WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Question - looking at Tully Trail and the Greenway. Is it acceptable to pitch my tent adjacent to a shelter? I'd prefer to sleep in / try out my tent.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by denefi View Post
    Question - looking at Tully Trail and the Greenway. Is it acceptable to pitch my tent adjacent to a shelter? I'd prefer to sleep in / try out my tent.

Thanks!

When I hiked the Tully Trail I hung my hammock in the area of the shelter.

The Tully makes a nice loop, but if you start from the campground parking lot it's a bit lopsided, giving you something like 6 miles to the shelter, hiking the loop counter-clockwise, and then 14 miles back to the parking area the next day. There's also a bit of road walking on the western side of the loop.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

This is a about 5 hours from the greater Boston area and it gets pretty remote, but I've hiked Coast to Coast and this is among the most beautiful hikes I've ever done.
    http://www.hikenewengland.com/CutlerCoastME080610.html

I've done this hike 5 times, and try to do it once a year. It's an easy 9 miles, no big mountains, and there are primitive campsites at 4.5 miles The views are extraordinary. One of the few places in the North East you can camp right on the Coast and not be surrounded by 10,000 people.

My one word of caution is, this is pretty much the eastern most point in the United States. The days are getting short in New England but this is pretty much in a different time zone, so the days are even shorter. I would advice getting a hotel the night before somewhere North of Acadia.

On wednesday 10/22 im gonna hike from County road, oct mt state forest, to North adams. Leaving my car at Greylock community center, great safe parking for a small donation. Ill shuttle to county road and hike back to my car. right now weather is looking good

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Thanks!
    On the Tully Trail we stealth camped a few miles north of Royalston Falls. I've also stealth camped in that area on the New England Trail. I don't think anyone will have a problem with tenting near a shelter. The area around the shelter is pretty well trodden.

+1 on the Monadnock Sunapee Greeway Trail

Strong suggestion you consider the sunapee monadnock Greenway trail. Close to you and like a mini AT. Shelters, gentle climbs and nice views with the bonus of monadnock, which I would save for the end -a mini katahdin.little traveled gem.[/QUOTE]

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The Mt. Greylock area has some mellow terrain that is nice for a beginner backpacker... It was not quite 3 hrs from Providence, RI so it is well within your Boston range.

THe Moneybrook-Hopper trail loop takes in waterfalls, a small chunk of the AT, the highest point in Mass and, going down the Hopper, some rare New England old-growth forest (too steep to log or farm IIRC). The Thunderbolt Trail used to be used a ski area, too.

At 12 miles and 2400' gain it is about right for a mellow beginner overnight backpack.

I did it way back in 1997 and remember it being nice...

Details here in Hike #3 (Greylock in the Round)
    http://www.troop-63.com/Forms/Maps/M...ed%20Hikes.pdf

EDIT: Just realized you said 2-3 nights. You can extend this hike fairly easily. Still, a very lovely loop.

Last edited by Mags; 10-16-2014 at 13:51.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

AT 2012

Thanks!
    absolutely ok to pitch a tent near the shelters. I hung my hammock outside...
    Lazarus

So I'm opting for the Greenway and will be heading up tomorrow morning - very excited! Thanks to all for your guidance. I also spoke with someone at Tully and it looks like there's a triathlon there this weekend. Will definitely get there soon. Wrote a quick post for friends and family and will be following up with a trip recap afterward if anyone's interested: http://www.thebusquestion.com/blog/2...e-night-before

AT 2012

So I'm opting for the Greenway and will be heading up tomorrow morning - very excited! Thanks to all for your guidance. I also spoke with someone at Tully and it looks like there's a triathlon there this weekend. Will definitely get there soon. Wrote a quick post for friends and family and will be following up with a trip recap afterward if anyone's interested: http://www.thebusquestion.com/blog/2...e-night-before
    please let know how your trip goes!!!
    Lazarus

AT 2012

now you have me looking harder. How about a dog-bone loop circuit centered on goose pond in MA, with a leg up and around October Mountain State Forest and a leg down and around Beartown State Forest. Anyone ever explore those side trails off the AT? Know anything about those parks? I'm looking for a three day hike not too far from home for mid November.
    Lazarus

I'd be interested in this also. I have Thanksgiving week off and would like to do several nights but am concerned it'll be too cold.

And I'll definitely keep you posted! So far so good. Set up camp outside of a shelter. Had to haul in 7 liters of water (was told there's no source nearby). Can't wait to drink through it all.

Here's the recap: http://www.thebusquestion.com/blog/2...the-main-event

It was such a great time. There were a bunch of mini-challenges (no water source, cold night, rain), but the overnight really reinforced my excitement at doing next year's hike. I'll look to do the Tully trail soon as well, and will definitely get back on the Greenway.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Enjoyed your report. FWIW, if you're having trouble with the cat stove, it may be because you need a full windscreen, not a half one like you show in the photo. Also, cat stoves do much better with a wider pot. Yours looks narrow. And it looks like you were cooking one of those Knorr's pasta sides, right? In my experience, those things never cook well on an alcohol stove. The pasta needs more boil time than an alcohol stove can give. If you google around, you can find long lists of things that cook well with the boil water/rehydrate method on an alcohol stove: mac 'n cheese, instant potatoes, instant rice, yadda, yadda.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Enjoyed your report. FWIW, if you're having trouble with the cat stove, it may be because you need a full windscreen, not a half one like you show in the photo. Also, cat stoves do much better with a wider pot. Yours looks narrow. And it looks like you were cooking one of those Knorr's pasta sides, right? In my experience, those things never cook well on an alcohol stove. The pasta needs more boil time than an alcohol stove can give. If you google around, you can find long lists of things that cook well with the boil water/rehydrate method on an alcohol stove: mac 'n cheese, instant potatoes, instant rice, yadda, yadda.
    Thanks for taking a look! I did actually replace the windscreen in the picture with one that wraps around the full pot. I'll definitely do some looking around, though, to learn more about what does and doesn't work with an alcohol stove. I think I could also use a larger tin so as to hold more fuel and burn longer. I'm also wondering if hot drinks and an occasional rehydrated meal is sufficient, in which case I could opt for a smaller, lighter pot and stick with the alcohol stove. Will just have to gain more experience to see what does/doesn't work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++