WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Woof Shaven View Post
    I have the Data Book, the companion and AWOL. I am doing the Approach. AT LEAST I THINK I AM. Currently I am surfing more than reading those books. I don't know my start time on that big day but I assume I'll make it to the top just in time to camp that evening.

Are there good places to camp up there at the trail's beginning (relatively safe) or would it be better to figure out a way to make it to the first good shelter if that means skipping the approach after all.

Otherwise I don't mind doing the 8 blue blazed miles.
    Its 8.8 mi if I remember. Half a day. You can easily make it much farther if you want. Especially since next several mi are easy downhill grade.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Its 8.8 mi if I remember. Half a day. You can easily make it much farther if you want. Especially since next several mi are easy downhill grade.
    Half a day? For most folks just getting started it's the better part of a day, and a strenuous one at that. Most nobos don't do 17.6 mile days (2 x 8.8) until a week or two later.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barefooter333 View Post
    all u that have hike the approach trial is it worth the extra 8 miles or should i just go to the forest road on spinger
    Plan to hike it because "I may never pass this way again" so why not. And if I am going to worry about doing 8 miles, what the heck am I doing thinking about doing 2200, give or take one or two, but you need to HYOH for your own reasons.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

I did the stairs at the falls in March 2014....did the Smokies in 2012. did Shannondoha in 1988. and other little sections over the years....
    I will start above the falls in 2015 and I feel that "once is enough....." so, will I have done the trail or not....????
    I say...."HIKE, THE HIKE YOU WANT...OR NEED."
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Half a day? For most folks just getting started it's the better part of a day, and a strenuous one at that.
    Yeah, this. Beginning long distance hikers are not (should not be) doing 15 or 20 miles per day out of the gate. Can some do that? Sure. But most can't.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Depends, we hiked that section in July and shuttled into Nimblewell Gap. Hiked to Hawk Mountain the first day then Gooch Mountain on day two. Hit Woody midday on day three. Hiking with three adults and four kids 12-15 years old, so mileage was set a bit short. Water was getting a bit hard to find at times. I like Nimblewell because it avoids the mile hike south to Springer then back North to FR 42, and it cuts the approach down to about two miles. I have hiked the approach on more than one occaision, and while it is not anything too crazy, it does seem like a pointless up to start things off with. I agree with the post that if you are through hiking, it is just another couple of miles but if oyu are sectioning, it may not be worth the time and effort. Hiker Hostel in Dahlonaga handled our shuttle and parking. No complaints on their service.

Driving to the top of a mountain is just wrong!
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

As someone who aspires to hike the AT southbound one day, I prefer to think of it as the "Exit Trail."

And yes, I hope to hike it.

One thing not to be overlooked is the fact that a hike from Amicalola Falls to Springer is a walk from the Piedmont Province to the Blue Ridge Province. There is a subtle but noticeable change in vegetation communities and, for long distance hikers, is the only time they'll set foot on the Piedmont during their entire trip. In this way, its literally a walk from the flatlands up into the mountains.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Journal Entries
    Images

Most shuttle providers will charge you more to take you to the top of Springer. A thru-hike is about walking, so why not just walk to the top, by the approach trail.
    During my thru I walked the approach trail. After about a hour of walking I stopped for a break and to think about my thru-hike. I considered giving up then and there. I re-grouped and promised myself to give it a try for at least a week. I ended up walking the whole trail.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Most shuttle providers will charge you more to take you to the top of Springer. A thru-hike is about walking, so why not just walk to the top, by the approach trail.
    so why not just walk all the other blue blaze trails off the AT between GA and ME?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    so why not just walk all the other blue blaze trails off the AT between GA and ME?
    that sounds like something I would like to try one day, thank you Lone Wolf for inspiration.

Not a bad idea actually. I've been working on it...

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Not a bad idea actually. I've been working on it...
    Yah, me too. It's all just walking after all. Just about done with the Smokies - two trails left.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

I think I said this 40 or 50 posts ago....
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    there is a register ( a notebook in a metal box)at the first blaze on the rock on top of Springer Mountain- see my profile picture, I am on that rock. There is also a register at the ATC HQ in Harpers Ferry where they take your picture and list you as # xxxx passing thru Harpers Ferry. There is another register at Katahdin.
    on all three of my thru's I did sign the three mentioned registers, and on all three thru's I met people that signed them and people that didn't, I don't understand why signing these registers are so important to some folks you either sign them or you don't and the folks that didn't does that mean their thru didn't count.
    approach trail you either hike it or you don't it's your decision.
    these two topics is what everybody wanted to talk about on all three of my thru's, Why is these two topics so important to thru-hikers?

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Okay I'm lost already. The ATC says there is no official sign in/register yet I read on these forums about sign ins, registering, getting a number and weight ins. Can someone enlighten me?
    theirs NO official way to sign in. you either sign them or not.
    if you don't, it will not effect your thru-hike status upon completion, it's your decision.
    HYOH whatever that means to you.

Journal Entries

If I sleep with one girl in a sorority, do I have to sleep with all of them? Can I choose the ones I want to?

Quote Originally Posted by barefooter333 View Post
    all u that have hike the approach trial is it worth the extra 8 miles or should i just go to the forest road on spinger
    you live in GA. why not go day hike it and check it out for yourself? driving the FS Roads are kinda cool too!

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If I sleep with one girl in a sorority, do I have to sleep with all of them? Can I choose the ones I want to?
    Somebody's got to do it

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++