WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I had not one blister on my AT thru hike. I put it down to a little luck and this:-

- Good fitting boots
    - Sock liners and top quality hike socks
    - Clean socks every day. Its a great feeling to start the day with clean socks. I used to wash my socks and underwear daily in a zip lock bag.
    - For about 6 weeks prior to my hike I used to walk the last 2km of my daily walk bare foot. It was very hard at first but boy did my feet toughen up.
    Downunda

I had exactly three minor blisters on my 2014 NOBO hike. My girlfriend had zero blisters on the same hike. Our strategies were quite different. We both wore trail runners (La Sportiva Ultra Raptors for me; Brooks Cascadias for her). I'm a princess about my feet: two pairs of socks to hike (lightweight, zero to little cushion-wrightsock merino stride/trail (different name depending on the vendor, same sock) or wrightsock Coolmesh II socks all the way. Cleaned the dirty pair the next day, dried them on my pack and wore the second pair; third pair to sleep in, never hiked in these). She'd hike in the same nasty pair day after day, wearing cheapo Walmart non-cotton socks till they wore out. I also rubbed a moisture repelling salve on my feet at night before putting my sleep socks on (Burt's Bees Hand Salve was my choice). I threaded the two minor blisters I got on my toes due to oddly shaped toes that caused friction; these went away around Erwin and never came back till Maine. I got one heel blister from a too-tight fitting shoe. Used moleskin on all of the above as well and for hot spots before they blistered. Hike in what you think is comfy then if you're having foot issues, go to Outdoor 76 in Franklin, NC. They'll spend a couple hours examining your feet and fitting you for better shoes. Nobody who wore thick "hiking" socks seemed too happy with them. I hated any but the lightest cushion in my socks: they trapped moisture and caused heat buildup. Dry your feet out whenever possible. Get properly fitted shoes. Try running a few miles in your chosen pair and seeing how they feel before you go hiking. When you find what works, keep doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also had no blisters on the whole thru hike.
    One important thing is to make sure your boots fit you well. Especially make sure your big toe doesn't rub the front of your boot, if it does...you will get a blister or "blue nail" going downhill. I buy boots one size larger than my normal shoe size, then buy a good padded insole. Wow! what an improvement! Padded insoles really were nice. Also, any hot-spots should be treated immediately with mole skin and any blisters use 2nd skin gel pads. I'm a medical provider and treat this stuff all the time. Just don't let it get infected!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++