WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Who is going to reply????

I read a lot of the posted items on this great blog....called ....."WHITE BLAZE "...

I respond to posts mostly based upon on who is posting.....
    sometimes I respond based on the topic.

...there are a few and (as far as I have seen there are just a few)...folks that have gone "off the reservation".

More than 50% of what you find on the social inter-web....is crap....

I like this place ,.... as it has a lesser % of crap, however, the "white blaze" still has more than 30% crap.........

People will hike their hike... what works for one may or may-not work for all....

Opinion is one thing ..... going after someone that does something different ---------- is something that does not go with the common "think" of others....

I have only seen this in a few threads.......however......it is the same persons that go...APE S--T, in their replys......
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

I get pleasantly surprised if I get 10 posts into a thread and somebody hadn't been 'blazed' yet.

Well I hope its one of the people that targets a 15 year girl for thru hiking the AT or the people that go after the 19 year kid that wants to hike the AT next year but they think he should already have a career, 401k, retirement fund, own a main residence and a summer house on the beach.

Someone that wants to do something besides just hike the AT just to hike can be attacked daily.

Do any of these fit the bill?
    If not is it me?

I know I get a little excited about bears but I'm from south Florida and spearfish around sharks and rarely give up a speared fish to a shark unless its really big and overly aggressive. When you feed them they come back. When you poke them in the eye they normally don't come back. Bears I find interesting.

I hope its not me. I'm the new guy remember.

Yep some people are 'touchy' in this forum.
    i got berated for mentioning the woman who did the AT in record time. Mentioned by asking what her name was.
    each to thir own, the mass of great knowledge outweighs the touchy people.

Younger know-it-alls and old curmudgeons abound in numbers.

This place is like the trail, you get a fun cross-section of demographics that have to clumsily interact. There's lots of hobbies where very like-minded people congregate together, but hiking really isn't one of them. The result is the atmosphere around white blaze.

Enjoy you time here, but if you're looking for solidarity: it's elsewhere.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Thumbs up

Drama is a part of human nature. If you don't feed the troll, it tends to stay under the bridge where it belongs.

i have got some good information here, and find it to be a good and helpful community.....

....maybe it is just me?

(wow, that is funny... That was my 500th post).
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by hikehunter View Post
    I read a lot of the posted items on this great blog....called ....."WHITE BLAZE "...

I respond to posts mostly based upon on who is posting.....
    sometimes I respond based on the topic.

...there are a few and (as far as I have seen there are just a few)...folks that have gone "off the reservation".

More than 50% of what you find on the social inter-web....is crap....

I like this place ,.... as it has a lesser % of crap, however, the "white blaze" still has more than 30% crap.........
    98% of all statistics are made up.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

As one of the old curmudgeons mentioned by an earlier poster in this thread, I shrug.

"Four fifths of everybody's work must be bad. But the rest is worth the trouble for its own sake." - Rudyard Kipling, The Light that Failed.
    "Ninety per cent of everything is crud." - attributed to Theodore Sturgeon.

But I try not to "blaze" people. I often don't succeed. Sorry.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    Elsewhere here on WB I thought it was 75.8% or so.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Hikers tend to have healthy egos, or at least some sense of adventure and bravado. It's not surprising that they have strong opinions. For the most part, hikers are good people. I meet very few a--holes in the woods or on the trail. Internet forums often bring out the worst in people. Curmudgeons have seen the same topics come up again and again and are prone to making provocative remarks just to stir things up.

I take no offence to anything I read, even if I disagree.

RUNT ''13''

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by runt13 View Post
    I take no offence to anything I read, even if I disagree.

RUNT ''13''
    Manners are important, but the part of HYOH that people often forget is to not let others define you, or get under your skin. Easy to say, but harder for some.

In this spirit, here is a link to an article in Vanity Fair (thanks Drudge) on "Generation Wuss"

http://www.vanityfair.fr/culture/liv...on-ellis/15837

I started to post several times then canned it cause I didn’t want to hear the blazing. I’ve walked from Georgia to Maine and feel like I have something to contribute AND something yet to learn… but sometimes it’s just not worth the effort. sad

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent". Attributed to Elanor Roosevelt.

My paraphrase: I don't allow my day to be ruined by what stupid people say on line.

WB is not as entertaining as it once was and arguably less informative.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    WB is not as entertaining as it once was and arguably less informative.
    I just wish there were some viable forum alternatives. Whiteblaze is one of the few backpacking forums which gets ample posts and quick mvt. Many like Trailspace and Sgt Rock's are slow moving---while Backpacker.com (the magazine's forum) just had a new remake and is full of bugs and frustrating.

Other Forums are zone-specific for the Cascades or the Northeast or Linville Gorge, etc. Show me an active Backpacking forum that has quick response times and doesn't get populated with non-backpacking discussions over firearms or ATV's or RV camping or Dayhiking Only or Bushcraft axes and saws---and I'd be happy.

Of course there's always Backpackinglight.com (BPL) and it's very active but gets gear obsessed and Gram crazy to the point of extremis. And now I believe requires new members to actually pay cash to post, a dead-end non-starter for me (but I'm grandfathered in so I can still post and not pay). Paying for a forum is like paying to breathe.

There are few absolutes in this reality. That certainly applies to many topics surrounding the often very individualistic find your own path HYOH world of hiking. Soooo? Why spend one iota of consciousness being offended by what amounts to a largely opinion based website or the way someone said something or that people disagree? You said it best: "People will hike their hike... what works for one may or may-not work for all...." I would sincerely hope we have all gotten that into our thinking. Personally, I often like breaking out of the commonly held hiking theories/thinking by plainly stating so in my comments. I know that can come across as harsh and shocking at times though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    And the other 15% can be shown to be wrong.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    And the other 15% can be shown to be wrong.
    And you shouldnt point out that they are wrong because it might hurt their feelings.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by steve0423 View Post
    I started to post several times then canned it cause I didn’t want to hear the blazing. I’ve walked from Georgia to Maine and feel like I have something to contribute AND something yet to learn… but sometimes it’s just not worth the effort. sad
    Don't let the "blazing' deter you. I get "blazed" all the time, it's always been that way, but you learn to like it; Thank You Sir, may I have another....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++