WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default approach trail thoughts

all u that have hike the approach trial is it worth the extra 8 miles or should i just go to the forest road on spinger

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I hope you're not looking for The Right Answer.

As for me, I haven't hiked it and never will. Why would I hike a blue blazed trail to get to the AT?

I have hiked it. If you plan to leave a car at Springer or Amicalola, I would leave it at Amicalola, just seems safer, albeit I don't know if it actually is. I see no reason not to do the approach trail if your time permits. You get to see a nice waterfall at Amicalola Falls. However, if you have already seen the waterfall, I would say start at Springer parking lot.

Some say the approach trail is difficult, but I didn't think so. Sure it is a virtually constant uphill but it is fairly gradual and I did it just over 3 hours.

I have found though what many people consider difficult on AT to be not that bad. People say GA is tough. I mean, I guess. I have only done the first 120 miles of AT, but I haven't found any section I would categorize as difficult.

The most "difficult" sections of AT for me have been Blue Mt to Unicoi to Rocky Mt to Indian Grave Gap to Tray Mt. I guess the climb to Blood would be next.

Going back to the original question. I wouldn't say no to approach trail because (1) it is "difficult", (2) it is not the "true" AT. I would, however, say no to approach trail if (1) I don't have time to fit it in, (2) I have seen Amicalola Falls.

for me it was just easier to get dropped off at AFSP, weigh my pack, sign in and start walking i did this on all three of my thru's, i would advice anybody to hike the approach it's definately worth the effort.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    As for me, I haven't hiked it and never will. Why would I hike a blue blazed trail to get to the AT?
    This is more for anyone, but do what is best for the person nice enough to shuttle you.

I did the BMT with the approach trail first because it was easier for the person who shuttled me. On the AT, I chose the FS-42 way as the person shuttling me wanted to see the summit of Springer.

They were both good.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-06-2014 at 15:31.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    This is more for anyone, but do what is best for the person nice enough to shuttle you.
    I paid for my shuttles the first 2 times I was there and my wife took me the 3rd time and she didn't care.

If the only way I had to get there was someone who wanted to go to AFSP then sure, that's where I would start. But I would never get someone who *wouldn't* take me to FR 42 .. thus, I will likely never experience the blue blazed approach trail that is not the AT..

That's just me - I'm not saying that it's stupid to hike the approach trail or dissing anyone that does - just that I personally don't have the desire to do it.
    Last edited by 10-K; 10-06-2014 at 15:44.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Do whatever is easier for the person that's dropping you off at the park.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

In fact, just a few days ago I set up my 4th shuttle to the terminus - very specifically FR 42. It's as easy to get there as it is AFSP if you're paying for a shuttle....

If you're getting a friend or someone's taking you for free and they don't want to drive the dirt road then for sure - do what's best for them.

The way I interpret the OP's question is "All things being equal should I hike the approach trail?"

Images

For me it would depend on the road conditions at the time. I wouldn't drive up the FS road in bad conditions. Other than that there is nothing special about the approach trail except the falls which you don't even need to hike the approach trail to see.

Quote Originally Posted by barefooter333 View Post
    all u that have hike the approach trial is it worth the extra 8 miles or should i just go to the forest road on spinger
    I hiked it and enjoyed it. It is such a short distance in the big scheme of things, why not hike it?

I enjoyed the approach trail at the start of my 2013 thru....but to each his/her own.

Images

I've hiked it once in each direction. Southbound was easier It's a perfectly nice trail and leaving from the ranger station through the arch is kinda cool. It's under 9 miles, which is not much on a 2200 mile walk.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

thanks guys for all the great info as always. i might begin a section from either forest service road or at the approach trail to woody gap

Some years I hiked it. Some I didn't. Part of me feels that if you're thru-hiking, you oughta climb all the way up Springer, the same we you'll climb all the way up Katahdin. Part of me feels this is crazy, as there are no white blazes til you get to the plaque up top. It's all good, you'll figure it out. But your trip doesn't really begin til that first step away from the plaque. Everything up to then is prelude and practice.

thanks guys for all the great info as always. i might begin a section from either forest service road or at the approach trail to woody gap
    Resupply and rehydrate water at Hawk Mt. shelter. There is little to no water for a 6 mile section until justus creek. Depending on pace that could be a 2 hr hike or a 1/2 day hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Chif View Post
    I hiked it and enjoyed it. It is such a short distance in the big scheme of things, why not hike it?
    That's about all I wanted to say on the matter. You saved me the effort.

Journal Entries

My Q is why ask this Q? There are 2 ways to/from Springer, one is longer one is shorter, basically that is all.

If I were thru hiking I would hike the approach.
    If I were section hiking I would be more inclined to skip it.

I see no purpose wasting time walking stairs.

it's just a blue blaze trail. there are 100s of them off the AT. go to the forest road on springer

Journal Entries

if i skip the approach how long will it take to hike to woody gap

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++