WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Bearing in mind that the plural of anecdotes isn't evidence, I did want to relate one extremely personal experience - my dad went down, with ventricular fibrilation, one very hot day when he was out for a jog on the golf course near his home. Two lawyers (yeah, cue the jokes) were finishing their round of golf, saw him go, and started CPR. 911 was called, he got to the county hospital in good time, had the bypass, and 23 years later he's still with us, and still jogging.

Super-glad somebody took CPR!

Jane

Images

Latest update about the identify of the hiker

http://www.erwinrecord.net/Detail.ph...EPAGE&ID=61081
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

So sad. My sympathies to his family.

We all eventually reach that "moment" at the end of life. Reaching that moment in pursuit of something you love doing (like hiking up a mountain, fishing, golfing, etc) to me would be far more preferable than an auto accident or at one's desk. While sad for those left behind, there is some comfort he was engaged in something he loved doing when the moment came.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    We all eventually reach that "moment" at the end of life. Reaching that moment in pursuit of something you love doing (like hiking up a mountain, fishing, golfing, etc) to me would be far more preferable than an auto accident or at one's desk. While sad for those left behind, there is some comfort he was engaged in something he loved doing when the moment came.
    Thank you for putting into words so eloquently, what I have been thinking also. Very well said.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I would rather die when I'm 99 doing something I hate than die doing something I love when I'm 65......

Journal Entries

I kind of agree with 10-K. Another thought; if this is Hell, I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    While I feel sorry for the family and for their loss, I was going to say something similar. If I had to die of a massive Heart Attack I rather it happen while doing something I enjoy, like hiking, and not at my desk at work or on the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungOne View Post
    While I feel sorry for the family and for their loss, I was going to say something similar. If I had to die of a massive Heart Attack I rather it happen while doing something I enjoy, like hiking, and not at my desk at work or on the toilet.
    Either way, a heart attack is a horrifically painful and completely preventable cause of death. Whether you are doing something you like or not, don't let it happen to you.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I would rather die when I'm 99 doing something I hate than die doing something I love when I'm 65......
    It really depends on what you do with the 34 years between, doesn't it? And to just pound that point into the ground, since I'm not generally given to deep philosophical thinking, everything depends on what you do with the time you are given.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++