton NP is definitely one of my favorite NP's, but guys, it will be an absolute ZOO in any NP in the path of a total solar eclipse. Just sayin'! Book whatever you need to book just as soon as you can, of course; hotels, lodges, campgrounds, whatever, they will all be 100% booked just as soon as they can be booked at all.

Wyoming has so many areas away from it all that are spectacular. We're thinking of a Kayak trip to a remote shore of one of the zillions of lakes in the path; one that catches my eye is Bull Lake, off US 287, or Boyson reservoir. Then there is always a nice BP trip into the wind rivers....

Sounds like 2017 will be a good year to schedule a NOBO CDT thru-hike. Though a most hikers are likely to be a bit north of the full eclipse zone in Wyoming, it still should make for an interesting day and nice photos.

Hmmmmm...........
    Sailboat. Bicycle. Backpack. Somewhere between Oregon and Wyoming. There is a glimmer of a plan forming.
    Thanks for the news.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

thanks for the heads up Scotty, hadn't heard about this one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Went to Mexico for total eclipse, 8 minutes of totality, very interesting.
    Wow, that is exceptional. This eclipse looks to be around 2 1/2 minutes of totality, depending where you are of course.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    We are already planning on being in the middle of Wyoming, only a couple hundred miles from home, for this event. We had the privilege of seeing an annular eclipse in the middle of the Utah desert a couple years ago; fantastic stuff!
    Wyoming seems to be one of the best places (open spaces, less chance of cloud cover) to see this one. Mount Borah, the tallest peak in Idaho, is also on the path of this eclipse. The peak of Mount Borah looks like it would be a grand place to watch the eclipse for the adventurer. I've been looking a photos of 'Chicken Out Ridge' on Mount Borah, and I can see how it earned its name.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Wyoming seems to be one of the best places (open spaces, less chance of cloud cover) to see this one. Mount Borah, the tallest peak in Idaho, is also on the path of this eclipse. The peak of Mount Borah looks like it would be a grand place to watch the eclipse for the adventurer. I've been looking a photos of 'Chicken Out Ridge' on Mount Borah, and I can see how it earned its name.
    One tricky little move is all... here's me down climbing it, but remember, Borah is a 5500 vertical foot climb in 3 miles, so be ready for that! Cool place though...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Where will I be? In the hot tub on the deck of a cabin a thousand feet above Lake Watauga. I think the tub is on the west porch. Had no idea when we booked it!

Journal Entries

I don't recall the last one being that impressive. I watched it at school with two notebook cards with a hole on the top one . got a little dim, less than a good thunderstorm.

Absolutely no idea where I'll be so far into the future... But I thank you for the heads up.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++