WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

One piece of wood never burns as well by itself. Either break the wood into two pieces, or if possible split it if it's a single piece. I have found this to be true with either an open campfire or a wood stove.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Damn... Maybe I'll second guess night hiking from glassmine to fontana....where was that? I've never seen any poisonous snakes on my hikes from ga- va...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't worry about it. They always seem worse when you're at home looking at pics. Just hit the trail and keep your eyes open and if one isn't on the trail in front of you, don't worry about it. The season is almost over for these guys anyway.

Y I'm hoping for some cooler weather ...headin out in a few weeks...it's the one I don't see that scares me...

Don't over tighten your canister stove element on the can...trust me on this, a good firm hand tight, and then just a weeeee bit more snugged up after 'll do it.

Frozen wet wipes hurt!

I wouldn't worry about snakes at night as they have gone into their dens. Always, poke blind steps or hand holds with stick or trekking poles. I almost stepped on this one. He was about 12" from my foot.

Timber Rattle Snake.jpg

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    I wouldn't worry about snakes at night as they have gone into their dens. Always, poke blind steps or hand holds with stick or trekking poles. I almost stepped on this one. He was about 12" from my foot.

Timber Rattle Snake.jpg
    I thought vipers hunted at night? In NC it hasn't really cooled too much.. You think they've gone into dens?

Kilt wearers, who go commando underneath. Be at the end of the line when hiking with a group going up hill. Nuff said.

The Miracle of the Pit Viper True Story:
    I was camping in the Bald River wilderness and had a neato campsite next to the river. I left camp in the morning for a short dayhike and thought to myself, "I want to see a copperhead, just to have a pic for my trip report."

I walked up the trail a ways and stopped for 10 seconds and then turned around and started back but as soon as I turned around this was on the trail---

Question is, why didn't I step on it on my first pass? Anyway, I got some good pics and received the miracle blessing from the Copperhead nation.

Here's another one for your amusement---a copperhead in my camp on the South Fork Citico trail.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post

Timber Rattle Snake.jpg
    hehe...same rule applies to rock climbing...

I pulled a beautiful 4 foot snake skin out of one of the cracks on a granite wall I was climbing a few months ago, from a rat snake I think. Fortunately the skin was no longer occupied.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

The best knife I've found is the Leatherman micra. I had something like it that had pliers rather than scissors, but after trying to cut moleskin with a knife, I decided that was a real pain (and I never used the pliers anyway). The micra has a little part of scissors in it that also helps with duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    You're slightly better off wrapping duct tape around something less mobile, like a pen, and in your pack. On your hiking poles you lift that tape every time you move your arms. In your pack it's just basic dead wt.
    Thats gettin a little too attentive for me lol
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
    The best knife I've found is the Leatherman micra. I had something like it that had pliers rather than scissors, but after trying to cut moleskin with a knife, I decided that was a real pain (and I never used the pliers anyway). The micra has a little part of scissors in it that also helps with duct tape.
    They make a micra w both...love mine

TipiWalter, does this butt clenching have anything to do with the previous bodyglide post?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    You're slightly better off wrapping duct tape around something less mobile, like a pen, and in your pack. On your hiking poles you lift that tape every time you move your arms. In your pack it's just basic dead wt.
    If you are out for a couple days, it won't matter, but keeping it clean, dry, and not exposed to UV keeps it in good condition as well for months. As a main component of FAK and repair kit, its not desireable from that standpoint to have it on trekking poles too, even if one doesn't mind the weight. Of course you can replace periodically.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-03-2014 at 06:02.

Here's a few I learned here on WhiteBlaze...

1. Instead of a scrubber or sponge for cleaning your cooking gear, carry a small square of plastic mesh bag like what onions or oranges come in. Works just as good and weighs nothing. Bonus use - wrap it around a rock and fasten with a carabiner, then use it to throw your bear bag line.

2. If you're carrying a digital camera (might work with a phone too... dunno), take the storage card out and then take a picture of a piece of paper with your contact information. That way, if you lose the camera, the first photo that comes up gives the finder everything needed to get your camera back to you. And, you don't have to re-take the photo every time you change storage cards.

3. I carry a laminated card in my first aid baggie that lists my blood type, prescription meds (dose and frequency), allergies, emergency contact info and my health insurance info.

4. Pee bottle.

Journal Entries
    Images

Really wants
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Here's a few I learned here on WhiteBlaze...

1. Instead of a scrubber or sponge for cleaning your cooking gear, carry a small square of plastic mesh bag like what onions or oranges come in. Works just as good and weighs nothing. Bonus use - wrap it around a rock and fasten with a carabiner, then use it to throw your bear bag line.

2. If you're carrying a digital camera (might work with a phone too... dunno), take the storage card out and then take a picture of a piece of paper with your contact information. That way, if you lose the camera, the first photo that comes up gives the finder everything needed to get your camera back to you. And, you don't have to re-take the photo every time you change storage cards.

3. I carry a laminated card in my first aid baggie that lists my blood type, prescription meds (dose and frequency), allergies, emergency contact info and my health insurance info.

4. Pee bottle.
    I cut a circle a threaded a thin cord around it to make a rock bag. Good idea for second use as pot scrubber.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

No need to bring more than one pair of underwear. To extend the life just turn em inside out... a true double duty item.

Quote Originally Posted by twilight View Post
    Kilt wearers, who go commando underneath. Be at the end of the line when hiking with a group going up hill. Nuff said.
    I rather enjoyed hiking behind them, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by twilight View Post
    good point pun/no pun

...not an image I'd want burned in my memory either.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++